• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TC's 2016 Pepper Patch

I am going to try and do a Glog this year.  This is my initial grow list and I am sure it will change once I see what seeds are left from the Chris Phillips auction.

Aji Jobito -- Lindberg
Aji Llaneron -- Lindberg
Aji Margariteno -- Lindberg
Aji Pepon -- Lindberg
Aji Rosita Red -- Lindberg
Aji Risito Yellow -- Lindberg
Bahamian Goat -- Jamison
Billy Biker Jalapeño -- Burpee
Brown BBG7 --Romy6
Caramel Brainstrain --Romy6
Chocolate Habanero -- Juanitos
Cumra Cherry -- Pepperlover
Friarello Di Napoli -- TC saved seeds
Guajillo -- Unknown
Hot Rod Serrano X CBBG7 -- FreeportBum
Jimmy Nardello -- TC saved seeds
Marconi -- TC saved seeds
MOA Scotch Bonnets -- TC saved seeds
Mystery Citrus -- GrantMichaels
Mystery Wine -- Joyner
Numex Big Jim -- Fiogga
Onza -- Chili Pepper Institute
Orange 7-Pot -- Buckeye
Pasilla Bajio -- Unknown
Red Rocoto Lima Market #1 -- FreeportBum
Rocapica -- FreeportBum
Rocoto PI 355812 -- FreeportBum
Rocoto PI 585273 -- FreeportBum
Rocoto San Isidro -- FreeportBum
Yellow Manzano -- FreeportBum
Yellow SBJ7 -- Romy6
Yellow Tepin -- Unknown

I plan to have roughly 45-50 plants.  So I may have some doubles in there and I will be adding some more varieties.  

Baha Goat x Butch T Yellow -- D3monic
Lemon Drop x Inca Berry -- D3monic

image.jpeg

First ripe pepper of the year. A runt Aji Rosita Red. I also snipped all of the scapes.

Devv said:
So how are you going to use the scapes?
Well...I saw Jeff mention sauteing them in butter, so tonight I cut up 2 of the scales and put them on the grill with butter and salt. They were pretty good. I did spot a pesto recipe that I may have the wife give a try.

bpiela said:
Woot!  A Lindberg pepper is seeing the light of day!  How is it?  Huh?  Huh?
It was a runt. Not a seed inside. No heat at all, but a nice sweet flavor. I assume this will change when I get a full size pod.

tctenten said:
Thanks. My plants seem bigger and stronger than last year. The only thing I changed was that I used the Espoma to feed them.

Here are a few flower pictures.

attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

I was at my local hardware store today and saw Espoma organic garden tone and put it out today on my potted pepper & tomato plants. Sure is stenchy whew.  Hope it works. 

A quick update.  Finally getting some extended good weather and the plants are loving it.  

Aji Margariteno

IMG_6572.JPG

Aji Jobito starting to pod up

IMG_6573.JPG

Mystery Wine

IMG_6575.JPG

Yellow Jalapeno

IMG_6579.JPG

IMG_6580.JPG

Overhead shot from my sunroom.  We enjoy our meal out there this time of year and I get to watch the results of all the work so far.  You can also see my drip setup.  Three 1/2 main lines that feed the plants on each side with 1/4 tubing into emitters.  

I love the way you made your growing area the way you did Terry... between the pots and the dark-colored crushed stone underneath to act as a thermal mass, you made a warm micro-climate for your chiles and they're already thanking you for it! Great job! Keep a close eye on their moisture levels though... fabric pots can dry out quicker than you may think.

Devv said:
I see you're way ahead of the game for your area, congrats!

You certainly got it going on! ;)
Thanks Scott. It does seem like the peppers are ahead of their pace from last year. I will chalk that up to the great advice and tips I get at THP.

stickman said:
I love the way you made your growing area the way you did Terry... between the pots and the dark-colored crushed stone underneath to act as a thermal mass, you made a warm micro-climate for your chiles and they're already thanking you for it! Great job! Keep a close eye on their moisture levels though... fabric pots can dry out quicker than you may think.

Thanks Rick. That area is about 30'x30'. When my daughter was youger it was where her swing set was. It is actually black rubber mulch. Last year was the first time planting there and I was pretty happy with the results.

grantmichaels said:
You have the only pods of MC - that I'm aware of, anyways!
D3 has flowers, no pods, and Dru, JHP, and The Bum don't have plants to my knowledge ...
SR and ShortcutToHell, WM and sirex, and PaulG have seeds, but I'm unsure if they planted any ...
The plants are progressing nicely. I have a few pods so far, but expect they will be loaded with pods pretty soon.

I like the view. As Rick said, those fabric pots dry out quick. I couldn't keep enough water in them. Doesn't look like you have a problem, they are looking good. Great pod's.

Back