• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TC's 2016 Pepper Patch

I am going to try and do a Glog this year.  This is my initial grow list and I am sure it will change once I see what seeds are left from the Chris Phillips auction.

Aji Jobito -- Lindberg
Aji Llaneron -- Lindberg
Aji Margariteno -- Lindberg
Aji Pepon -- Lindberg
Aji Rosita Red -- Lindberg
Aji Risito Yellow -- Lindberg
Bahamian Goat -- Jamison
Billy Biker Jalapeño -- Burpee
Brown BBG7 --Romy6
Caramel Brainstrain --Romy6
Chocolate Habanero -- Juanitos
Cumra Cherry -- Pepperlover
Friarello Di Napoli -- TC saved seeds
Guajillo -- Unknown
Hot Rod Serrano X CBBG7 -- FreeportBum
Jimmy Nardello -- TC saved seeds
Marconi -- TC saved seeds
MOA Scotch Bonnets -- TC saved seeds
Mystery Citrus -- GrantMichaels
Mystery Wine -- Joyner
Numex Big Jim -- Fiogga
Onza -- Chili Pepper Institute
Orange 7-Pot -- Buckeye
Pasilla Bajio -- Unknown
Red Rocoto Lima Market #1 -- FreeportBum
Rocapica -- FreeportBum
Rocoto PI 355812 -- FreeportBum
Rocoto PI 585273 -- FreeportBum
Rocoto San Isidro -- FreeportBum
Yellow Manzano -- FreeportBum
Yellow SBJ7 -- Romy6
Yellow Tepin -- Unknown

I plan to have roughly 45-50 plants.  So I may have some doubles in there and I will be adding some more varieties.  

Baha Goat x Butch T Yellow -- D3monic
Lemon Drop x Inca Berry -- D3monic

The plants are looking great, Terry! What variety of garlic are you growing? I'm growing Music and three other hardnecks this season. I've grown Music before and really liked it. This season it's time for a taste test.

stickman said:
The Ajis and Pubes should do well for you this early since they can take colder temps. The rest look nice too. Good luck with your plant-out!
So far seeing more pods than I did last year. I hope it continues.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
The plants are looking great, Terry! What variety of garlic are you growing? I'm growing Music and three other hardnecks this season. I've grown Music before and really liked it. This season it's time for a taste test.
I ordered a couple of different varieties and I do not remember. This was more of an experiment to see I it would grow well for me. So far...so good. We use so much garlic, that next year I will plant more and different varieties.

image.jpeg

I have been planting the last few nights after work. Done on this side of the house. About 55 10 or 15 gallon root pouches. I still need to set up the drip system, but the weather is not requiring much water just yet.

Alright Terry... that's a lot of root pouches! Between the Coco growing medium, fabric pots and the crushed stone they're sitting on, I'll be interested to see how much water they end up needing during the summer. Good luck!

tctenten said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
I have been planting the last few nights after work. Done on this side of the house. About 55 10 or 15 gallon root pouches. I still need to set up the drip system, but the weather is not requiring much water just yet.
Looks like pepper utopia. No worries on a great harvest this year. Keep up the good work my friend.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Question for anyone that uses drip systems. Last year I had one of those rings around every pepper plant. Each ring has 5 small drip holes. I figured this would lead to better watering in a round root pouch. I added some more root pouches so I need to get more emitters or more drip line.

Any input if you guys feel one is beter than the other? Or is it all the same. The single emiyters are just less work.

tctenten said:
Question for anyone that uses drip systems. Last year I had one of those rings around every pepper plant. Each ring has 5 small drip holes. I figured this would lead to better watering in a round root pouch. I added some more root pouches so I need to get more emitters or more drip line.

Any input if you guys feel one is beter than the other? Or is it all the same. The single emiyters are just less work.

When I was planting in airpots I just used a single emitter for each pot... I set the hose timer for 20 minutes every 12 hours and that came out to half a liter of water per pot per watering, and that seemed to do the trick. Just bear in mind that emitters are made with different outputs, and you want to match the most appropriate ones to the system you're using.

Trident chilli said:
Looks like easy maintenance I am intrigued as to the plants growth as I have seen these pouches in my local hydro shop ... all the best
Ozzy2001 said:
I have some of those pouches as well. I really like them. They're sturdy, and are breathable so they are to an extent like an air pot.
Last year was my first year with them and I was very happy with my results. The only downside is That it is tough to support the plants as the get big. I lost a few branched loaded with pods during a few storms we had.

Trident chilli said:
Looks like easy maintenance I am intrigued as to the plants growth as I have seen these pouches in my local hydro shop ... all the best
I used them this year and the plants that were in them were all huge.  I went 10g bags. 
tctenten said:
Last year was my first year with them and I was very happy with my results. The only downside is That it is tough to support the plants as the get big. I lost a few branched loaded with pods during a few storms we had.
Especially aji amarillo, tall plant and heavy pods... All of mine got 2-3 garden stakes in the bag at planting, which helped alot too.  

What do you do with all the chillies TC?  It looks like you have twice as many as I grew out, and I am still picking a minimum 2lb a week at the moment.  Thought I was done for after the last pick of 2.4kg but no frosts forecast and lots of colour in the patch again this morning.  There is no way I could eat my way through that many! 

Bumper said:
What do you do with all the chillies TC?  It looks like you have twice as many as I grew out, and I am still picking a minimum 2lb a week at the moment.  Thought I was done for after the last pick of 2.4kg but no frosts forecast and lots of colour in the patch again this morning.  There is no way I could eat my way through that many!
Way to many peppers for me if weather and no pest issues. I give as many as I can away, make jams, hot sauce etc.

Here are some picture updates.

Rocoto PI355812

image.jpeg

Mystery Wine

image.jpeg

Rocoto Lima Market

image.jpeg

Rocoto San Isidro

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice to see pods. Plants seem to be doing ok in less than ideal weather.

Back