• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TBG's First Chilli Blitz! (2017-18)

G'day G'day!
Welcome to my very first glog, I hope you like it: ;)

This is my first time growing peppers seriously. Last season was my first; I grew 3 Jalapenos, 3 Habaneros,  a Naga Viper, Thai Hot, Cap Mushroom Red and an Ebony Fire, all bought from the store at various maturities.
And then I found TheHotPepper around March this year, and if my grow last year sparked my interest, THP nuked it! I've been super keen for this season, and now its started!

I started a few seeds of Aji Amarillo for the SHGDTD on the 22nd June, and currently have 2 seedlings, awaiting the third and final to pop.

This year, I'm thinking that I'm attempting to kinda try to limit my grow to roughly three dozen plants (even I'm not convinced), but we'll see what happens.
I don't really have much of a grow list, just a list of varieties that I have at the moment and I'd like to grow. 
So here's something that resembles a Grow List, its not set in stone; I'll end up not growing some on here, and I'll end up growing some that aren't on here.

-- The Grow List --

- Aji Amarillo
- Carolina Reaper
- Naga Viper Purple
- Aji Lemon
- Brazilian Starfish
- Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
- MoA Scotch Bonnet
- Scotch Brain
- Aji Jobito X BBG7 Choc (Shorerider's)
- Choc 7 Pot
- Malih-helow
- Peter Pepper Yellow
- Rocoto
- Bahamian Goat Pepper
- Cayenne X Bhut (Shorerider's)
- Red/Green Bell
- Habanero Mix (Red Savina & Tiger Paw)
- Prik Kee Nu Suan
- Bhut Jolokia Red
- Corno Di Toro Rosso
- Aji Pineapple
- Trinidad Scorpion CARDI
- Jalapeno
- Trinidad Perfume
- Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
- Tabasco
- 7 Pot Jonah Red
- Bishop's Hat
- Cap Mushroom Red
- Sugar Rush Peach
- Yellow Bell
- Goat's Weed
- Rocoto Aji Largo
- Trinidad Scorpion Butch-T

So yeah, that 36 plant limit is very dubious.

But before I go on, I'd like to send out a HUGE THANK YOU to Blitz527, as well as everyone who got on board the Aussie Seed Train, my grow is substantially due to your generosity!
So THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now its time to get down to business, The Grow!

I started 9 varieties on Saturday (1st July), giving them a chamomile bath and then into the paper towel in the incubator (which only fits 9 varieties)

The Bath Tub:

The Incubator:

So the first batch for this season is:
- Naga Viper Purple
- Scotch Brain
- Aji Jobito X BBG7 Choc 
- Choc 7 Pot
- Carolina Reaper
- Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
- MoA Scotch Bonnet
- Bahamian Goat Pepper
- Bhut Jolokia Red

And not forgetting the Aji Amarillo that have already started.

You'll notice a few other seedlings in the background, they're from seed I kept from last season's grow, but they all got mixed up. So I decided to sow some of the mixed up stuff back in April to make sure that they were all okay and would actually grow. Three of them have purple foliage, so they must be Ebony Fire. The rest are either Jalapeno or Thai Hot. (There's 6 all up)
I've had them slowly growing on a windowsill since April, but I got my growbox set up yesterday (writing this on the 4th July) and chucked them into it. They're looking happier already!

But anyway,
When this lot pops, I'll start the next, and so on and so forth till I declare that I have sufficient Varieties!

Here's to hoping for a great season and a great glog, I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I will!!!

:cheers:
Thanks for stopping by, I'm looking forward  to sharing my progress with you, I'm aiming for at least weekly.

4/7/17 EDIT: Replaced the dodgy photo links, and added some info about some seedlings I've already started.

Yes 50cm is OK. They will grow into each other but they love that jungle feeling.

1)The best production per plant;  space them 60-100cm apart

2)The best production per square meter ; space them even 30-50cm apart

In other words , do the best you can with your available space.

karoo said:
Yes 50cm is OK. They will grow into each other but they love that jungle feeling.

1)The best production per plant;  space them 60-100cm apart

2)The best production per square meter ; space them even 30-50cm apart

In other words , do the best you can with your available space.
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll just have to be sure to give the Amarillos plenty of space... ;)

Got mine 30cm apart, but that's all I had space wise.

My logic was that would be no worse off than a 10ltr pot and that has served me well in the past.

Like karoo says they will grow into each other, but that makes harvesting all the more fun.

At 50cm that's plenty as long as you can get to all the plants (I only have to reach 80cm at the most to get to all my plants)

KAOS said:
Got mine 30cm apart, but that's all I had space wise.

My logic was that would be no worse off than a 10ltr pot and that has served me well in the past.

Like karoo says they will grow into each other, but that makes harvesting all the more fun.

