• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Teurf 2014 - Grand Finale

Today is a good day to start my first grow log. I have a T5 2' 4 tube fixture by EnviroGro and a single CFL. My plan is to prep my plants for a summer grow starting around may-june in a community lot (prolly 10x20 or 20x20). I started with Miracle Gro potting soil but plan on changing for ProMix BX for next transplants. So far, I have used inorganic 10-10-10 all purpose fertilizer, but would like to go for organic in the future. Right now, I am in an apartment on limited shelf space.

So far,

Carribean Red Hab (Aug 1st)
Thai Chili Red (Aug 1st)

(November 10ish)
7 pot Chaguanas
7 pot Barrackpore
7 pot Congo SR Gigantic
7 pot Original Red
7 pot Burgundy
7 pot Primo
Red Bhut Jolokia
Brown Moruga

To come:
Aji Limon
Aji Amarillo
Red Rocoto (trying to germinate....)

That's about it for now!
TEURF

Hello all

It is april 18 and I decided I had waited enough. After reading PMD posts I figured I could have my soil mix cooking 1 month before plant date.. I bought peat moss, dolomitic lime, shrimp and seaweed compost, perlite, tomato tone and azomite.

I also ordered pond undeŕlay and will practice my sewing skills to do 7 gal fabric pots :)

I think I misscalculated my mix and used compressed peat values instead of expanded... I might end up adding a lot of stuff to the pile.

God damn winter was a pain in the butt this year. I sure hope summer will pay back!!

See ya soon

Teurf!!!

Hello Again,

I did it. My first compost tea batch. I went with EcoPlus Air-3 pump and 6 small hydrofarm airstone. I had 2 X 5 buckets. One with shrimp and kelp (marine compost) and one with EWCs. I kept the water around 70F throughout the brewing.

I used 2 tbsp of molasses and 2 tbsp of rockdust, dechlorinated water, 1-2 cups of compost.

I had it brewing for about 30 hours in total.

Since I did not have any more adequate water I used as a undiluted drench on a raised bed and my covered cooking pile.

I wish I had a microscope to see if I succeeded in my tea brewing...

TEURF

Update: DIY Fabric Pots (Step by Step)... taken from 420magazine Canna site

Hello, I received my pond underlayment I ordered from Pets And Ponds (Ontario, Canada). I got 160 square feet of non-woven polypropylene 8 oz fabric.

The ingredients:
- Pond underlayment (try to get something thick, something durable)
- Outdoor UV resistant thread (I got polyester)
- Seatbelt like material for handles
- Bias tape or seatbelt material for top border
- A lot of pins
- A few hard caliber sewing needle (something for leather or heavy fabric)
- A good sewing machine with a linear not too tight stitch

Step 1: Planning

For a 7 gallon pot, I needed a 15'' diameter bottom and a rectangular piece of 13.5'' X 45''. For cutting the fabric, I recommend doing a pattern with a cardboard piece as a stencil.

Step 2: Cutting

You need to cut the fabric as stated before, the bias tape needs to be about 1/2'' wide by 44'' long. Handles can be 6'' long by 1'' wide.

Step 3: Sew the tape 1/4'' from the top.

Step 4: Fold and sew the top border. The fold needs to be in the inner side of the pot.

Step 5: Sew the handles just under the top border with an X pattern and a square.

Step 6: Fold the fabric and sew along the width of the fabric about 1/2'' from the edge.

Step 7: Pin down the bottom to the circled rectangle trying to do the less wrinkles as possible. Then sew about an 1/2'' seam.

Step 8: VOILÀ!

