• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Super Hots Canada - Grow 2014-2015 (Starts on Page 12) - I have a greenhouse now! YAY! :D

I suppose rather than starting a new topic each time I update you all on my progress, it's better to stick to one...

So to begin with, I just have a small update for today:

My largest Cayenne (which I just pruned back in the past couple of weeks) is finally growing it's very first flowers. This is one of six Cayenne's that I originally bought as seedlings. This one has taken off the best. The rest seemed to have struggled to grow.

20130920_073946_450x600.jpg

One of my young Jalapeño (I believe) plants is also starting to flower. This is one that I started from seed and it's showing a good many more flowers than the Cayenne, shown above, even though it is far smaller and younger.

20130920_074030_450x600.jpg

Seeing them start to flower, I decided to add some more Tomato mix (5-7-7) to all my plants to hopefully help them along the way.

I water my plants with a 20-20-20 plant feed every couple of weeks, occasionally I'll spray them down with an epsom salt mix and if the roots start to show I'll add some 3-in-1 (or 4-in-1) soil blend to top them off.

How often ought a person add tomato mix/bone meal/soil to their planters (indoors) to keep them growing and healthy - any suggestions?

Technicality your super chili seeds are now F2s. F2s will show variance from the two parents used to create the F1 hybrid you have.
Awesome grow BTW. Looking forward to seeing the others pod up.

GA Growhead said:
Technicality your super chili seeds are now F2s. F2s will show variance from the two parents used to create the F1 hybrid you have.
Awesome grow BTW. Looking forward to seeing the others pod up.

Yeah, who really knows which generation they -actually- are, since I didn't get any specific details from the guy I bought my original plant from at the Farmer's Market. I just attempted to go by the name I saw being used by many websites online (which tend to have conflicting info on the pepper).. So I was more listing it as part of the name, rather than an indication of generation. lol
allaKAZAAM said:
You do not need to pay any fees for that, just make sure you send yourself a REGISTERED MAIL with your logo/name...etc. That should cover you...
NEVER open that envelope unless you are in a legal situation, and only under the very watchful eye of a judge, so as to not compromise the envelope/contents.
Though just having the copyright symbol, would be good. The letter with the logo will add that much more validity.
Mark

OH YAH...
LOVING the use of WHITESPACE in the design, makes it very crisp!

True enough.. had forgotten about that little copyright trick. :)

And thanks. The designs pretty much cover whole packet, rather than just small, centered space - this way they're hopefully more bold. And with the design my goal was to focus on the details "most" would likely look to quickly see: The name of the pepper, an example of how it'll look, and how many seeds in the packet. And I figure the faded, abbreviated date is a nice little addition - letting people know an idea of how old they are.

From what I read you are selling possibly unstable seeds?

In a year from now you might have a few unhappy customers...just sayin'

Hells Bells said:
From what I read you are selling possibly unstable seeds?

In a year from now you might have a few unhappy customers...just sayin'

Such as the information about them here?
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/20959-origin-of-super-chile-hybrids/

.. There does seem to be a lot of conflicting information about them. For instance - a lot of websites claim they are around 30,000-50,000 SHU and others indicate 100,000. I've listed 100,000 SHU because compared to the Cayenne's & others I've tried in that range, the Super Chili pods I've grown have been substantially hotter.

But I certainly can inform customers of the potential in the plants showing variance. I enjoy telling people about the peppers and attempting to spark interest in having others learn about them. And naturally, they deserve to be informed. *nod*

My goal is to focus towards the super-hots (thus the name), so I don't intend to grow this type year after year. It'll hopefully be just a sort of initial offering as I work to get off the ground.

So just around a week & a half after setting up the new space with the HPS light I think my plants are showing some good progress.. I've re-arranged them a few times just because the area is rather cramped and along the way I had to make room for a rotating fan.

A few days back I moved the Jalapenos & most of the Cayenne's back into the other room - simply was getting too crowded to have them in the space. And the tiny little sprout that is on top of the books in a couple of these photos is my attempt at growing a Butch T. I had one more of these seedlings growing, but it couldn't break out of casing and didn't make it. :(

Majority of the plants in this area, at this point are Naga Jolokia (12-14), followed by "Habanero Red" (3) (according to the place I got them) - which are just finally starting to show signs of possibly growing flowers, and then Super-Chile (2 - including the young one being grown for my girlfriend). The remaining are one each of: Carolina Reaper, Butch T, Bell Pepper and Cayenne.

