• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2018 Soil Mineralization Glog

Hi all! Now that the new year is here, it's time to swing into gear and get ready for the next season of growing chiles! I'll be starting my seeds in a few weeks, and after rotating the crops in my raised beds to get rid of the Pepper Maggots that showed up in 2016, I'll be able to plant a lot more this year. In the meantime, I thought I'd share what I do to prepare my garden soil for the start of the season. I've grown chiles in pots and in-ground, and for me at least, I seem to do better with the plants grown in the soil.

To start with, my garden soil is sandy, so I have to add lots of compost in the top six inches of soil to hold moisture and prevent nutrients from leaching away. Soil microbes break it down in just a few years though, so keeping it topped up is a yearly necessity. We compost our kitchen waste to that end, but there's never enough, so we also buy it from a local outfit that produces it commercially. I was put onto adding biochar as well by brother Scott (Devv.)  The biochar does the same things that humus does but it lasts longer and  helps the environment by sequestering carbon in the soil. I've also been reading about how amending with Montmorillonite clay can increase fertility and help with soil structure, but more on that in a future post.

At the end of each growing season I take soil samples from my various gardens and get them tested at Logan Labs in Ohio. They do a more thorough job than our UMass extension by testing for Cobalt, Molybdenum and Silicate levels as well as he usual suspects. :)    I'm taking a "Build and Maintain" approach toward soil nutrients because I want my plants to have the best organic nutrition available to them, and at the small scale I'm planting, it's affordable for me. http://nevegetable.org/cultural-practices/plant-nutrients  

Here's my last soil test, taken the end of November. It's the starting point for figuring what amendments I'll need when I prep my beds for planting in the spring. The pepper garden is bordered in yellow.
fall2017soiltest.png

In my next post I'll cover the math I use to figure that out. Cheers!

Trident chilli said:
Like the sauce Rick my mouth is watering ... great to see your ready to plant outside I think we are close now just need the night time temperatures to rise a bit

Hope the cages protect your wife's plants

Glad you liked the look of the burrito, it tasted great with a bit of sour cream and some guacamole salad. :drooling: It looks like we're pretty much in the same boat weather-wise. Overnight low temps here are consistently around  5 degrees C. I'm thinking I'll plant the Annuums in the next few days, and when they get to around 10 C I'll plant the Chinense varieties.

Walchit said:
Those cages look nice! What did you use for the top of them?

And I see you have them placed in the flower of life pattern, +1

Thanks Andy! They're solidly built and should last a while. We over-wrapped the top of the cylinder with white Gorilla Tape to smooth over the sharp ends of the wire. The plan is that as long as they're in place, it'll keep out the 4-legged critters and it'll be easy to cover them with netting to keep out the birds as well.  Who knew that the blueberries were laid out in a "mystical" pattern... did you hear about it in an ink shop?

I've got the tomatoes and eggplants I'll be transplanting up-potted into 4 inch peat pots. I'll keep them in the growbox downstairs until they take hold in their new shoes, then move them to the cloche to harden off.

Have a great rest of the weekend all!
4bd94dcc4997003d5c49d4619fb9fac9.jpg

Hey... the Annuum chiles are starting to bloom! Woot! First one out of the gate is the Tepin.
The growdown plant is much happier outside. The tip wasn't badly burned after all, and the axillary growth in the upper half of the plant shot out about 5 inches. It looks like it's gonna be a heckova bush!
16b033d42e0f03e6cc08b2dda1782568.jpg
cee7aa6ef2690989028a76c34d93abf6.jpg
1aac81a074933163f0602942ee3d8d93.jpg

It's looking like dirt day is gonna be this weekend if weather conditions continue as they are.

Have a great week all!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Who knew that the blueberries were laid out in a "mystical" pattern... did you hear about it in an ink shop?

Not exactly lol. Wouldn't mind having a little of it on me though. It's carved in some ancient hieroglyphics somewhere, can't remember where.

images-9.jpg

It's just a bunch of circles but when you line them up right things get weird. I may be guilty of watching some weird internet videos

tsurrie said:
Oooo, blooming, greeat.... mine are still too small and I'd pluck them flowers if they appear.
Tasty looking burrito btw. Keep it up Rick.

Cheers Uros! I hope things have finally warmed up enough for you that your plants are stretching out now.

Walchit said:
Who knew that the blueberries were laid out in a "mystical" pattern... did you hear about it in an ink shop?

