• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TBG's First Chilli Blitz! (2017-18)

G'day G'day!
Welcome to my very first glog, I hope you like it: ;)

This is my first time growing peppers seriously. Last season was my first; I grew 3 Jalapenos, 3 Habaneros,  a Naga Viper, Thai Hot, Cap Mushroom Red and an Ebony Fire, all bought from the store at various maturities.
And then I found TheHotPepper around March this year, and if my grow last year sparked my interest, THP nuked it! I've been super keen for this season, and now its started!

I started a few seeds of Aji Amarillo for the SHGDTD on the 22nd June, and currently have 2 seedlings, awaiting the third and final to pop.

This year, I'm thinking that I'm attempting to kinda try to limit my grow to roughly three dozen plants (even I'm not convinced), but we'll see what happens.
I don't really have much of a grow list, just a list of varieties that I have at the moment and I'd like to grow. 
So here's something that resembles a Grow List, its not set in stone; I'll end up not growing some on here, and I'll end up growing some that aren't on here.

-- The Grow List --

- Aji Amarillo
- Carolina Reaper
- Naga Viper Purple
- Aji Lemon
- Brazilian Starfish
- Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
- MoA Scotch Bonnet
- Scotch Brain
- Aji Jobito X BBG7 Choc (Shorerider's)
- Choc 7 Pot
- Malih-helow
- Peter Pepper Yellow
- Rocoto
- Bahamian Goat Pepper
- Cayenne X Bhut (Shorerider's)
- Red/Green Bell
- Habanero Mix (Red Savina & Tiger Paw)
- Prik Kee Nu Suan
- Bhut Jolokia Red
- Corno Di Toro Rosso
- Aji Pineapple
- Trinidad Scorpion CARDI
- Jalapeno
- Trinidad Perfume
- Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
- Tabasco
- 7 Pot Jonah Red
- Bishop's Hat
- Cap Mushroom Red
- Sugar Rush Peach
- Yellow Bell
- Goat's Weed
- Rocoto Aji Largo
- Trinidad Scorpion Butch-T

So yeah, that 36 plant limit is very dubious.

But before I go on, I'd like to send out a HUGE THANK YOU to Blitz527, as well as everyone who got on board the Aussie Seed Train, my grow is substantially due to your generosity!
So THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now its time to get down to business, The Grow!

I started 9 varieties on Saturday (1st July), giving them a chamomile bath and then into the paper towel in the incubator (which only fits 9 varieties)

The Bath Tub:

The Incubator:

So the first batch for this season is:
- Naga Viper Purple
- Scotch Brain
- Aji Jobito X BBG7 Choc 
- Choc 7 Pot
- Carolina Reaper
- Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
- MoA Scotch Bonnet
- Bahamian Goat Pepper
- Bhut Jolokia Red

And not forgetting the Aji Amarillo that have already started.

You'll notice a few other seedlings in the background, they're from seed I kept from last season's grow, but they all got mixed up. So I decided to sow some of the mixed up stuff back in April to make sure that they were all okay and would actually grow. Three of them have purple foliage, so they must be Ebony Fire. The rest are either Jalapeno or Thai Hot. (There's 6 all up)
I've had them slowly growing on a windowsill since April, but I got my growbox set up yesterday (writing this on the 4th July) and chucked them into it. They're looking happier already!

But anyway,
When this lot pops, I'll start the next, and so on and so forth till I declare that I have sufficient Varieties!

Here's to hoping for a great season and a great glog, I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I will!!!

:cheers:
Thanks for stopping by, I'm looking forward  to sharing my progress with you, I'm aiming for at least weekly.

4/7/17 EDIT: Replaced the dodgy photo links, and added some info about some seedlings I've already started.

Do you guys have a link from eBay or AliExpress where these types of pots can be ordered? Thanks for the guidance.

KAOS said:
And this is why I love fabric grow pots ... no drainage holes to get blocked

Glad you got sorted TBG.

Your left brain is looking healthier than your right brain for sure :rofl:

91GygtxTa6L._SL1500_5cbdf.jpg

As an experiment use a soldering iron and pop some holes in the sides of one of your solo cups also.

The extra oxygen to the roots may surprise you

KAOS said:
And this is why I love fabric grow pots ... no drainage holes to get blocked

Glad you got sorted TBG.

Your left brain is looking healthier than your right brain for sure :rofl:

91GygtxTa6L._SL1500_5cbdf.jpg

As an experiment use a soldering iron and pop some holes in the sides of one of your solo cups also.

The extra oxygen to the roots may surprise you

An experiment? Sounds like a plan, man!
I've seen those areo pots, and have been curious. Lets give it a go!

I've used both fabric pots and plastic air-pots. Both do the job of increasing drainage and root-pruning at the cost of needing to lightly fertilize and water more often. The main differences between the two are that the fabric pots are initially cheaper but less durable... Their weak point is the seam that holds them together. When up-potting it can be difficult to peel the root ball out of the fabric since the root tips grow into it. I had to run a long knife around the inside of the pot to cut them loose so I could keep the root ball intact.
Air-pots are a bit more expensive. They're made of recycled plastic and are much more durable. With minimal care they should last for years, and they easily peel away from the root ball with no trauma when up-potting.