20131209_120917_1000x750.jpg

20131209_121001_1000x750.jpg

This finally picture is of my largest, strongest looking Naga Jolokia (poor photo, I know). They all seem to be starting to fill out :)

20131209_121109_450x600.jpg

So it's now been around 3 - 3 1/2 weeks since I started using my HPS light and my plants all seem to be showing very clear progress as a result. :)

First up is my tiny Butch T, which first poked through the ground near the end of November... It seems to be pretty slow-going, but maybe that's just because I'm used to watching Annum's from seed more than I am Chinense's:

butch-t.jpg

.. His 2nd set of true leaves have slowly been growing in the past week and I noticed this morning what looks to be the start of his 3rd set. *crosses fingers*

--------------------

Next up is one of my three Habanero's.. Only pointing this little guy out because he looks almost like a Bonsai tree after all he's gone through. Quite cute. And just like the other two Hab's, he's starting to grow some buds, finally!

hab.jpg

--------------------

In this next photo is my best-growing Jalapeno (to the left) which, unlike my other Jalapenos, seems to have very healthy leaves and is flowering. I moved it into this grow space because I started my Jalapeno's from seed back in the summer and even though they've mostly all flowered none have actually produced. Hoping this little one does under the nice light. :)

The other in the photo is my 2nd tallest Habanero. He's also the one that is filling out the best.

jal-hab.jpg

--------------------

And here is my sole Carolina Reaper.. He was looking pretty thinned out before getting under the HPS light, but now he's starting to fill out nicely and I -think- I spotted at least one bud starting to form. *crosses fingers tightly*

reaper.jpg

--------------------

This photo shows my two tallest plants. A Naga Jolokia on the left, and my tallest Habanero on the right. They're both looking pretty thinned out, but are both starting to fill out (and growing buds):

tallest.jpg

--------------------

A couple nights ago I realized that the space was becoming too cluttered and I needed to do something so that I can get to each of the plants to water them without having to constantly shuffle them around. The solution? I dismantled the make-shift counter I had built in my no-longer-used hallway grow space. The "legs" of the counter were a couple of small book shelves. So they're now in this space and holding the smaller of my plants.

The plants include on these 2 shelves are: 4 Naga Jolokia, "Frank" the Super Chile (for my girlfriend), my oldest Bell Pepper and my baby Butch T.

Oh, and on the lower level of one of the bookshelves I have one of my Cayenne plants that outgrow my other grow space (which only has T8 fixtures).

shelves.jpg

--------------------

In this picture is some more of my Naga Jolokia and on the bottom-right, on the floor, is my tallest Bell Pepper. It was bumping into one of my T8 fixtures in the other grow space and I couldn't be bothered lifting the light higher when all the rest of the plants under that light are a good bit shorter. So I moved 'em into here in the hopes he'll fill out.

ghosts.jpg

--------------------

And here is my oldest Bell Pepper.. He's really starting to take off with growing and attempting to fill out and produce flowers. He's the -one- pepper plant that survived from my outdoor garden that I had back in the summer. He's constantly been putting out flowers, but has -never- produced. A good part of that is likely the fact that he was under T8 lights up until a little while ago.

His foliage has been -extremely- thick to the point that I think it's been strangling his buds. I decided to trim back a LOT of the top leaves last night to give the buds room to breathe and the stem some visibility. I knew he had quite a few buds, but when I trimmed back I discovered he has a TON in a small space.

Will he someday produce being this compact or is there anything more I can do?

bell-pepper.jpg

Penny said:
Well done, all of your plants look amazing :dance:

Thanks.. I'm really hoping most of them start filling out better. Most of the Naga's are pretty sturdy, but Annum's and Hab's mostly need sticks to hold them up because they've grown up too tall & thin or lop-sided thanks to spending most of their lives under T8's.

But it's a start :)

Think once the Naga's start blooming I might spending more time in the room just admiring how pretty they are.. and when the pods start forming - well, then, I might need someone to pull me away. lol

Looks good, but...keep an eye on the leaves. I know it is hard to get a good photo under the HPS lights but quite a few leaves look bubbly. Leaves aren't really supposed to be bubbly, they are supposed to be smooth. What kind of fertilizers are you using?

Typically, that can be a calcium deficiency sign, but you don't necessarily need more calcium. If you are feeding them too much nitrogen, they will stop up- taking any minerals at all and this can show up as a mineral deficiency when all you really need to do is chill out on the high nitrogen ferts.

Jeff H said:
Looks good, but...keep an eye on the leaves. I know it is hard to get a good photo under the HPS lights but quite a few leaves look bubbly. Leaves aren't really supposed to be bubbly, they are supposed to be smooth. What kind of fertilizers are you using?