At 50cm that's plenty as long as you can get to all the plants (I only have to reach 80cm at the most to get to all my plants)
Getting to the plants won't be a problem I think, I'll have 4 rows of 10 plants, with the inner two rows right next to each other, but 40cm between the two middle and two outer rows, if that makes sense.

TL;DR I'll have 40cm wide aisles allowing adjacent access to all plants.

Been working the pepper patch today. The soil seems better quality than I originally thought.
With chillies, where abouts on the sandy-loamy-clay scale is preferable?
1- Sandy
2- Sandy/Loamy
3- Loamy
4- Loamy/Clay
5- Clay

I'd say that the pepper patch is currently ranging between 2 and 3.5, averaging at 2.5ish.

I plan to add pre-mixed soil, compost and manure, plus feed. Won't be adding too much though, as my wallet can't handle too much lol.

Additional question: Which manure is best? I've got cow, sheep and chicken readily available, but not horse for some reason.

No pics today unfortunately, and not much news is new. Slugs have made a comeback though, the past few days of rain favour the enemy... Strategies are being developed for total annihilation...

:hell:

Thanks for all the help and advice so far!
I think I'm still gonna need a fair bit :rofl:
TBG, over and out.

Hey TBG

Sounds like your soil is spot on really. Maybe just some unbranded compost to give it a boost and some extra mulching.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I am probably the worlds worst gardener, but I did some tests with the cayenne peppers this year.
Four plants. One in compost only / one in half compost half potting mix / one in potting mix only / one in thirds potting mix compost sand (like river sand).
The first and last were failures (compost too strong ? and the sand made the mix very dense - drained great but very heavy)
Of the other two, the potting mix compost combo seemed to be the best. Good growth from the potting mix only, but stalled after a while.

That's when I played around with perlite in the mix and it was chalk and cheese compared to the above.
Now you can't be working perlite into the garden (too expensive), but it did teach me that it's all about the oxygen to the roots.

So my advice to you is stick with what you got and try adding something the will not only feed the soil, but that will also provide descent drainage without becoming dense (sand test)
I have again this year just mixed in cheap compost (it is just plain bad quality "compost"), but it does a great job of loosening up the soil.
I will then supplement with feeding during the season and hopefully have a win-win at the end.

We have reasonable success with our roses every year and all we use is plain sheep pellets.
Just sprinkle around the drip line avoiding the stem and flowers come busting out.
If the roses love it I'm sure the peppers will do alright also and it's cost effective and slow release.

KAOS said:
Hey TBG

Sounds like your soil is spot on really. Maybe just some unbranded compost to give it a boost and some extra mulching.

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I am probably the worlds worst gardener, but I did some tests with the cayenne peppers this year.
Four plants. One in compost only / one in half compost half potting mix / one in potting mix only / one in thirds potting mix compost sand (like river sand).
The first and last were failures (compost too strong ? and the sand made the mix very dense - drained great but very heavy)
Of the other two, the potting mix compost combo seemed to be the best. Good growth from the potting mix only, but stalled after a while.

That's when I played around with perlite in the mix and it was chalk and cheese compared to the above.
Now you can't be working perlite into the garden (too expensive), but it did teach me that it's all about the oxygen to the roots.

So my advice to you is stick with what you got and try adding something the will not only feed the soil, but that will also provide descent drainage without becoming dense (sand test)
I have again this year just mixed in cheap compost (it is just plain bad quality "compost"), but it does a great job of loosening up the soil.
I will then supplement with feeding during the season and hopefully have a win-win at the end.

We have reasonable success with our roses every year and all we use is plain sheep pellets.
Just sprinkle around the drip line avoiding the stem and flowers come busting out.
If the roses love it I'm sure the peppers will do alright also and it's cost effective and slow release.

Thanks very much!
A decent trove of knowledge here! I've seen how your plants are going, so I think your word is definitely with its salt! It all follows the general principles of things, and agrees with most of the glogs on here that I've been following. I've been digging in the books over the weekend - I highly recommend Yates Garden Guide - and they seem to all day the same as you - you can't go wrong with adding compost and organic matter. The glogs here are a testament to that; The Guru's slogan is "feed the soil", and Frank (Moruga Welder) swears by horse poo as the cause of his stellar results.

So I'll definitely be stiring the compost into the patch! It's also interesting to hear that you use just the cheap, basic quality compost, as I've been comparing products and knowing that the cheap stuff still works is a huge relief!

I just finished spreading the pre-planting fertiliser feed on one row in the patch. Used both a generic, All-Purpose NPK Granulised Fertiliser, and an organic-based "Betta-Bloom" fertiliser that's tailored specifically for chillies (or so it says). It was only half way through applying the second one that I realised I was giving two full feeds at once! So that should be quite interesting when I get the plants in there... Fingers crossed the plants don't suffer because of my silly mistake!

I'm gonna try to get one row ready for planting out this week, ambitiously. Might happen, might not. We'll see what happens...

