• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2018 Soil Mineralization Glog

Hi all! Now that the new year is here, it's time to swing into gear and get ready for the next season of growing chiles! I'll be starting my seeds in a few weeks, and after rotating the crops in my raised beds to get rid of the Pepper Maggots that showed up in 2016, I'll be able to plant a lot more this year. In the meantime, I thought I'd share what I do to prepare my garden soil for the start of the season. I've grown chiles in pots and in-ground, and for me at least, I seem to do better with the plants grown in the soil.

To start with, my garden soil is sandy, so I have to add lots of compost in the top six inches of soil to hold moisture and prevent nutrients from leaching away. Soil microbes break it down in just a few years though, so keeping it topped up is a yearly necessity. We compost our kitchen waste to that end, but there's never enough, so we also buy it from a local outfit that produces it commercially. I was put onto adding biochar as well by brother Scott (Devv.)  The biochar does the same things that humus does but it lasts longer and  helps the environment by sequestering carbon in the soil. I've also been reading about how amending with Montmorillonite clay can increase fertility and help with soil structure, but more on that in a future post.

At the end of each growing season I take soil samples from my various gardens and get them tested at Logan Labs in Ohio. They do a more thorough job than our UMass extension by testing for Cobalt, Molybdenum and Silicate levels as well as he usual suspects. :)    I'm taking a "Build and Maintain" approach toward soil nutrients because I want my plants to have the best organic nutrition available to them, and at the small scale I'm planting, it's affordable for me. http://nevegetable.org/cultural-practices/plant-nutrients  

Here's my last soil test, taken the end of November. It's the starting point for figuring what amendments I'll need when I prep my beds for planting in the spring. The pepper garden is bordered in yellow.
fall2017soiltest.png

In my next post I'll cover the math I use to figure that out. Cheers!

Chilidude said:
That chili in the small air-pot looks really nice.
Cheers Janne! It's not bad... 9 inches in 9 weeks. [emoji16]
Walchit said:
Yellow brainstrain!
Got it in one...give that man a cigar! ☺
Devv said:
The Yellow Brainstrain is an amazing pepper plant. I started mine 30 days after all the others due to contest rules. It's vigor is outstanding, it has outpaced everything else I have going. Now it just needs to pod up..LOL ;)
Cool! The only thing I have that's taller is the purple-pheno PDN x Bonda. It's about a foot tall and I only started it a week earlier.
Walchit said:
I tried to kill mine, they are coming around now
Good job that you were able to turn it around. What did you do to correct it?

Unfortunately it looks like another winter event here today. It's 32 degrees and dropping, and sleet and freezing rain are predicted. I brought the flats from the cloche inside for the duration... hopefully that'll be Winter's last shot at us in passing...
65412ac6bf61547630bcba2ba8d20004.jpg
9cf23a1fbc27e08c16e6db2ffff5ff08.jpg

Chilidude said:

You cant stop there then, you have to move the plant to a much larger air-pot when the time comes.
I'm aware that I should, but am currently most constrained by local climate and space in my grow box. The Air-pot is the best compromise I can make until more space with adequate light and warmth opens up. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Ask and you shall receive!... my wife wanted a grow shelf of her own to start her herbs and annual flowers so we broke the old setup out of mothballs and placed it in a south-facing window.
After allocating space for her needs, there was still enough for two 1020 trays to take some of the Annuums in solo cups. Now I could give all the seedlings room to spread out a bit and up-pot the growdown plant from a 1-liter to a 4-liter Air-pot. I'm starting to see a bit of yellow starting on the lower leaves, so I'll start feeding them twice a week instead of just once.
Cheers all!
b1e956651fd8a470eb0fd618bf9a4b4a.jpg
028a73f89f404066664a1757f17caf07.jpg
1f6bb602470130c25d814e6b40740c92.jpg
503be73ddc55c8a7da352f5aa616157e.jpg
906c8049cd9a35de989638da3deaf126.jpg
9ea8e844468b262cbeb9cbdc36d335c4.jpg

Looking great, Rick! Along with your awesome soil you're feeding, too. Are you feeding the little guys in solo cups? I'm only asking because I'm wondering if I should start feeding. Mine are only a month old and are in MG potting soil...which has minimal nutrients initially. Looked for dyna-gro 9-3-6 today, but no luck. Might have to order it or stick with MG.

stc3248 said:
Looking good Rick! I hope winter gives up soon...I have already harvested cherry tomatoes outdoors if it makes you feel any worse about it!

Oh great... get yourself a bucket of grits! Lol! [emoji14] The Pequins I started are looking pretty good. Have you started the ones I sent you yet?
20180419_115957.jpg

TrentL said:
This winter needs to end!

Heard on the radio today this is the coldest winter we've had in IL since 1908!

