• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Super Hots Canada - Grow 2014-2015 (Starts on Page 12) - I have a greenhouse now! YAY! :D

I suppose rather than starting a new topic each time I update you all on my progress, it's better to stick to one...

So to begin with, I just have a small update for today:

My largest Cayenne (which I just pruned back in the past couple of weeks) is finally growing it's very first flowers. This is one of six Cayenne's that I originally bought as seedlings. This one has taken off the best. The rest seemed to have struggled to grow.

20130920_073946_450x600.jpg

One of my young Jalapeño (I believe) plants is also starting to flower. This is one that I started from seed and it's showing a good many more flowers than the Cayenne, shown above, even though it is far smaller and younger.

20130920_074030_450x600.jpg

Seeing them start to flower, I decided to add some more Tomato mix (5-7-7) to all my plants to hopefully help them along the way.

I water my plants with a 20-20-20 plant feed every couple of weeks, occasionally I'll spray them down with an epsom salt mix and if the roots start to show I'll add some 3-in-1 (or 4-in-1) soil blend to top them off.

How often ought a person add tomato mix/bone meal/soil to their planters (indoors) to keep them growing and healthy - any suggestions?

mpicante said:
I hope they all grow true for you.Since you already have the seed might as plant them and grow them out....and keep your fingers crossed.

So far, the only ones I have seem to be having trouble to get to germinate are Wild Tepin and 7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow (both from PepperLover). I'm not worried about the Brain Strain, but I'm wishing the Tepin would sprout lol

How long has it been?I've read that tennis could possibly take a little longer to germinate and soaking in salt peter may aid in germination.

mpicante said:
How long has it been?I've read that tennis could possibly take a little longer to germinate and soaking in salt peter may aid in germination.

^ auto-correct was being polite for once lol

The first couple Wild Tepin seeds I planted were on November 11th and by December 12th they didn't take. The latest couple were planted on December 13th, so there is still around a week before it's been another month.

All of these latest seeds have been planted in Jiffy pellets and put on a heating pad and where I have the tray manages to keep it at a decent temperature (certainly not too hot - more towards the cool side) and I do my best to check on them regularly to see that they're not too damp and not too dry. :)

mpicante said:
I hate auto-correct!!!! 30 days is a while.Mark do you soak seeds overnight?

In the past I have, but this lot I didn't. If these Tepin don't take, I'll probably give that a shot. I've tried that in the past with warm water and a bit of some hydrogen peroxide and it seemed to help a bit with some of the seeds. :)

I soak seeds for about 12 hours in warm water.I've never had any problems.The salt peter in warm water was always kind of backup plan but haven't had to use it yet.I also use paper towel method to test germination rate only,I don't soak these seeds.

mpicante said:
I soak seeds for about 12 hours in warm water.I've never had any problems.The salt peter in warm water was always kind of backup plan but haven't had to use it yet.I also use paper towel method to test germination rate only,I don't soak these seeds.

I've never tried using the paper towel method. I've always planted straight in soil. The idea that I might hurt the baby root scares me. lol

I intend to get new photos of each of the seedlings again, soon, but for now here's an unedited, and probably quite shaky, video of my grow room. Yes, I rather suck at these, but oh well.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKYtstJ4OQ8[/media]

My original Brown Naglah has officially died, as of today. :(

I'm not sure why, but it's as though in the past month or so it just gave up. Fed and watered just the same as my Reaper (which is in the same size container), with plenty of light, the branches just continued to die & the leaves kept falling off. My Reaper, though still dealing with aphids, is branching out and filling out it's leaves and even attempting to bloom. Several of my other adult plants are doing quite well and I'm managing to cut back on the aphids more and more. Some of my seedlings are doing great, others are struggling some due to the aphids, but all are managing to grow.

My Naglah just over one year and one month old.

20150205_011131.jpg

Burning Colon said:
i never had any bhut variety survive more than 2 years and never had a chocolate bhut deliver pods.

That really sucks :(

Jeff H suggested, in a comment on my status update, that it might have died due to root rot. I'm thinking that he's probably correct, since the bin doesn't have any holes for drainage.

Been a long while since I've gotten around to doing an update.. 

Here's a photo of one of my C. Galapagoense seedlings:

C-Galapagoense.jpg

And one of my Devil's Brain seedlings:

Devils-Brain.jpg

My Giant Mexican Rocoto:

Giant-Mexican-Rocoto.jpg

:)

We finally got some good sun and warm weather in the past two days!