Thanks again KAOS for the advice and anecdotes! You're just one of the million reasons this place rocks! :metal:

Can't go too long without pictures!

All the best looking plants are out getting some sun on this glorious day. The rain is now behind us, and everyone is happier for it! Got a great soaking, plus the nice warm weather (mostly) and the grass is greener!

DSCN2256.JPG

DSCN2258.JPG

Cayenne X Bhut has done a triple fork by the looks of things?

DSCN2263.JPG

Or maybe its forked and then forked on the fork? Time will tell, I think I'm too impatient... XD

Some battle scars.

DSCN2264.JPG

DSCN2265.JPG

This damage was done the other night, while it was raining. Only a few plants were being attacked, so I moved them so that they were inaccessible (for slimy mercenaries at least) and there hasn't been any more attacks on anything, but it has been dryer since then... we'll see iff the enemy returns...  

In the Amarillo Growdown thread, I mentioned that I was considering topping my #1 Amarillo, because it was looking lanky and not much side action happening. And so the other Amarillo starts behaving like this:

DSCN2260.JPG

Its putting out decent side growth at every leaf! 
So I think I'll go ahead and top the #1, and see what happens...

Thanks for stopping by! :metal:

You're off to an awesome start, TBG! :party:

Don't overthink anything, and just 'let it ride,' brother! Everything will fall right into place. Looking great so far! Everything looks nice and healthy

Looking forward to following your grow while I'm buried in snow up here in a few months ;)

MikeUSMC said:
You're off to an awesome start, TBG! :party:

Don't overthink anything, and just 'let it ride,' brother! Everything will fall right into place. Looking great so far! Everything looks nice and healthy

Looking forward to following your grow while I'm buried in snow up here in a few months ;)
Cheers!

I've had the pleasure of following all the glogs on the other side of the world for the last 9 month, so returning the favour is the least I can do!

qandeel said:
Looking good TBG. How old are the plants now?
Thanks!

The oldest, The #1 Aji Amarillo, is about 16 weeks old, and the youngest, the Bleeding Borg 9, is about 4 weeks old. All the ones in the pictures from the last post are around 9-12 weeks old.
As a matter of fact, the two Cayenne X Bhuts will be exactly 12 weeks old tomorrow and the next day! So great timing with your question ;)

Looking good. From now on you should see a daily change.
That Aji Amarillo is just waiting to explode. :onfire:

If you look back on my Aji Amarillo pics you will see the side branches developing . At the moment all the sidebranches have passed the main stem in height and all have split and flowered.

karoo said:
Looking good. From now on you should see a daily change.
That Aji Amarillo is just waiting to explode. :onfire:

If you look back on my Aji Amarillo pics you will see the side branches developing . At the moment all the sidebranches have passed the main stem in height and all have split and flowered.

KAOS said:
Just run through some old posts. Check how that Amarillo has grown since post #88 (less than two weeks).

Can't wait for pod time. Going to colourful :dance:
Thanks guys!

Yeah, the Amarillo is growing at an exponential rate. Because I now have the handy measuring stake in the pot, I have noticed that it is growing roughly 1cm everyday. Haven't topped it yet...

Update Time!!!!!!!!!

Got the Pepper Patch looking organised, its mostly all ready for some slight improvements and then - PLANTING!!!!

DSCN2269.JPG

Ran out of fertilisers along the way, got 7/8ths done with one, and 3/4ths done with the other, with 1/2 the patch done and dusted, apart from compost. 

The Chilli fertiliser I was using is this:

DSCN2267.JPG

I'll have to try to see if I can find it anywhere, as I bought it a few years back.

Plants are cruising along, although batch one is miserable compared to the others, I'm not expecting to get much off them, but there's still hope. The rest are another story entirely, superb! Currently trending is obviously the Cayenne X Bhut, putting out side shoots and going up, up up!
DSCN2274.JPG

Its also been doing some forking, as shown here:

DSCN2275.JPG

Because I'm a nerd with not much better to do, I found the pattern for buds so far.
Start off with 1. (Total 1) Add 2. (Total 3) Add 2 to each of those new ones, 4 all up. (Total 7) That's where it is now. So I'm guessing that next it'll add 8 buds, giving a total of 15. Then total of 31, 63, 127, 257, and so on. 

Formula?
Tn = (Tn-1 x 2) +1

We'll see if it follows the maths :rofl:

Meanwhile, Amarillo 2 is also side shooting

DSCN2273.JPG

And I got gifted some Purple Climbing Beans and Kefler Potatoes from a friend of a friend. I think I'll try to offload some of my extra plants onto them in return  :D

Thats All (for now) Folks!

Attachments

• DSCN2268.JPG
    DSCN2268.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 80
karoo said:
Looks great , those plants should be happy with their new home.
Nothing like planting out , getting your fingers in the dirt.
Enjoy it!
Cheers!

Hoping to get into town this week and buy some compost, but we'll see what happens...

Back