Not exactly lol. Wouldn't mind having a little of it on me though. It's carved in some ancient hieroglyphics somewhere, can't remember where.

attachicon.gif
images-9.jpg

It's just a bunch of circles but when you line them up right things get weird. I may be guilty of watching some weird internet videos

Heh... I may be guilty of the same thing, but I ain't sayin' nuttin... [emoji6]

Essegi said:
Hi Rick, i passed by to check, glad to see that all looks good!
Cheers Giancarlo, I hope all is well with you too. [emoji4]

Good morning, and a Happy Hump Day to you all! It's been dry and cool here for the last week and a half so there hasn't been much to report until now. I transplanted most of the Annuums into the pepper row in my veggie garden on Sunday morning.
20180516_070951.jpg

I ran out of space for the Pequins and Tepins, but will transplant them after work today now that I've cleared a space for them. Once the Annuums were moved out of the cloche, I moved the Chinense varieties, tomatillos, tomatoes and eggplants into it to harden off...
20180516_070458.jpg
20180516_070516.jpg

...including the Douglah plant I over-wintered upstairs. After hardening off for a week, those should be ready to transplant this weekend.
20180516_070235.jpg

Spring continues to emerge here... the lilacs and azaleas are starting to bloom, and I saw my first Hummingbird this weekend.
20180516_070537.jpg
20180516_070550.jpg

It's a relief to finally shut down the growbox down cellar. It was such an energy hog it pushed up our electric bill to a little over $40! [emoji16]  Note to self: start the Chinense varieties later next year... they got too tall too quick, and the last couple of weeks the lights burned the tips a bit. They'll survive to thrive this year, but I'll try to avoid the stress to the plants and the expense of running the lights too long in future.
Cheers all!

Hi folks! I finally got my Pequins and Tepins planted today, and this weekend I'll plant the rest of the nightshades after they've had a week to harden off. They're predicting rain and drizzle on Saturday, and I hope it comes. The new transplants will need it.  Cheers!
20180517_165017.jpg

Devv said:
Yeah baby! Dirt day!

Wishing your season the best ;)
Cheers Scott... I'm looking forward to being "all in!" [emoji2]
b3rnd said:
Looking good man! The plants are really reaching to the sky already. Love the azaleas, too. My rhododendron has been in full-on bloom since last week:

d84ec0e65f6235d389a89db27f5135eb.jpg

By the way, check what dropped in my mailbox today:

cabd0bcb423abd706aa45d478fbc0760.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn PRA-LX1 met Tapatalk
Nice B3rnd! Glad to see it's finally warmed up for you. Very cool you got the book. The more food you can grow for yourself, the more good it'll do you. The results I got last year using those methods really sold me!

My Wife's irises are out now!
c4cf6e3af6297b0040d68f03f33f2a08.jpg

26d4a96e09656c6fb1f6d95d2a992878.jpg

TGIF all!

Walchit said:
Looking great! I wish I would have grabbed one weed mat before I planted but didnt have time. Gonna have to weasel something in between all my plants now lol
Heh, we've all done stuff like that Andy, don't feel alone. [emoji849] Good to hear you're in the ground... woot!

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
I think I'm going to have to invest in them air pots next season!  :shh:
If you do, you'll have to water more often, but overall I think you'll like them. [emoji4]

In the course of running errands today, I found a plant nursery that was selling some Orange Manzanos and I couldn't resist buying a couple. ...My name is Rick, and I'm a pepper-holic... [emoji6]

Supper tonight was Korean-style pancakes... Buchujeon... made with scallops and garlic chives from the garden, with cabbage kimchi and a soy-based dipping sauce.
ee7757570121b36dcd8afc73c7498fd3.jpg
748738077fd9ddd56d86ae97ff96822c.jpg

Orange Manzanos?! I'd be all over it! I have seeds for it, but both times I tried, I couldn't get them to germinate. Maybe too old. I'm hoping my nursery has good stuff. I know they have an Ethiopian Brown which grew true last time and maybe even a sugar rush peach. Just going by fb pics. I always buy a reaper from there cuz they're usually spot on. But their datil was an annuum. So it's hit or miss. It's where I found the Bishop's Crown that I always grow that was labeled as a mushroom pepper. Lol

Beautiful irises and lilacs. Our lilacs are blooming too! Nice annuum garden and I see solar mulch! Great stuff, Rick!

