• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stupid Jerk's stupid grow log for jerks

I think it is safe to say that my girlfriend now regrets bringing home a cayenne plant this July. It sparked an interest in me that has lead me to spend countless hours reading about gardening, filling the windows and balcony with plants and seedlings, purchasing a grow light, and ultimately joining a community garden. I've decided it is time I start documenting my journey.

Grow list:
7 Pot Congo Yellow (Denniz)
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Jonah (Denniz)
7 Pot Primo (socalchilehead)
7 Pot Red (Denniz)
7 Pot SR Congo (socalchilehead)
7 Pot Yellow
Bahamian Goat Pepper (socalchilehead)
Biker Billy Jalapeno (ajijoe)
Black Pearl
Black Cobra (smokemaster)
Bhut Jolokia
Butch T (Denniz)
Butch T x Douglah (Denniz)
Carolina Reaper
Cherry
Chile Tepin (socalchilehead)
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Bhut x Yellow 7 pot (socalchilehead)
Chocolate Habanero (ajijoe)
Datil
Fatalii
Fresno (Grocery Store Pod)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (Pogeys)
Morouga Scorpion (Denniz)
Purple Jalapeno
Red Habanero
Scotch Bonnet (Turns out to be an Anuum, so we'll call these Notch Bonnets)
Scotch Bonnet Foodorama (socalchilehead)
Scotch Bonnet Tobago Yellow (socalchilehead)
Scotch Bonnet Tobago Red (socalchilehead)
Surprise Hot Mix (ajijoe)
Thai (Grocery Store Pod)
White Bullet
Yellow Brainstrain (Denniz)

These are plants that I have obtained as adults:

Aji Yellow (smokemaster)
Habanero (home depot)
Peach Bhut (smokemaster)
White Pearl (smokemaster)
Yellow 7 Pot (smokemaster)

I have a limited amount of space, so most varieties will only have one plant in the ground.

Here is a before picture of the garden:
pwhDt.jpg

It's a 400 sq foot plot and over half of it was filled with nutsedge. I have since pulled out the nutsedge and hopefully most of the roots. Filled a massive wheelbarrow with all that I pulled out. I tried eating one of the tubers because I read they were edible, but I wouldn't recommend it. It was the consistancy of an almond, but the taste of a dirty pine needle. Maybe they are good roasted.

Growing in the ground is going to be a new adventure that I am no way prepared for. I suppose I need to do a soil test before I attempt to amend the soil. Completely organic is the plan, but I've seen a few tiny green balls in the soil, and as far as I know that means slow release Miracle Gro. On the positive side(I think?) there is a bark mulch that is mixed through the entire garden that has started breaking down throughout. You can see some of it near the pavement in the first picture. Not sure what kind of wood it is.

If anyone has any advice, feel free to chime in. I built a fence with 2x8's around the bottom. I plan on having a 2' wide 8" raised bed around the perimeter along with 3 raised beds in the center. The ones in the center may have to wait a while unless I find someone getting rid of some wood. In the mean time I plan on just mounding the ground up in those areas. I see a lot of my neighbors still have chili plants with ripe or ripening pods on them, but I think I'm waiting until mid January to early February to plant them out.(edit: planted out in March) It hasn't frosted since I moved here, but I supposed it is possible.(edit: It happened this year)

Some pod shots:

7 Pot Douglah:
wdxAlOC.jpg

Choc Hab:
ZiUbxOZ.jpg

Fatalii:
J2bV2D9.jpg

Datil:
SUMGKfh.jpg

Supposed to be Biker Billy, but I think it was from saved seeds, so probably an f2.  Hottest Jalapenos I've ever tried:
dMDLQnn.jpg

Bahamian Goat Pepper:
BnMlwLv.jpg

Chocolate Bhut Jolokia:
v6G9CN8.jpg

Chocolate Bhut Jolokia x Yellow 7 Pot f5:
DLCEgva.jpg

Thai f2 #2(Upward facing pods, not drying on plant any longer)
BWineKg.jpg

Here is a size comparison between the chocolate bhut and the chocolate bhut x yellow 7 pot.  The hybrid is the big one.
Ffh8Qr6.jpg

Thanks guys!

stc3248 said:
Wow...that Choco Bhut  X Yellow 7 looks freakishly evil...and fantastic!
They're one of my favorites. Really really prolific, and my biggest plants. I got the seeds from Fernando, I think he got them from cmpman. I'm planting a bunch next year and hoping for similar results. I think it's from an earlier version of the madballz 7 pot. I'll try to save a bunch of seeds and send them to everyone.

I keep coming back to stare at that dragon claw you call a pod...I also like the looks of the one posing as an inch worm climbing on another pod on the left side of the group pic of them....

I say not, unless they have had quite a while to do their damage, I'm thinking you would have caught them sooner..as I know you're on top of things from what I've seen...I'm thinking a virus perhaps...but lets see what those who really know say....as I'm a newbie...

Hi Bonnie!
WOW-right in the face with those gorgeous CB X Y7's :woohoo:

I should some turning by the time I shoot home from Houston next weekend, my seeds last year,didn't start at all.This year they did , so I'm itchin to see em do their stuff.

Broad Mites....I don't think, did those leaves yellow and fall, or did they get munched?Virus maybe, just depends on the history...hence fall/eaten question.

Looks like you have enough going, that come later in the season, you might be relieved!
Have a good one -
DJ

PS.....You got Nice Douglahs :onfire: :shh:

Hey guys and gals, long time no see.

To make a long story short, a virus took out my entire garden crop.  I'll save you the pictures of the devastation, but think STC's growlog 2012 if you want an idea.  I have a few on my balcony that are doing very well, but I'm going to have to move in about a week to a slightly cooler climate in the bay area.  I'll be going from 10a to 9b, so I'm thinking that they probably won't keep podding up there like they are here. 

The plants I want to save are in 5 gallon shopping bags, and each are about 5-6 feet tall and wide. Any recommendations on how I should trim them and move them?

Ughhh...sad news brother. As far as moving those plants what are you moving in??? If you're getting a uhaul, or own a van moving them should be simple enough. If you're moving them in the back of a pickup you'll need to prune them back pretty hard. If that's the case, take a look at some of the overwintering threads and prune them like that.

I am in 9a here in Poway, the biggest issue is the cool nights can make pod set a problem even in summer. My plants look stylish by the pool, but I put them there mainly because the pool acts as a giant heat sink and keeps temps a few degrees warmer at night nearby. There'll be a learning curve any time you move, but you'll still be in grow heaven up there.

Sorry to read about the loss.

I had Southern blight hit tomatoes last year, took out about a third of them. Made me start planting everything from seed.

Good luck on the new place.

Back