• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tepin x lemon drop (new f3s in the dirt)

smileyguy697 said:
I hear you bro.. So is mine! Just figure i didn't want them to go to waste since I put effort in isolating them.
 I'd gladly take some for next year as long as you know I'm not growing them this year. And, I would isolate them next year by bagging blossoms.

Hey Mike, I am still interested in growing these out if you don't mind sending some to Japan. :-D

By my estimate shipping would be about $1.50 on the high end. Let me know man. I would be growing these out at my office for complete isolation.

Here's a couple of my lemon tepins. One got stolen... no biggie...

Pod on #2. Mike said it could be crossed again with a 7 pot chaguanas.

I'll take more pics tomorrow.

Mike I'd like to take the seed offer. You know I'll grow them for sure. They stole one but that's just another reason to sow more Lol.... lmk if you want a sasbe or whatever. On Facebook I'm Vidal. My name is Walter Vidal... typical Mexican habit to give 2 names lol...

-Walt

filmost said:
Hey Mike, I am still interested in growing these out if you don't mind sending some to Japan. :-D

By my estimate shipping would be about $1.50 on the high end. Let me know man. I would be growing these out at my office for complete isolation.
Paypal? I'll send em if you wanna pay postage. Lol... Might even come w surprise seeds if its gotta go that far.

Paypal? I'll send em if you wanna pay postage. Lol... Might even come w surprise seeds if its gotta go that far.

Works for me. PM me your PayPal address?

Vegas_Chili said:
Here's a couple of my lemon tepins. One got stolen... no biggie...

Pod on #2. Mike said it could be crossed again with a 7 pot chaguanas.

I'll take more pics tomorrow.

Mike I'd like to take the seed offer. You know I'll grow them for sure. They stole one but that's just another reason to sow more Lol.... lmk if you want a sasbe or whatever. On Facebook I'm Vidal. My name is Walter Vidal... typical Mexican habit to give 2 names lol...

-Walt
Sucks they stole it but it's all good Walter! Heck you didn't even have to ask!

Hi Mike.

So...I only just happened upon this thread while watching the Derby this afternoon.   Glad I found it!  Don't know where I've been.

How's the mother plant doing?

I have two Tepin x Lemon Drop plants growing from seed saved from the pods you sent to me.  They were planted on Jan 19 and hooks were up on Jan 23.  

The first pic is one I had posted earlier in my glog of one of the plants as it looked on March 15.
This is the taller of the two pictured below and heretofore will be called #1.

These were taken today (May 3):

Both have a lot of small flower buds forming.   I plan to grow them away from my other peppers and isolate a few flower buds before they open.  I am anxious to see what the fruit is like on these - both compared to one another and to what the mother plant produces.
I'll be sending you some of each when the time arrives.

Yeah, this thread got away from me cone9. I need to upload a few update pics myself. Lol.. Any way I have a few ripe f1 and f2s. I want to sit down and review them both side by side again. I actually did it a couple weeks back but accidentally deleted the wrong vid like a jack ass. Any way the f2 was hotter, sweeter and the burn lasted longer while affecting the mouth differently. Maybe I can get around to trying it again this weekend.

This will be cool to follow, Mike.  Please try to bore us with lots of detail and pictures!

Let me summarize where I think you are with this at present and see if I have it right.

-You have your F1 mother plant which is producing isolated pods.
-You have collected F2 seed from these pods.
-You have F2 pods from F2 plants but these were grown from OP seed.  This would be what I and others are growing now.  It will be interesting to see if any of these produce fruit with superior qualities that you might want to breed back into the strain (but really only useful if you know those pods were produced from isolated flowers).

Are you now growing plants from the isolated F2 seeds?
Are you going to self-pollinate these  F2 plants to produce your F3 seeds and then self-pollinate those F3 plants to produce F4 etc?
I am assuming that each generation produces fruit with characteristics that you like.  If not, will you cross-pollinate the later generations back to the F1 mother?