No argument here Trent! It's not really quite as bad as the springs I remember as a kid in the late 60s - early 70s, but it's the back-and-forth that pisses me off! :banghead:

Bhuter said:
Looking great, Rick! Along with your awesome soil you're feeding, too. Are you feeding the little guys in solo cups? I'm only asking because I'm wondering if I should start feeding. Mine are only a month old and are in MG potting soil...which has minimal nutrients initially. Looked for dyna-gro 9-3-6 today, but no luck. Might have to order it or stick with MG.

Yup. I was feeding once a week with General Organics nutes, but I've been noticing some yellowing in the lower leaves so I stepped up to twice a week with the feedings and it seems to be helping.

Sorry I haven't been around much folks... I've been home sick and sleeping a lot. Starting to feel a bit better now, so hopefully it's back to work on Monday at the latest. Cheers!

Hi folks, I was able to expand a bit when my Wife and I set up a few more shelves for seed starting last weekend, but I've already used up the new space for herbs, eggplants and tomatoes. I'm seeing the first tomatoes sprouting now... Pink Brandywine, Early Girl, Yellow Pear and Black Vernissage from Baker Creek.
990607bda11c2970375cf32f1e61a9dd.jpg

Of the first-wave Annuums... Kapia and Paprika plants are forking and beginning to blossom.
0568e5b485fc94663423213bd4e71c00.jpg
727d412a33a89071cf4f9bab7159d176.jpg

Look at the stem of the growdown plant!
53cfe2635bb1df700027d087c69ce6e8.jpg

Kapias and Paprikas en masse...
eb1bbe3599c4d1fc678ef1c532bc6049.jpg

Southwest chiles...
438c9325e3a4fcc36d0eede467bb0328.jpg

The Chinense Jungle! The White pheno PDN x Bonda has caught up with the Purple in height.
6b54a4eec3329671a1b2a6b02ddfe66b.jpg

Probably the furthest along in development if not in size is the Peruvian Rocoto.
f81679e38fbf98363a24d362bee26e34.jpg

Have a great evening all!

stickman said:
Cheers Bernard (?) ☺
Yeah... I want it to warm up so bad I can taste it! Lol! Hopefully that cold wind off the North Sea warms up soon for you too. At least I have some green to keep me (somewhat) sane until then.

Whoops, don't know how I missed your reply, sorry! It's just Bernd, haha. It's Austrian or something.

Your plants are looking great! I wish I could understand anything you did to your soil haha, I've just started my own garden from scratch.

Devv said:
Woot!

Good on ya! Those gals are screaming for the outside...

Should be really soon now eh?

Oooooh yah! I think by the end of the week it may be time to begin hardening off the Annuums at least. I think I'll hang onto the Chinense varieties a bit longer. They may be bigger, but I think they're also more susceptible to cold. The plan is to transplant the onions and kale into the veggie garden, set out the Annuums under the cloche to harden off, and spread the Chinense varieties out a bit more in the growbox as I grow out the herbs, tomatoes and eggplants. When the Annuums have hardened off, if the extended forecast looks good enough I'll transplant into the veggie garden under a cloche and move the Chinense outside to begin hardening off.

b3rnd said:

Whoops, don't know how I missed your reply, sorry! It's just Bernd, haha. It's Austrian or something.

Your plants are looking great! I wish I could understand anything you did to your soil haha, I've just started my own garden from scratch.

Cheers B3rnd! If you go online to the soil and health library you can find a copy of this book in Dutch... hopefully you'll find it useful. :)

​
 ​
De Intelligente Tuinier.
Hoe Men Voedingsstoffenrijk Voedsel Laat Groeien

Looking good! You asked what I did to turn my plants around, my first problems were overwatering and maybe nutrient deficiency, but when I went out of town I didn't have the wife feed them and they were very yellow when I got back. I hit them with a diluted cocktail of nutrients for like 4 waterings in a row, then now I feed them every other watering. Still some doing rough but for the most part all is good

b3rnd said:

Thank you so much! Very interesting stuff.

S'right brother... I highly recommend it! :)

Walchit said:
Looking good! You asked what I did to turn my plants around, my first problems were overwatering and maybe nutrient deficiency, but when I went out of town I didn't have the wife feed them and they were very yellow when I got back. I hit them with a diluted cocktail of nutrients for like 4 waterings in a row, then now I feed them every other watering. Still some doing rough but for the most part all is good

Yeah, we start off feeding our seedlings lightly so as not to burn the roots... it always surprises me how quickly they start demanding more! ;)

Bhuter said:
Great looking everything! Especially the Peruvian Rocoto. It's growing vertically! The brown Rocoto I grew last year grew laterally. A little different to control.
After it forked, the Peruvian Rocoto started to grow out laterally as well. Each branch has split 3 times, and each time has been horizontal.

stickman said:
After it forked, the Peruvian Rocoto started to grow out laterally as well. Each branch has split 3 times, and each time has been horizontal.

Have you been clipping the horizontal branches? Train them to grow vertically? Is that how that works?

Bhuter said:
Have you been clipping the horizontal branches? Train them to grow vertically? Is that how that works?
No clipping involved... it just decided to grow that way. I'll post pics when I get home.

Back