Hope this helps...

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

qandeel said:
Thanks KAOS for the link. I found many sizes. Which size do you recommend?

TBG sorry for interrupting you thread. Hope you don't mind.

No Worries! Its all useful and interesting stuff anyway!
stickman said:
I've used both fabric pots and plastic air-pots. Both do the job of increasing drainage and root-pruning at the cost of needing to lightly fertilize and water more often. The main differences between the two are that the fabric pots are initially cheaper but less durable... Their weak point is the seam that holds them together. When up-potting it can be difficult to peel the root ball out of the fabric since the root tips grow into it. I had to run a long knife around the inside of the pot to cut them loose so I could keep the root ball intact.
Air-pots are a bit more expensive. They're made of recycled plastic and are much more durable. With minimal care they should last for years, and they easily peel away from the root ball with no trauma when up-potting.

Hope this helps...

Stickman, your glog is where I first saw the air-pots. I had a brief look around online a while back, and don't think I can get them down under, but I probably didn't look enough.  I'll have to investigate properly for next season!

But in the meantime, my experiment will suffice!
DSCN2233.JPG

These are the two most similar of all the plants, they are two of D3's 7 Pot Burgundy X CGN21500.  They are only a few days max age difference, and are roughly same height, same sets of leaves, etc.
One got the hole treatment, one didn't.
DSCN2234.JPG

8x 4mm holes drilled into the sides of the cup.

Lets see what unfolds!

In the meantime (yes, I'm using it twice in one post!), I stocked up on potting mix and soil, so I was able to do some more transplanting, adding another 12 to the Solo Cup Club (its very exclusive.) Also addded soil to the garden beds, Just need another three bags and I'll have the medium wooden bed all good to go! Also up-potted the 2nd Amarillo, as it wasn't having a very fun time in the Solo Cup. Hopefully it picks up like the other one did. The First Batch of Solo Plants, i.e. the ones that had too small darinage aren't looking up yet, but they aren't looking downhill either. Fingers crossed that they all come around, because that's most of my Super-Hots!

Weather has been great as usual, got a 2 hour mild thunder storm last evening, not much lightening, but about 20 minutes of torrential rain, with a bit of flash flooding in the road gutters, no problems though! So everything got a good soak, which was very much needed, as its been quite dry since June-July!

Not much else to report, all the plants are looking better and better (except for batch 1), and I'm hustling the indoor ones outside as fast as they can harden off, not too fast of course....
Speaking of hardening off, there haven't been any issues as of yet, and all the plants are taking it really well. batch 2 spent one day in the shade, then into the greenhouse tent where they now live, and they haven't even blinked! The light I'm using must be half decent, and isn't joking when its labelled "daylight". Which is good!

After Batch 4, I've now got more plants in Solo Cups than in Jiffy Pellets, which is pretty exciting! When I've cleared out the Jiffys, I'll do an evaluation of my starting program, for future reference!

Thats all for now, have a great week all, stay safe, have fun and only 72 days until Summer! :woohoo: or winter if you live above the equator...

TBG. :party:

I must admit TBG for the conservative setup you have you have done extremely well.

You can be well proud of your efforts to get an early winter start and I can't wait to see your plant out into the garden.

Your harvest come summer time will be reward for your hard work so far.

Now get that garden done and post some pics ...

Thanks for the good vibes KAOS! I try to do my best ;)

Time for some pictures!!!!!

Plants from Batch 1:
DSCN2241.JPG

^ Not the middle one - that's from Batch 2
DSCN2244.JPG

As you can see, they aren't looking 100%. However! I think that they are starting to turn around, today they looked slightly better than yesterday.
-Fingers crossed!-

Plants from Batch 2/3:
DSCN2240.JPG

DSCN2243.JPG

As you can see, they are in much better shape! The two in top left of first pic are Aji Jobito X BBG7 Choc, and look fabulous!
Only issues within batches 2 and 3 are the P.Dreadie in the middle of 1st pic (other P.Dreadie is 2nd from left, top row, first pic) and the two Trinidad Perfumes, which have been mottled since day 1, they're bottom right of 2nd pic.

All of D3's crosses are looking pretty great, they make up a large portion of batches 2 & 3. The two drainage experiment plants are bottom right of first pic.

There is a slight problem that I noticed when taking these pictures. Its slightly troubling.
DSCN2245.JPG

Somethings been nibbling on D3's El Scorponero! I will keep you updated as this concerning story unfolds!

Not much new to report, so I'll chuck in an Amarillo pic!
DSCN2239.JPG

Until Next Time! :party:

Walchit said:
Nice! U sprouted a bleeding Borg!

