• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tepin x lemon drop (new f3s in the dirt)

D3monic said:
I just tried my first one that I was growing. Was expecting to get hammered. Had no heat at all. Was surprised. Hopefully it was just a fluke. 
Was prolly just a fluke but they're could be a possibility that one of the plants you grew just don't produce heat being unstable and all still. That's kind of why I started this thread to find the best and keep working with them.. But like I said being the first one who knows. They are by no means a superhot though.. You don't have a monster tolerance yet do you?

smileyguy697 said:
Was prolly just a fluke but they're could be a possibility that one of the plants you grew just don't produce heat being unstable and all still. That's kind of why I started this thread to find the best and keep working with them.. But like I said being the first one who knows. They are by no means a superhot though.. You don't have a monster tolerance yet do you?

I'd like to think so but that bonda ma jacques I bit into earlier begged to differ. Light me up and had my tongue burning for like 20 mins. Mine seem to have the right shape for the F2s. Will see on the next ones on what the heat is like. 

D3monic said:

I'd like to think so but that bonda ma jacques I bit into earlier begged to differ. Light me up and had my tongue burning for like 20 mins. Mine seem to have the right shape for the F2s. Will see on the next ones on what the heat is like. 

Hahahahaha! Nice!!! And yeah I like the shape of that red one.. Keep me posted.. Anyway I don't have a monster tolerance yet either but it's getting there. Today we went out for Mexican and I took in 20 charapita and had them put em all in my fajitas. Has my guts rolling at the moment. Lol

Both plants are ripening pods.  Taste and heat is as I remember them from last year.  Here is a pic of plant #2 (in a pot).  Very nice peppers here but of concern is that the plant is no longer flowering.  I want to isolate a few flowers on this plant.  I hope it resumes flowering.   The other plant is similarly ripening fruit but also in flower as well.

cone9 said:
Both plants are ripening pods.  Taste and heat is as I remember them from last year.  Here is a pic of plant #2 (in a pot).  Very nice peppers here but of concern is that the plant is no longer flowering.  I want to isolate a few flowers on this plant.  I hope it resumes flowering.   The other plant is similarly ripening fruit but also in flower as well.

I'm jealous! Those look great and my txld plants are small and not looking the greatest this go round! Lol

Mike, I'll send some to you as soon as I get the chance.  I have a plate full of issues (health and otherwise) to deal with over the next couple weeks.

Both my plants were grown from OP seed I saved from my plants last year.  These peppers are remarkably similar in taste, heat and appearance to last years peppers.  I suppose that may bode well for actually stabilizing your cross.

mememe said:
Some great things get discovered by accident, like penicilin (and LSD - just kidding :-P).

When I think about it, beside this cross, the douglah and pimenta de neyde were found by chance?
WEll I will have crosses between Jolokia/ NuMex hertiage 6-4 chili
Aji Dulce/ Jolokia
New Mex / Aji Dulce- prob a super tasty pepper.

My Tepin x Lemon Drop F5 F4 on 7-26-16
aa-TxLD%20f4%207-16.jpg

Today, just before harvest

Here's the first ripe one picked

Not many seeds and easily removed.  Nice for eating.

With a US penny gives a size reference for the American contingient

( wow...Abe was a chilihead...who knew!! )

This generation's peppers are about twice the size as when I first grew the TxLD at F2.  The taste is about what I remember from last year's crop but perhaps slightly less heat..

I really enjoyed this pepper.   A bit of sweetness with mild/mod heat, nice and crunchy.  Nice to eat fresh as a snack (as I did).  

I have not isolated my TxLD plant that is used to harvest seed aside from distancing it from the other peppers I grow.  So, there is always a chance I have introduced another parental component.  In any case, I like what is happening here and will continue on to F6 next year.

edit: sorry for the size of the pics.  I just switched to IMGUR and I guess it uploads larger than P-bucket.
another edit:  I was looking back in this thread and realized I am at F4 not F5.

Portuge said:
Bump.... Where is every one at on this project?
I'm here!  See my pretty peppers up in #192

Mandrake said:
Looks great!
Would someone like to trade seeds with me? I would love to try growing the Tepix x Lemon Drop!
PM me your mailing address.  I'll get some seeds to you.

Yes, James, the peppers above were the first to ripen this season.  I've been interested in growing my plant out to be considered stable and have a ways to go.  However, I have not isolated with netting(or other means of isolation) but have kept each generation a respectable distance from my other peppers.  So far, each successive generation has shown marked similarity to the previous so I am comfortable that so far I have gotten self pollinated specimens but still cannot claim isolation.
Anyway, I like how they taste so I will continue as I have been doing and see what I end up with a few more years down the road.

Are you still growing them as well?

cone9 said:
Yes, James, the peppers above were the first to ripen this season.  I've been interested in growing my plant out to be considered stable and have a ways to go.  However, I have not isolated with netting(or other means of isolation) but have kept each generation a respectable distance from my other peppers.  So far, each successive generation has shown marked similarity to the previous so I am comfortable that so far I have gotten self pollinated specimens but still cannot claim isolation.
Anyway, I like how they taste so I will continue as I have been doing and see what I end up with a few more years down the road.

Are you still growing them as well?

Sorry Dave I'm currently not growing this pepper due to not having seeds. I want to say I missed the opportunity the last time around to receive some seeds. I'm interested in trying it for 2018....

Back