• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2018 Soil Mineralization Glog

Hi all! Now that the new year is here, it's time to swing into gear and get ready for the next season of growing chiles! I'll be starting my seeds in a few weeks, and after rotating the crops in my raised beds to get rid of the Pepper Maggots that showed up in 2016, I'll be able to plant a lot more this year. In the meantime, I thought I'd share what I do to prepare my garden soil for the start of the season. I've grown chiles in pots and in-ground, and for me at least, I seem to do better with the plants grown in the soil.

To start with, my garden soil is sandy, so I have to add lots of compost in the top six inches of soil to hold moisture and prevent nutrients from leaching away. Soil microbes break it down in just a few years though, so keeping it topped up is a yearly necessity. We compost our kitchen waste to that end, but there's never enough, so we also buy it from a local outfit that produces it commercially. I was put onto adding biochar as well by brother Scott (Devv.)  The biochar does the same things that humus does but it lasts longer and  helps the environment by sequestering carbon in the soil. I've also been reading about how amending with Montmorillonite clay can increase fertility and help with soil structure, but more on that in a future post.

At the end of each growing season I take soil samples from my various gardens and get them tested at Logan Labs in Ohio. They do a more thorough job than our UMass extension by testing for Cobalt, Molybdenum and Silicate levels as well as he usual suspects. :)    I'm taking a "Build and Maintain" approach toward soil nutrients because I want my plants to have the best organic nutrition available to them, and at the small scale I'm planting, it's affordable for me. http://nevegetable.org/cultural-practices/plant-nutrients  

Here's my last soil test, taken the end of November. It's the starting point for figuring what amendments I'll need when I prep my beds for planting in the spring. The pepper garden is bordered in yellow.
fall2017soiltest.png

In my next post I'll cover the math I use to figure that out. Cheers!

Looking excellently, Rick! Hooray for warmth! We might have similar weather. It'll be 68°F today, 78°F the next two days, then high 60's from there on. So I may start hardening off today. Love the onion/kale bed! Great selection of herbs, too! And the rain barrel looks like something I want to look in to. Professionalism all around!

Devv said:
Looking good Rick!

I like the straw, and it looks seed free ;)

I'm happy to see things warming up for you. It's always a good feeling to see things coming around as it warms.

Wishing you much success !
Bhuter said:
Looking excellently, Rick! Hooray for warmth! We might have similar weather. It'll be 68°F today, 78°F the next two days, then high 60's from there on. So I may start hardening off today. Love the onion/kale bed! Great selection of herbs, too! And the rain barrel looks like something I want to look in to. Professionalism all around! [emoji1303]
Thanks guys! We've all been ready for things to finally warm up in the north!
Some of my plants need to get outside quickly... there's a little leaf burn at the top of my growdown plant and the Kapias are starting to blossom.
b706ce56eaac0e802b61141d5a33d709.jpg

dd89ec9308dc9f7fb68a9f1d72c0b029.jpg

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

It was only supposed to get down to 40 degrees last night, so as an experiment, I planted one of my Tepin chiles in a corner of the herb bed and put a cloche over it that was made from a milk jug with the bottom cut off. It seems to have done the job... the chile looks pretty good this morning.
52afc591b08cecf3aa3b07c0c160074d.jpg
db6698a145d13d479f4dd26958293432.jpg

Devv said:
#1 in the dirt! Congrats ;)  An old trick is to put gallon jugs filled with water around the plant to hold in some of the afternoon heat. But I'm sure that's old news..
Thanks Scott! I know about the "wall-o-water" trick, but haven't used it before... I might have to this year. It'd be interesting to see if it works as well or better than a cloche.
b3rnd said:
Congrats! I hope the weather will be nice to the plant these first weeks of May. 
I certainly hope so B3rnd! The same for you.

The little Pequin that could is still doing OK in the herb bed. It's beginning to fork as well.
b9f4f52dce54444304a91e4ad368f954.jpg

I got all my Annuums outside this AM.
2d407d9c5b4f532a435de6a30bc7034a.jpg

The growdown plant got tip burn from the lights, but will be OK in the long run.
8d3fea00e9f61c4d678a22d8454cb392.jpg

stickman said:
Yup, the yellow flowers are daffodils.
Pink Naked Ladies? Which ones are they?