Thanks to that I decided to take all my babies out of my grow room/basement and I put them outside in a shaded area. I intend to put them under the porch tonight and hopefully the weather will stay good and I'll be able to keep putting them outside... Maybe they'll manage to bounce back from all the damage the aphids have done grrr.. AND they're actually getting out a good bit earlier than last year. Last year I didn't get my babies out till early July.

Meanwhile, a lot more work has been done on the greenhouse. The frame & roof is up, I got the door built and put up and today I built in some vents (that will couple as windows).

I was going to go with typical heavy-duty plastic for the walls, roof and windows, but on advice from our local Central Supplies we got in touch with a company that sells clear greenhouse plastic. We ordered some today and it's expected to be delivered on Tuesday. The plastic is called "Dura-Film® Super 4 UV" and I'm hoping it'll be good and last (anyone have experience with it?).

All that seems to be left now is to put up the plastic (once we have it) and to build shelves inside to put my younger plants up on. Once that's done I'll be running a line for power to put in a fan & heater and then I'll be moving all my plants in.. Looks like I'll be getting my babies out a month & a half earlier than last year -and- having a greenhouse means that my babies will be safe from the deer (and hopefully from the rats - not that they did much damage).

Here's a photo taken today of how my greenhouse currently looks:

greenhouse-May-16-2015.jpg

Meanwhile, my seedlings up in my bedroom (which are housed on shelves that I closed in to act as makeshift incubators) are doing great, with a few of them already starting to flower! The sooner the greenhouse is finished, the better.. they need the room to grow and blossom!

Here's how they're looking:

shelf1-1.jpg

shelf1-2.jpg

shelf2-1.jpg

shelf2-2.jpg

shelf2-3.jpg

(yes, that is Seinfeld on in the background)

Its been nearly a month since I made an update here... been far too busy lately!

So I took a few minutes to make a video tour of my new greenhouse.. A few of my plants still look pretty ragged, but they're attempting to bounce back!

[media]https://youtu.be/zD-UusPhI1M[/media]

charlesquik said:
we need an update of the babies Super hots Canada!

You're absolutely right.. I've just been so busy with work this season that most of my updating has been done through Twitter ( [twitter]http://www.twitter.com/superhotscanada[/twitter] ).

I have a posted a couple more video clips on YouTube, as well... The latest is this one:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-CMTMTHiI[/media]

But here are some photos from the last few days:

20150825_232320.jpg

^ Left to right: Sweet Banana, Antohi RomaniaHungarian Wax

cheiro-roxa.jpg

^ First mature Cheiro Roxa off my plants :)

green.jpg

^ Collage of not-so-great photos of some of the plants in the greenhouse.. They've taken off so well that in order for me to get around inside I have to take at least 3-4 of the plants out of the greenhouse!  A few varieties aren't producing just yet, but they're close to starting. A few others have just started (such as a Reaper), while still some others just started to explode with pods in the past couple of weeks.. My Cheiro Roxa, White Ghost (from PepperLover), Devil's Brain and 7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow are my best growers and all doing amazing.

What sucks is that I used cardboard/paper & pen for the labels my seedlings and so many of them have totally faded that until the pods mature I'm not quite sure what some of them are. I think I might actually be getting some Moruga's, Bubblegum and Douglahs coming along. *crosses fingers*

pods.jpg

^ Left to right: First Devil's Brain pod off my plants (it's super-tiny & only had one side, but it's the absolutely most potent smelling pod I've encountered yet.. I'm terrified to try it! .. It smells vastly more dangerous than even my Brown Naglah's from last year), Devil's Brain pods growing on the plants, Pink Tiger's and I -believe- Moruga Scorpions.

harvest.jpg

^ Today's harvest.
Top photo: Hungarian Wax on top, bottom-left red pod is a Jalapeno variety, cherry-shaped pods are "Antohi Romania" and the purple are Pinot Noir.
Bottom photo: Yellow/orange are "Mohawk", red is "Time Bomb", and the purple are "Purple Beauty".

7PBS-yellow.jpg

^ One of the first 7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow to begin maturing. :)

How's that?
I think the Brain Strain's & Devil's Brain's are going to really start maturing soon and I do have some photos of the White Ghosts - I'll try and post some of those another time... So I'll hopefully have a lot more colorful photos in the next while. :)

Back