Bhuter said:
Orange Manzanos?! I'd be all over it! I have seeds for it, but both times I tried, I couldn't get them to germinate. Maybe too old. I'm hoping my nursery has good stuff. I know they have an Ethiopian Brown which grew true last time and maybe even a sugar rush peach. Just going by fb pics. I always buy a reaper from there cuz they're usually spot on. But their datil was an annuum. So it's hit or miss. It's where I found the Bishop's Crown that I always grow that was labeled as a mushroom pepper. Lol

Beautiful irises and lilacs. Our lilacs are blooming too! Nice annuum garden and I see solar mulch! Great stuff, Rick!
Bhuter said:

Cheers Adam! It's sometimes hard to find viable Manzano seeds. I think it's because they ripen so slowly that people pick them a little too soon. Have you got your main grow in-ground yet?

I was at our farmer's market in town this morning, and saw Aleppo pepper plants. I think you all know where I'm going here... [emoji849]

The Chinense and Pubiscens varieties are all transplanted as of today. The middle pic is my throwdown plant.

Just have to mulch the scallions and root crops when they sprout and get a little size, make a trellis for the pole beans and get them planted. Then the veggie garden will be all in barring succession plantings of lettuce and cilantro.

Have a productive Saturday all!

3e91f4fa035fcbf43339823674d6ce72.jpg
cc785a61b35a9100020a1651aff25ee1.jpg
9341b57b0ceba5af0be962ee35e54545.jpg

stickman said:
Cheers Adam! It's sometimes hard to find viable Manzano seeds. I think it's because they ripen so slowly that people pick them a little too soon. Have you got your main grow in-ground yet?

I was at our farmer's market in town this morning, and saw Aleppo pepper plants. I think you all know where I'm going here... [emoji849]

Oh no kidding?! We need a farmers market around here for both buying and selling. Aleppo plants? I'm there. I have seeds for Aleppo from Edmick that I'm excited to try...next year, of course. Yes! I finally got my main plants in-ground yesterday before and as it rained. Tilled, laid plastic down, and planted 28 peppers.
bEP3o2a.jpg

:woohoo:

Bhuter said:
Oh no kidding?! We need a farmers market around here for both buying and selling. Aleppo plants? I'm there. I have seeds for Aleppo from Edmick that I'm excited to try...next year, of course. Yes! I finally got my main plants in-ground yesterday before and as it rained. Tilled, laid plastic down, and planted 28 peppers.
bEP3o2a.jpg

:woohoo:
Yesss!! Michigan's gonna warm up now!

Devv said:
Good to see my buddies up North in the dirt!
Cheers Scott! It looks like some of the chiles are hitting the ground running! The Tepins are blooming and setting pods already, and the Goat's Weeds are right behind. [emoji4]

The last pic is of my over-wintered Scorzonera putting out flower stalks. Cheers all!
7adec7e96f6d3993e45888fccef7f6f8.jpg
e3127756eb3669bad7e7bae01eea5f0d.jpg
06f948deeda73a941f96b24f7b64fa38.jpg

Hi folks! Well there's no doubt about it... the peppers got off to a pretty rocky start here. I think the growbox encouraged them to grow too much too fast. They seemed to harden off OK in the cloche, but when transplanted outside they got hit with a combination of cool temperatures, wind and only a little rain. Lots of leaf burn and leaf drop... especially the Chinense varieties. :confused: The good news is that the plants themselves seem to be on the rebound. Axillary growth is kicking in, and before too long should catch up since the plants all have great root systems. I've decided to see how well the plants will do without drip irrigation this year, so I've cut the bottoms off of some half-liter water bottles and half-buried them next to the plants to funnel the water I give them down next to the roots.

Yellow Brainstrain in the background and a Red Bhut in the foreground.
20180527_092947.jpg

Growdown Yellow Brainstrain in the background and the other Red Bhut in the foreground. The Bhuts were the hardest hit for sure.
20180527_092957.jpg

Ignoring the Growdown plant in the very back, the OW Douglah in the background and the Purple PDN x Bonda in the foreground.
20180527_093011.jpg

Left foreground is the White PDN x Bonda, two MoA Bonnets in the middle and a Red Rocoto in the right background.
20180527_093025.jpg

The two Red Rocotos
20180527_093035.jpg

The two Orange Manzanos
20180527_093047.jpg

The Growdown plant is in the best shape of all of them.
20180527_093226.jpg

20180527_093233.jpg

A closer look at one of the Red Bhuts showing the axillary growth.
20180527_093249.jpg

The 'maters are doing very well with just a thick straw mulch. I hope this method yields fewer problems with blossom end rot this year.
20180527_094346.jpg

The Annuums are doing much better. More pics of them later. Cheers all!

Back