• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stupid Jerk's stupid grow log for jerks

I think it is safe to say that my girlfriend now regrets bringing home a cayenne plant this July. It sparked an interest in me that has lead me to spend countless hours reading about gardening, filling the windows and balcony with plants and seedlings, purchasing a grow light, and ultimately joining a community garden. I've decided it is time I start documenting my journey.

Grow list:
7 Pot Congo Yellow (Denniz)
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Jonah (Denniz)
7 Pot Primo (socalchilehead)
7 Pot Red (Denniz)
7 Pot SR Congo (socalchilehead)
7 Pot Yellow
Bahamian Goat Pepper (socalchilehead)
Biker Billy Jalapeno (ajijoe)
Black Pearl
Black Cobra (smokemaster)
Bhut Jolokia
Butch T (Denniz)
Butch T x Douglah (Denniz)
Carolina Reaper
Cherry
Chile Tepin (socalchilehead)
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Bhut x Yellow 7 pot (socalchilehead)
Chocolate Habanero (ajijoe)
Datil
Fatalii
Fresno (Grocery Store Pod)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (Pogeys)
Morouga Scorpion (Denniz)
Purple Jalapeno
Red Habanero
Scotch Bonnet (Turns out to be an Anuum, so we'll call these Notch Bonnets)
Scotch Bonnet Foodorama (socalchilehead)
Scotch Bonnet Tobago Yellow (socalchilehead)
Scotch Bonnet Tobago Red (socalchilehead)
Surprise Hot Mix (ajijoe)
Thai (Grocery Store Pod)
White Bullet
Yellow Brainstrain (Denniz)

These are plants that I have obtained as adults:

Aji Yellow (smokemaster)
Habanero (home depot)
Peach Bhut (smokemaster)
White Pearl (smokemaster)
Yellow 7 Pot (smokemaster)

I have a limited amount of space, so most varieties will only have one plant in the ground.

Here is a before picture of the garden:
pwhDt.jpg

It's a 400 sq foot plot and over half of it was filled with nutsedge. I have since pulled out the nutsedge and hopefully most of the roots. Filled a massive wheelbarrow with all that I pulled out. I tried eating one of the tubers because I read they were edible, but I wouldn't recommend it. It was the consistancy of an almond, but the taste of a dirty pine needle. Maybe they are good roasted.

Growing in the ground is going to be a new adventure that I am no way prepared for. I suppose I need to do a soil test before I attempt to amend the soil. Completely organic is the plan, but I've seen a few tiny green balls in the soil, and as far as I know that means slow release Miracle Gro. On the positive side(I think?) there is a bark mulch that is mixed through the entire garden that has started breaking down throughout. You can see some of it near the pavement in the first picture. Not sure what kind of wood it is.

If anyone has any advice, feel free to chime in. I built a fence with 2x8's around the bottom. I plan on having a 2' wide 8" raised bed around the perimeter along with 3 raised beds in the center. The ones in the center may have to wait a while unless I find someone getting rid of some wood. In the mean time I plan on just mounding the ground up in those areas. I see a lot of my neighbors still have chili plants with ripe or ripening pods on them, but I think I'm waiting until mid January to early February to plant them out.(edit: planted out in March) It hasn't frosted since I moved here, but I supposed it is possible.(edit: It happened this year)

stc3248 said:
I had to trim back some of my tomatoes last year...won't hurt 'em! Or just lay them over away from the peppers! Everything is looking freaking awesome! Your Fatalii looks to be a cross though??? Should be more pointed...great looking pods none the less! Your neighbor's spot is rockin for sure!
There's a good chance it is a cross, it was from a open pollinated source.

Yeah, those neighbors know what they are doing. I've never met them, they must be early morning gardeners. I don't think I've ever made it to my plot before 11 AM. They have that wall of beans climbing up their fence with tomatoes just behind them. They aren't chileheads, just have a few annuums in the center. I think I might build up the fence and do something similar as far as beans go next year. I'd really like to meet them and chat, but showing up at the garden at 7 am doesn't really fit with my schedule. It's nice because they keep organic and pesticide free, so does the guy whose fence backs up to mine, and next to them are a couple abandoned plots, so we have a nice little mini-ecosystem going. I get a pass as the new guy, because of the California Poppies and Sunflowers my fiance planted out front are bringing all of the bees and parasitic wasps/flies in. The one guy said they had fewer and fewer bees every year until I planted those, so it's nice to be able to contribute and pretend I did that on purpose.