Typically, that can be a calcium deficiency sign, but you don't necessarily need more calcium. If you are feeding them too much nitrogen, they will stop up- taking any minerals at all and this can show up as a mineral deficiency when all you really need to do is chill out on the high nitrogen ferts.

For a good while I was using a 20-20-20 feed every couple of weeks. But I cut back a while back after it was suggested on here that I may be over-feeding.

The bubbling and leaves curling came about when there wasn't enough air circulation in the space, but I have a good oscillating fan in the space that I leave running 24/7. All the new leaves I've seen come up in the past couple weeks have been looking much better. :)

It's tough to keep the temperature regulated since one day it can be 50*F outside and the next it can be -4*F outside and our house is around 90 years old, so it doesn't stay evenly heated. Gotta love Nova Scotia weather. In one day in the summer here it can be 85*F+ with clear skies outside most of the day, but then it'll suddenly cloud over in the space of -minutes- and hit use with rain, snow or even hail.. and then a few minutes later the clouds will be gone and it's summer again... And our winters are much the same. lol

Not the best of photos..  But this is my very first Jalapeno pod growing! .. And I spotted at least 2 more starting on the same plant. I trimmed off a lot of leaves because they were clumped and unhealthy. My Jalapeno plants have all had a rough time, but they're improving.

jalapeno.jpg

Way to jump in with both feet SH!  You have the bug pretty bad.
Maybe counselling would help.  No.  Maybe starting more seeds!
Yeah, that's the ticket!  I can see your grow eventually taking
over the whole house   :rofl:

PaulG said:
Way to jump in with both feet SH!  You have the bug pretty bad.
Maybe counselling would help.  No.  Maybe starting more seeds!
Yeah, that's the ticket!  I can see your grow eventually taking
over the whole house   :rofl:

I already intend to convert part of our basement, when I can. The rate they are going I'm going to need to use the basement as an additional grow space, which means I'll need another light kit.. Unfortunately, before I can do that I need to turn my financial situation around.. So hopefully in the next while I'll manage to start selling some seed packs.

And alas, taking over the whole house isn't an option (as awesome as that would be) because we have a LOT of cats. lol

Less than a week later from the last lot of photo updates, here are a few "then and now" images:

-----------------------------------

Up first - The Super Chili "Frank" that I am growing for my girlfriend:

super-chili.jpg

2nd is my very first Jalapeno pods that are finally growing:

jalapeno.jpg

.. And lastly, my very first Butch T:

butch-t.jpg

Nice before and after pix, SH!  Really gives a good look at how
much a plant can grow out in a week or three!  

Enjoy the holiday week, bud!

PaulG said:
Nice before and after pix, SH!  Really gives a good look at how
much a plant can grow out in a week or three!  

Enjoy the holiday week, bud!

Thanks!

For the past while I thought my little Butch T was barely moving at all, so after editing the photos I took today I decided to look back at the last photo I had taken of it.. turns out I was -so- wrong.

The more I realize how fast my babies are growing under that beautiful 1000w HPS the more I wish I could fill every free space of my house with those lights, spread the plants out and plant a bunch more varieties (which I have just sitting & waiting lol).

i like the way you do this topic, those before and now pics are awesome, they are goiing fast man, awesome

how long are the days now? and now that i think about it, how do u turn your lamp on and off?
reguar timers arent good for that many watts u should use "davin" or some sort of relay switched divice
regular timers on hps lamps are fire-hazards , alltough they say 2000W, they just melt in the wall :confused:
i just topped my reaper, seems they are about the same size,haha who is gonne get the first pods :rolleyes:  :P 

grtz

yezhead said:
i like the way you do this topic, those before and now pics are awesome, they are goiing fast man, awesome

how long are the days now? and now that i think about it, how do u turn your lamp on and off?
reguar timers arent good for that many watts u should use "davin" or some sort of relay switched divice
regular timers on hps lamps are fire-hazards , alltough they say 2000W, they just melt in the wall :confused:
i just topped my reaper, seems they are about the same size,haha who is gonne get the first pods :rolleyes:  :P

grtz

A timer switch came with the light kit I bought, but I haven't worked out how to work the darn thing. I just use the on/off switch on the timer when I get up in the morning and when I go to bed at night. So my plants don't get the light at the same time every day, but they do get at least 16 hours of light each day. :)

Because of how cold it gets here I have to keep a heater on a very low setting even with the light on. With the light and heater on, it stays around 26-30*C in my grow space. :)

My Carolina Reaper has had a rough time. It's the only survivor of around 25-30 super-hot varieties that I planted back in the summer. But I -think- it might start to flower soon. *crosses his fingers*

Back