The more I think about this the more directions there are to go to get what you want.  Lots of potential work to be done here that could take a bit of time (fruit flies would be a hell of a lot simpler and quicker - but not taste as good).

Now I am imagining GMO fruit flies with capsaicin genes spliced in.

SPICY FLIES!  :fireball:

PS. Anyone willing to SASBE me seeds for these? F1, F2, I don't care. Tepins are one of my favorite all time peppers. I get so excited when I find them growing in the wild. People look at me funny when I start eating bits of their shrubbery, but I just can't help myself. Anyhoo, this sounds like a major winner of a cross.

Hey hey, I'll also be checking in one in awhile since I got some sprouts finally! Unfortunately they are at my place instead of my office so will have to be very careful isolating seeds.

I also tasted a couple of F2's. I don't have F1 pods to compare but for me the flavor was very similar and tasty. Here are a few pics, it's been a while since I posted.

Here's a couple of pods. What I did was started them indoors and when I saw this couple of pods forming I just let it be and did it to secure isolated seed to start F3.

I like this shape better. Almost round but it kinda looks like a round and red lemon drop.

Here's a different plant. This one looks very Baccatum from the start and the pod looks like it wants to be yellow. Lol.

I'll wait for this one to turn color before I decide to sow F3.

-Walt

Interesting pics, Walt.  You certainly show some variation from the F1 pods.

These are the F1 pods Mike send to me last summer.  The seed from these produced my current F2 plants.

** CAUTION:  Do not touch that brown, wrinkly thing at the left right in the first pic - it will hurt you!!!

PepperWhisperer said:
Now I am imagining GMO fruit flies with capsaicin genes spliced in.

SPICY FLIES!  :fireball:

PS. Anyone willing to SASBE me seeds for these? F1, F2, I don't care. Tepins are one of my favorite all time peppers. I get so excited when I find them growing in the wild. People look at me funny when I start eating bits of their shrubbery, but I just can't help myself. Anyhoo, this sounds like a major winner of a cross.
Pm me your addy..

yes the f2 I planted was open pollinated but is growing true to the mother. Here is a pick of both the f1(left) f2 (right) both of these are isolatedand and I plan to go ahead and sow the f3 seed from this plant later this evening. There is sill a pod variation between a more rounded pod and the more bullet/tear shape I posted here. Personally I like the tear drop shape better so I plan to gun for that unless something else pops out. The plan is to get the f3 to pod before winter and grow out the f4 Indoors over winter.

@ walter If those turn yellow you gotta send some back.

There is a good handful of people with op and iso seeds at the moment. It'll be cool top see what turns up.

That seems quite promising that the F2 is so similar to the F1.  

You should cross pollinate F1 flowers with those F2 flowers and see what you get.  You could get some fruit from that this summer and grow it out over winter along with your F4  (I'm good at suggesting work for someone else!).

There is such a genetic crap shoot in which seed you happen to choose to germinate and which you don't.  Wouldn't it be nice to have the luxury of the proper  time and facilities to grow out several dozen isolated plants each generation?  

Mike,

I tried a couple times and could not get mine to sprout. I still have some seeds and will hold them till next season. I feel that will give me time to learn more about what I'm doing and work better with my limited space. Thanks again for all the help and seeds. Good luck with your grow.

Robert
Rymerpt

Rymerpt said:
Mike,

I tried a couple times and could not get mine to sprout. I still have some seeds and will hold them till next season. I feel that will give me time to learn more about what I'm doing and work better with my limited space. Thanks again for all the help and seeds. Good luck with your grow.

Robert
Rymerpt
I have more if you need..

Looking forward to seeing what the seeds I got from you turn out like Mike. Mine are currently sitting at 1 set of true leaves, waiting for the 2nd set to start before transplanting outside. Shouldn't be much longer til they're kicking into high gear.

Back