I'm thinking a motion detector and a GnR recording of "Welcome to the Jungle" plays whenever anyone gets within 3 feet of your grow!

Awesome job!

Chocolate Bhut Jolokia finally starting to develop pods:
xmnoDy4.jpg

This second pod on Lock's Reaper is showing signs of bumpiness. Plant genetics are interesting:
ukxChIL.jpg

Tomato and pepper harvest:
E6nnfuR.jpg

I have to pick the tomatoes as soon as they start to turn color or the raccoons come through and take a bite out of each one.
Just the hotties:
lS9nsqr.jpg

Anyone have a guess on the orange ones? They are ones that were supposed to be red chinense Scotch Bonnets.

I think Shane was right and they are the Jamaican Yellow Mushrooms. Some of the newer pods are shaped more like the JYMs in a google image search. Good flavor, sweet & fruity, and somewhere between a Serrano and an Orange Habanero in heat.

Now it's time to make some salsa!

They look very much like JYM pods...but are more elongated. Very close though...is there chinense in the flavor? Mine last year were unmistakably annuum with definite chinense heat and flavor mixed in. Look to be great pods regardless...baby bhuts and nice pulls, you're no so stupid after all JERK!

Yeah, I've always thought they were annuums. One flower per node, bigger flowers, and smaller leaves. The rest of the pods aren't quite as long, so I think this is another case of the first pods being weirdos. I can see what you're saying about them having the chinense flavor, but I'm not too versed considering I've only ever had 4 cultivars of fresh chinense pods so far.

Nice pull Carson!

I too have to pick the Maties as soon as the start to color up or the birds eat them, the ripen just fine on the table:)

I don't know if you mentioned it or not...what kind of camera did you buy?

I must say a very good job on the pics, I can see a big difference!

Keep that great grow going!

lock203 said:
Very nice!

I'm glad that reaper is throwing off pods that don't resemble the hab looking one it came from.
I was kind of looking forward to it considering I have a couple other Reapers growing, but either way is great. I'll compare it to the heat and flavor of the reapers I have from Pepper Joe and see which I like better.

smileyguy697 said:
Looking good carson! Were they hot?
Not too hot. Honestly the Thais are the hottest out of that group, the Jamaican Yellow Mushrooms have the best flavor. 

Devv said:
Nice pull Carson!

I too have to pick the Maties as soon as the start to color up or the birds eat them, the ripen just fine on the table:)

I don't know if you mentioned it or not...what kind of camera did you buy?

I must say a very good job on the pics, I can see a big difference!

Keep that great grow going!
Thanks!

It's just a cheap point and shoot from Samsung that I got on a 24-sale on yugster for $100. This is the model, looks like it never was for sale in the US, which makes sense considering it came with only a European power adapter. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-ST200-Compact-Camera-Optical/dp/B009AQUG7M

The American model only comes in purple for some reason and runs about $130: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-ST200F-Long-Smart-Camera/dp/B007261AGI

The upward facing pod phenotype of the f2 grocery store Thais are drying right as they start to turn red on while still on the plant. There are a few half red/half green dried pods on the plant. Has anyone else seen this happen? I didn't have my camera today, but I'll get pictures next time I'm at the garden.

Yeah...it happens with some varieties. My (not) PI 438638 is doing that this season. Some even dry green...don't know why??? Could have to do with conditions such as heat and water coupled with the plant trying to develop more pods than it can support.

stc3248 said:
Yeah...it happens with some varieties. My (not) PI 438638 is doing that this season. Some even dry green...don't know why??? Could have to do with conditions such as heat and water coupled with the plant trying to develop more pods than it can support.
jddM1iS.jpg

Some of the newer pods look like they might ripen without drying. It's pretty odd though, they all dry/ripen around the same time. I've been keeping it a little more evenly water, so that might help. Plants are finally getting watered 2 times a week. They are going to need it with this heat wave that just hit. Hopefully I don't get too much flower drop, things were finally starting to set well for me.
y3Wvorf.png

Nice and toasty.

