• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stupid Jerk's stupid grow log for jerks

I think it is safe to say that my girlfriend now regrets bringing home a cayenne plant this July. It sparked an interest in me that has lead me to spend countless hours reading about gardening, filling the windows and balcony with plants and seedlings, purchasing a grow light, and ultimately joining a community garden. I've decided it is time I start documenting my journey.

Grow list:
7 Pot Congo Yellow (Denniz)
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Jonah (Denniz)
7 Pot Primo (socalchilehead)
7 Pot Red (Denniz)
7 Pot SR Congo (socalchilehead)
7 Pot Yellow
Bahamian Goat Pepper (socalchilehead)
Biker Billy Jalapeno (ajijoe)
Black Pearl
Black Cobra (smokemaster)
Bhut Jolokia
Butch T (Denniz)
Butch T x Douglah (Denniz)
Carolina Reaper
Cherry
Chile Tepin (socalchilehead)
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Bhut x Yellow 7 pot (socalchilehead)
Chocolate Habanero (ajijoe)
Datil
Fatalii
Fresno (Grocery Store Pod)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (Pogeys)
Morouga Scorpion (Denniz)
Purple Jalapeno
Red Habanero
Scotch Bonnet (Turns out to be an Anuum, so we'll call these Notch Bonnets)
Scotch Bonnet Foodorama (socalchilehead)
Scotch Bonnet Tobago Yellow (socalchilehead)
Scotch Bonnet Tobago Red (socalchilehead)
Surprise Hot Mix (ajijoe)
Thai (Grocery Store Pod)
White Bullet
Yellow Brainstrain (Denniz)

These are plants that I have obtained as adults:

Aji Yellow (smokemaster)
Habanero (home depot)
Peach Bhut (smokemaster)
White Pearl (smokemaster)
Yellow 7 Pot (smokemaster)

I have a limited amount of space, so most varieties will only have one plant in the ground.

Here is a before picture of the garden:
pwhDt.jpg

It's a 400 sq foot plot and over half of it was filled with nutsedge. I have since pulled out the nutsedge and hopefully most of the roots. Filled a massive wheelbarrow with all that I pulled out. I tried eating one of the tubers because I read they were edible, but I wouldn't recommend it. It was the consistancy of an almond, but the taste of a dirty pine needle. Maybe they are good roasted.

Growing in the ground is going to be a new adventure that I am no way prepared for. I suppose I need to do a soil test before I attempt to amend the soil. Completely organic is the plan, but I've seen a few tiny green balls in the soil, and as far as I know that means slow release Miracle Gro. On the positive side(I think?) there is a bark mulch that is mixed through the entire garden that has started breaking down throughout. You can see some of it near the pavement in the first picture. Not sure what kind of wood it is.

If anyone has any advice, feel free to chime in. I built a fence with 2x8's around the bottom. I plan on having a 2' wide 8" raised bed around the perimeter along with 3 raised beds in the center. The ones in the center may have to wait a while unless I find someone getting rid of some wood. In the mean time I plan on just mounding the ground up in those areas. I see a lot of my neighbors still have chili plants with ripe or ripening pods on them, but I think I'm waiting until mid January to early February to plant them out.(edit: planted out in March) It hasn't frosted since I moved here, but I supposed it is possible.(edit: It happened this year)

DesertChris said:
That reminds me... last year, my gal came home with a bunch of thai peppers from the farmers market...basically a section of branches with pods all over the place... half of the pods were green.... I let them all ripen up on their own.... air dry style.
Those Thai seeds I gave you are from the same pods, so expect the unexpected with those guys.

Devv said:
Carson,

Grow looks fantastic, liking those pods you have everywhere!

And the harvest are growing as well... :dance:

Have a great weekend and continue to show us your great progresses!
Thanks! I'm glad everything started to set, because flowers are about to start dropping like flies.

PaulG said:
Hey, SJ, your grow is top-notch - lots of great plants.
Your garden cup runneth over - you have a lot of stuff in there!

Kudos on the new camera - great pod pics.
Keep up the good work, Carson!

Thanks for stopping in and for the compliments!

I'm loving the new camera. It's nice to have something I can change settings on. My 3-year-old phone just wasn't cutting it any more.

WalkGood said:
Congrats on new cam, pics and everything’s looking great except the temps but we have them too right now and they’ll get worse as our summer continues here :/ Love the look of your Bahamian Goat Pepper ^_^

Great hauls you are getting \o/

Have a great weekend ...
It's going to be okay, I'll check to see if they revised the forecast...

R5PKMnc.png

Oh boy.

Okie dokie, i'll keep an eye on those thai plants, when the pod up :)

Yeah.... over the hill (here) it is supposed to get to 112° this weekend... :(
Looks twice a day watering time for me and the gardens.......

We have a similar forecast this weekend but cooling into the mid to low 90's starting Monday...we'll see..