Yes! I was pretty keen for the bleed, and when a few varieties that I sowed were a no-show, I figured that I just might be able to squeeze it into the grow! All the others will have to wait until next season... something for me to look forward to! Thanks again for the generous seeds!

News on the front!

After my last post, the plant-eating plot thickened, and then thinned out completely.
First night, nothing, No developments.
Second night, this happened:
DSCN2247.JPG

This was the most serious damage, thankfully. 3 other plants had some slight nibbles. So, I embarked on a hunting trip, and found these guilty culprits:
DSCN2248.JPG

Turns out my strawberry trays were harbouring slugs. No where else will you find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.  So, I did an overhaul of the greenhouse, leaving no stone unturned in my search for slugs and bugs. But the strawberry pots were the only areas affected.
Since then, everything is slug free, and the munching has ceased. 

In other news, this happened:
DSCN2246.JPG

My first bud! Cayenne X Bhut, you can also see forking about to happen. So a big :woohoo: :dance: :party: We'll see if it drops, or nots...

That's all for today, still a fair bit going on, so I'll be keeping y'all posted!

Thanks for stopping by, TBG.

Very cool Nev! It's good to hear your season is fully launched as ours ends here. Good on ya for identifying and dealing with the slugs. Diatomaceous Earth is a cheap and effective way to deter them on in-ground plants. I added a bit of potassium silicate to my plants with every weekly feeding and that seemed to help as well.
Cheers!

karoo said:
Can't wait to see that Cayenne X Bhut , F1 I presume?
Should be an excellent pepper to dry and powder.

I assume its F1, snagged it on the Seed Train from Shorerider. And yeah, the powder potential is what I'm hoping it turns out to be!

Got some photos, so time for an update I guess.

Been transplanting like crazy, 19 plants in the past 8 days, so the indoor box is starting to empty out.
DSCN2250.JPG

They're not Peppers!
DSCN2251.JPG

Tomatoes, Cucumbers, and herbs (Peppermint, Basil, Chives) using up all the left over Jiffy Pellets. Tomatoes and Cucumbers are a summer staple in my garden, herbs are for companion planting primarily, plus the added bonus of they go great in the kitchen!

(slightly old pics btw, earlier this week)

Outside? Not too much to report, just business as usual really.

The Cayenne X Bhut is now sending out its forked buds, chugging along slowly but steadily.
DSCN2252.JPG

Aji Jobito X BBG7 Choc is working on its side growth, has the biggest side leaves out of the lot.
DSCN2254.JPG

Running outdoor total is something like 66 I think. Which is a heck of a lot by my standards. I was hoping to offload some at the markets this weekend, but don't think that'll happen because...

The Rains Are Coming (Already here, actually)

Huge downpour last night and today, expected to continue until Monday. (Writing this on Friday) So markets aren't looking likely. But I'll figure something out.

Might even have to go bush and Guerrilla Grow it... Or try and talk a few of my Chilli lovin' mates into accepting a few plants. We'll see how it pans out anyway.

But looking ahead at my grow, I've been considering a few crosses I'd like to attempt.

Tabasco X Scorpion (Or vica versa), in light of the previously new Tabasco Sauce.

Habanero X Bell (Or vica versa), from an idea I got while chatting to AJ.

Bleeding Borg X A heap of stuff. Because bleeds are bleeding awesome!

White Fatalii X Something. I' like to try to get a white variant of something. Maybe Aji Lemon? Probably a few things.

And I'll probably come up with a few more. If anyone has any ideas, or even requests, let me know. I could always cross pollinate whatever you'd be interested in and send the seeds to you for you to grow it yourself.

But that's all a while away for now...

Until then, 

(actually, probably not until then, until a fair bit before then lol)

TBG. :metal:

qandeel said:
Thanks for the update TBG. So you already have some ambitious crossing plans. Wishing you good luck with that. Maybe try crossing the 2 best tasting varieties you have and see what comes out LOL.

Cheers! That actually could be an interesting idea...

KAOS said:
Keep it up TBG. Before long we can start planning for next year. Gonna do things different or all the same?
I've been pretty happy with how it's all worked out so far this time, so I think I'll keep the overall process the same. Things I'd change would be a bigger indoors area with better lights, and a bigger incubator, because 9 varieties at a time drags things out too much for my liking.

Devv said:
looking good here!

Dirt day soon?
Cheers!
I'm looking at dirt day soon, possibly as soon as I have the dirt ready. I don't think that there's any cold snaps in the forecast, but I'm not confident enough to say that I'm home free weather-wise just yet.

I was just taking a wander around the yard this morning, figuring out how to go about the pepper patch.
So I have a question:
Is 50cm (1'8") spacing along rows alright for chillies? Im tossing up between 50cm and 60cm spacing, and was wondering what you guys reckon. I can fit in 27 plants with 60cm spacing, or 40 plants with 50cm, and the more I can fit in the better, in my book. But is 50cm spacing okay?

Thanks, TBG!

Back