My reaper from PJ seeds has finally started to set its first pod. Plant looks like hell, but at least it's starting to produce. We'll see how what phenotype it produces soon. I think I planted this thing originally in November or so, and I've almost killed it about 5 times. It was one of my more abused "learning" plants.
wHObB1F.jpg

Lock's Reaper is producing some gnarly looking pods. This plant is growing big and strong, just like it's late mother.
RaO4ZM4.jpg

Not sure want this is, maybe another Fatalii? Anyone?
A7kXql1.jpg

Douglah really starting to pod up:
dIbyHsc.jpg

7 Pot Congo SR Gigantic starting to put out some big pods. Anyone else feel like the breeder missed a perfect opportunity to name this thing King Congo?
pELkS18.jpg

7 Pot Red also podding up. You can see some flea beetle damage from a while, but it really doesn't bother me. I left them alone and eventually something came along and kept them in check.
7ePW1PD.jpg

This mystery, maybe chiltepin, is doing pretty awesome. It's about to explode with pods.
v6Dq4FJ.jpg

gsGQ3OH.jpg

I could use a bump about now...

Thanks Oski

Prik De Nu Suan Don Shamalamadingdong aka Rat Turd

VvZP1OR.jpg

It's my grow down non-competition one, although I think it's going to outdo the competition one in the long run.

These chiltepins are going to make an awesome bonchi some day. This is two plants tied together in a knot and fused.
dxQ7Jmc.jpg

The knot. It reminds me of a shedded snake skin.
5Ojn2S5.jpg

Speaking of snakes, the balcony Black Cobra is 50" tall and finally started opening flowers today. Lets hope the triple digit temperatures don't make them fall off.
Sw2MD8X.jpg

Bahamian Goat Pepper:

lap6Od9.jpg

A neglected Butch T and Chocolate Hab that I had on my balcony, gave them away to a better home today. A poor soul growing a bunch of peppers, but no superhots got these.

pil3YXM.jpg

Today's harvest:
2whlSMd.jpg

The one on the left is my first Fatalii, which tasted awesome.

StupidJerk said:
The upward facing pod phenotype of the f2 grocery store Thais are drying right as they start to turn red on while still on the plant. There are a few half red/half green dried pods on the plant. Has anyone else seen this happen? I didn't have my camera today, but I'll get pictures next time I'm at the garden.
Yes.... 2 Cayenne plants did that to me last year....not one pod ripened on the plants without drying up... so I harvested pods green, strung them up with thread, and hung them to dry slowly, and most of the pods reddened up during the air drying process....

DesertChris said:
Yes.... 2 Cayenne plants did that to me last year....not one pod ripened on the plants without drying up... so I harvested pods green, strung them up with thread, and hung them to dry slowly, and most of the pods reddened up during the air drying process....
I might try that. I'm not too worried about it, I planned on using that those guys for powder anyway.

That reminds me... last year, my gal came home with a bunch of thai peppers from the farmers market...basically a section of branches with pods all over the place... half of the pods were green.... I let them all ripen up on their own.... air dry style.

Carson,

Grow looks fantastic, liking those pods you have everywhere!

And the harvest are growing as well... :dance:

Have a great weekend and continue to show us your great progresses!

Hey, SJ, your grow is top-notch - lots of great plants.
Your garden cup runneth over - you have a lot of stuff in there!

Kudos on the new camera - great pod pics.
Keep up the good work, Carson!

Congrats on new cam, pics and everything’s looking great except the temps but we have them too right now and they’ll get worse as our summer continues here :/ Love the look of your [SIZE=10.5pt]Bahamian Goat Pepper ^_^[/SIZE]

Great hauls you are getting \o/

Have a great weekend ...

Back