Today's harvest, along with about 20 lbs of tomatoes.  I've pulled over 50 lbs of tomatoes this week.  Next year I'm only planted two plants. 
MuwPNyO.jpg

The yellow 7 pot x choc bhut hybrids have been my first ripe superhots, I shared one with some friends on Saturday and it was pretty hilarious.  Didn't get a video, unfortunately.

Nice work .... How are the amended garden beds holding up in terms of nutrient delivery in your mind?? The tomatoes sound like they love it anyway. What did you think of the super hot?? You never said :D ???

DocNrock said:
Nice pull, Carson!  Gonna start canning tomatos? 
I've canned a bunch of them, given away a lot more. Also putting my juicer to work. I'm trying to figure out how to can without making a massive mess in the kitchen, but I don't know if that is possible. I don't like throwing anything away, so I tossed the skins in the food processor to chop up for worn food. Unfortunately the top wasn't on tight and I spent the rest of the night cleaning tomato off of the walls and ceiling.
Trippa said:
Nice work .... How are the amended garden beds holding up in terms of nutrient delivery in your mind?? The tomatoes sound like they love it anyway. What did you think of the super hot?? You never said :D ???
They are finally starting to come in to their own, I think. The ph is a bit high, but I think things are starting to work themselves out. The parts I ammended first are producing amazing plants, even though those plants were transplanted as my worst seedlings at a much later time. The newer ones are finally starting to uptake nutrients well, but I've also been giving them foliar feeds of fish emulsion, seaweed extract, and Epsom salt. The superhots that I gave enough room to are setting dozens of pods. Probably about 50 on my Douglah and 100 on the choc bhut x yellow 7 hybrid. Unfortunately the ones I crowded more are being much slowed on their pod setting. I have an idea now on how to space more properly, so next year should be awesome. The soil is getting much more active with life now as well. When I move mulch out of the way and dig down the soil is much softer and there are so many kinds of life. I've also noticed my plant handling the intense sun an temperatures better than my neighbors. I think it's all because of the mulch and organic life.

I'll write about the superhot in a minute, in the middle of something right now.

StupidJerk said:
 Unfortunately the top wasn't on tight and I spent the rest of the night cleaning tomato off of the walls and ceiling.

D'oh!  So sorry to hear it, but the visual was incredible.  ;)

GnomeGrown said:
Nice harvest, StupidJerk.

:woohoo:

Dot Com said:
I'm impressed w/ that harvest. Way to go
Thanks guys, things are finally starting to pick up.  Just looked out on my balcony and saw a rip yellow brainstrain

Trippa said:
What did you think of the super hot?? You never said :D ???

So I was over at a buddy's house to watch the Silva fight, and he was pretty bummed because his favorite fighter just lost.  I was happy because I won some money on Weidman. Anyway, to take our minds off of it, we had a hot pepper eating contest with some pods I brought by.  We started with a purple jalapeno, which was not bad, moved on to some cherries, also pretty mild, then we did a pepper pulla, which everyone agreed had a little burn.  Next was the black pearl, which made a few guys drop out. We moved on to the Thai, which burned for everyone, and all but 2 of the other guys dropped out.  These are an f2 of some kind of Asian grocery store Thai.  They are way hotter than the parent.  The 3 of us ate the Jamaican yellow mushrooms and all agreed that they weren't as hot as the Thai.  The only one left was the superhot.  After a little taunting, I got everyone to jump back in and take a sliver.  All it took in the room full of Hispanic guys was, "are you really backing down to a white guy in this pepper eating contest?"

After about 10 seconds someone said, "This isn't bad." Then all of a sudden everyone's eyes started getting big, and they all started eating sour cream with a spoon, we were all jumping and swearing, a couple of the guys ran out to the balcony trying to suck in some night air.  Everyone was chugging milk, beer, and anything else in sight.  I actually managed to not eat or drink anything until the burn subsided, but I have to admit I was in some major pain.  I was hopping around, slamming my fist on the counter, and this was from just about 1/3 of a pod.  I don't think you're going to see a whole pod superhot review from me any time soon.

Ok, so one of the "Not Scotch Bonnets", from seeds you sent me, has surprised me by hiding a couple developing pods that I just discovered today.

Here is a quick video I took to show you what it looks like :)
I think I will start calling them "MoWTF Scotch Bonnets" (Ministry of WTF).... Bwahahahahahahaha

Nice harvest there!

Just to fill you in I planted 70 tomato plants, I thought LB was going to kill me with all the canning...but yours are way more productive!

Been on vacation and came back to read a great story...BTW I use the same line on the guys I work with.

Sorry about the blender mishap, didn't need to visualize, I watched it happen when LB and her friend were making tamales. Her friend didn't know our blender has two speeds, high and max-high!

Everything is doing okay, I think I'm losing some plants to broad mites, but I kind of expected that to happen.  I've been having some good harvests lately.  Haven't really gotten many pictures of the plants, but here is what I pulled yesterday:

qyIq8JQ.jpg

Hope everyone else is doing well

Back