I got my onions and kale planted this morning. Next job is mulching them and setting up the rain barrel.

c6eeaab062ad104e1497df6f93c3bb6d.jpg
http://anneofgreengardens.com/blog/naked-ladies/

https://www.americanmeadows.com/flower-bulbs/other-spring-flower-bulbs/belladonna-lily

It says zone 7-11 but I am in 6a and they seem to do just fine, they were in the back yard when I moved in and I dug them up and moved them to the front yard.

The lake here has a flower garden and they are about to sell their tulips off in a couple days. I think you get 20 for 2 bucks so I will probably go grab 10-15 more bags.

Walchit said:
http://anneofgreengardens.com/blog/naked-ladies/

https://www.americanmeadows.com/flower-bulbs/other-spring-flower-bulbs/belladonna-lily

It says zone 7-11 but I am in 6a and they seem to do just fine, they were in the back yard when I moved in and I dug them up and moved them to the front yard.

The lake here has a flower garden and they are about to sell their tulips off in a couple days. I think you get 20 for 2 bucks so I will probably go grab 10-15 more bags.
Ah... that explains it. I've never heard of them because we're zone 5a here. They sure look nice though.

Walchit said:
They sprout the same time as the dafodils, I bet they would grow for you. Want me to get out my shovel?

I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll pass. We only have two tenths of an acre around our half of the duplex unit that we can plant how we want, and the Wife has it pretty much filled already. Cheers!

Devv said:
I must have missed the Onions dirt day, they look like they're in some good soil there buddy!

Glad to see the Annuum's outside. Can't beat it!

Thanks brother! It feels like each day we get a little closer to our goal of transplanting out. :party:

I'm thinking that this weekend will be time to plant the root and stem crops like carrots, beets and scallion, and maybe even the early lettuce like Black Seed Simpson. :)

Gittin' 'er done in the garden this weekend... I planted carrots, scallions and beets. The onions and kale I planted last week look fine if a bit dry. We're supposed to get some rain showers tomorrow... boy, I sure hope so. If not, I'll have to water. The Annuums in the cloche have been hardening off for the last week and are ready to go in the ground as soon as it warm up just a bit more.
20180505_075038.jpg

The parsley and thyme I transplanted during the week are looking good since I've been watering them well.
20180505_075322.jpg
20180505_075331.jpg

The perennial herbs are all making an appearance... like this mint and sage.
20180505_075251.jpg
20180505_075230.jpg

I got a couple loads of amendments for the various gardens... the near pile is a half a yard blend of compost and wood chips the supplier calls compo-mulch. The far pile is a yard of compost. I've already amended the veggie gardens, this is for my Wife's flower beds.
20180505_104130.jpg

Have a great weekend all!

Devv said:
Looking good Rick!

It's always a good day when one is out and about tending to the goodies growing. ;)
S'right brother! After getting the root and stem crops sowed I helped the Wife make some hardware cloth cages for our blueberries. We have a resident rabbit that gnawed most of the buds off of them over the winter. Not enough to kill them, fortunately, but enough to hold them back growth-wise for the last couple of years. This is gonna stop! She has a more tender heart than I do, so rabbit stew isn't an option. Therefore... the cages

Attachments

• 8b1883342a020fe1789fa478d90ddfd7.jpg
    8b1883342a020fe1789fa478d90ddfd7.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 45
Bhuter said:
Scrum!!! Is that bhut ketchup you've chosen?

Very nice cages! Wascally wabbits. I hope you get lots of blueberries, for yourselves, this year! I'll bet your wife's flower beds are gorgeous!!! Good stuff!
Cheers Adam! It's my "Rick's Red" hot sauce on the burrito, which is tomato based and has Bhuts in it, so d****d good guess! [emoji41]

Yeah, her flower beds are really eye-grabbing. [emoji4]

stickman said:
S'right brother! After getting the root and stem crops sowed I helped the Wife make some hardware cloth cages for our blueberries. We have a resident rabbit that gnawed most of the buds off of them over the winter. Not enough to kill them, fortunately, but enough to hold them back growth-wise for the last couple of years. This is gonna stop! She has a more tender heart than I do, so rabbit stew isn't an option. Therefore... the cages
Those cages look nice! What did you use for the top of them?

And I see you have them placed in the flower of life pattern, +1

Back