• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Super Hot Overwinter

So a few months ago I had asked people about overwintering plants since this was my first try. I had received some good advice and went with it. Basically I had dug up all of my supers out of the ground, washed the roots, potted them with fresh soil and trimmed them back. It's been almost 2 weeks and success! They have started to come back. :woohoo:
All 6 in the front window
overwinteredplants001.jpg

the bhuts
overwinteredplants002.jpg

chocolate habs
overwinteredplants003.jpg

scorpions
overwinteredplants005.jpg

overwinteredplants004.jpg

The scorpions are off to a slower start but there are a few nodes that are beginning some new growth. I tried to get close pics so you might be able to see them. I will try to update this every once and a while to keep up on how they are all doing since I have about 6 months before I can bring them back outside.

Nice start, you pruned the branches to a good length, it takes time for the plants to trigger new growth.

Hey check out the top of the forum page , the Pepper-Guru has a pretty good thread started in regards to this topic

Good luck...... :)

looks good, I prune mine back a little less but I think its best to let the light levels determine how much foliage stays on the plant. Your stems will only grow as many leaves as the light levels can support, that way you won't end up with a light deficient plant, just a nicely balanced one. you may not get fruit at all this winter, but you will pull through with a very healthy plant come spring

Fireface, that is really my only goal. Just to have them make it through the long winter. It would be a plus if they had a few pods though which I'm sure wouldn't be very big if they did grow some.

Here's an update of how my supers are doing. They seem to be doing well. They all have even begun to produce flower buds. I'm not sure if I want to allow them to flower or not. I think it would be cool to have some pods but would that be in the best interest of overwintering the plants? Does it matter? What does everyone think?

Anyhow here they are! :)

Chocolate habs
overwinteredplants007.jpg

bhut jolokias
overwinteredplants006.jpg

scorpions
overwinteredplants008.jpg

Very nice progress,.... sure I let some buds flower, its great to see pods forming indoors, also it will help slow down the vegetation a bit, I'm not sure when you can plant out but if your plants become tall and spindly before then you can once again cut them, only next time less pruning. Also keep an eye around the nodes and flowers for pests, aphids tend to migrate in that area...

Good luck and keep us posted,

Greg

ok, it's been a while for an update on my overwintering plants. They have been doing fairly good with one even starting a pod. The only exception is the arrival of an unexpected pest. Apparently I have had some mice in the house and they have been eating some of the vegetation off some of the plants. I have put down several glue traps in the vicinity of the plants as well as other areas of the house. Two mice have been caught in other areas but there must be some still around. So far its seems like they are going through the drain holes in the pot and burrowing their way up. I had put a glue trap in front of the hole they seem to be using but now they have used another on the same pot!

Anyone have any suggestions as how to keep them away from the plants?

chocolate hab
IMG_0165.jpg

bhut
IMG_0164.jpg

bhut with pod starting
IMG_0162.jpg

choc hab with mouse burrow
IMG_0161.jpg

same hab with chewed off limb/ leaves
IMG_0160.jpg

scorpions
IMG_0167.jpg
IMG_0166.jpg

As it is, it seems that the one choc hab has taken the brunt of the damage but they all are still surving.

Thanks SS. I will have to pick some up tomorrow after work. Now I will just have to concentrate on catching those bastards.

Help! Even after covering up the drain holes the mouse/mice still have found a way to get to the foliage. My scorpion that had the most dense foliage lost 3 branches to these bastards! I put some moth balls in each pot as I heard they don't like the smell but that has not stopped them. I don't know what else I can do. Any ideas how to keep them from eating the foliage?

Damn!!! Get them! Keep your traps as close to the walls/windows as you can. They travel along baseboards and edges. Also try some either live catch traps or the old fashion inhumane (yet effective!) ones. They may be avoiding the sticky traps. Use a bait that "should" be more attractive than your plants such as peanut butter. And use some of whatever they're eating on a few also pepper leaves I suppose...Good luck, if you catch 1 you probably have 20...They're eating my radish and turnip greens...

Also...I used cayenne powder to deter the cats from my plants, worked for them. Maybe if you powder the hell out of the soil around each plant it might keep them out.

I have baited the sticky traps with peanut butter and have 4 just against the baseboard in front of the window sill. More in other areas of the house. So far I have caught 3 but none in the traps around the plants. I do have a bit of scorp powder that I could try and put down that. I may also try the old fashioned traps too. Thanks for your input Shane.

I am also really wondering how they are even getting onto the window sill. It's at least a foot off the floor! I do have a couch in front of it. Could they be climbing that or can they jump that high?

They're probably coming up (or through) your couch and either jumping or stepping over from there. It is possible they are coming from inside your walls too. I would definitely check your couch very well for signs of them...they might live in there. Good luck man. It's often a losing battle in the winter. They are going to get inside when its cold out. Use your hardware cloth to stop up any and all holes around the house inside and out. Keep me posted...I hope the powder works for you.

Shane, I checked the couch and there are no holes in it so they must be climbing it. I agree with you about losing the battle and it's a long war here in buffalo. We got about 3-4 more months of winter.

Back