Thanks,
TEURF

May 19 update: Group shot and Community plot

This Sunday I finally had access to my community garden. The heavy May rains made the clay soil very dense and muddy. I spread 4 45pound bags of composted horse manure from a local horse trainer. I dug up trenches and filled with free wood chips I got from the city. Then I sowed a few vegies:

- Carrots, Parsnip, Beets, Radishes, turnip
- Parsley, Tarragon, Basil, Thai Basil, CIlantro, Thyme, Rosemary
- Cucumber, Squash, Zucchinis
- Onions, Shallots, Garlic
- Lettuce, Brocoli
- Beans and Edamame
- Calendula, Marigold, Nasturtium

I now need to do the trellises for the totatoes, peppers and cucumbers.

Back to my parents house, I filled my 7 fabric pots with my mix I had cooking for a month, I planted caribbean hab, 7 pot congo SR gigantic and 7 pot Primo. Hopefully the weather is not too cold atm.

A few shots from the peppers:

Numex Big Jims and Joe E Parkers

Suprisingly the Trinidad Perfume on the left is so sturdy, make me want to break the bottle and put it outside..

Bigger superhots with a little too much heliotropism action due to the window shelf growing

I should begin hardening off pretty soon.
Teurf

Wow man!!!  I absolutely loved going through this Glog from the first post.  It was so cool to see everything progress.  I'll stay tuned.  Your plants look really,  really good.  The beer bottle plants are amazing and had me laughing on your last post.  Something I'm gonna have to try myself.  Any drain holes in them things?  I love how you transitioned into Organic gardening.  I also read Teaming with Microbes and agree it's an awesome book.  Dude,  keep kicking ass up in the Great White North!  Winter was rough up there this year for sure.  Have fun the rest of the year!

June 20th Update:

Hello hello, it's been a while since I posted. I was on vacation with my gf in Virginia and Cape Hatteras where the weather was smashing.

When I came back I did a 48 hours compost tea brew from forest soil, garden soil and worm castings. Here is the layout of the garden I did (did it with almanac garden planner):

Not everything germinated that well. Lettuce and herbs did not do that well except for Basil and Cilantro. My peppers got quite a bash when I planted them in the soil...I basically lost all leaves and terrible rain drowned the plot. Small leaves and slowly emerging after the storm, hopefully :)

Work peppers produced here are 2 nice ones:

Here is a Numex Big Jim with a first pod!! I am so excited about this one. You will notice I really need to get serious about deweeding :S

Back to my parents house, we have a very nice specimen with my 7 peppers: Carribean Red Hab, 7 pot Congo SR Gigantic, 7 pot primo, 7 pot Chaguanas, NumexBigJim, Brown Moruga (Judy) and 7 pot Douglah.

My chaguanas is podding up madly with over 10 peppers already. It looks like this one is a keeper for Quebec weather. Fabric pots seem awesome too.

Today, I went downtown Montreal with my peruvian friend to try its country's cuisine. I had Lomo Saltado and Papa de Huancaina (made with Aji Amarillo Peppers). I poured a little bit of rocoto sauce on my rice for a little kick. After our huge meal we went to Lima Limo, a grocery store, and found a treasure:

I will try germinating the seeds and will do some Aji de Gallina and Rocoto Relleno!

More pics to come soon!
TEURF

Teurf said:
where the weather was smashing.
sC8Y3zI.gif

Awesome pods and plants, dude...

June 30th update:

Hey I figured I could post a few close ups of potted pepps. The warm weather has finally reached Montreal; a heatwave is on forecast for the next days, and the peppers seem to like it, a lot.  :dance:

7 pot Chaguanas (first superhot pods)

Numex Big Jim, has some kind of mineral deficiency on lower leaves veins, I will check back on my books to see what I should give it, maybe epsom salts would be it.

7 pot Douglah, slowest of all, but he's catch up

Caribbean Red Habanero, topped and branching

Brown Moruga, putting out flowers in the back

7 pot Congo Sr Gigantic, shooting huge leaves now

7 pot Primo, leaves have a shriveled aspect all along the plant but generally in good shape

** Please bump for Community plot pics **

Peace
Teurf

Community plot pics: 

On the left are 6 mild red peppers (starter plants bought at the store), on the right Congo SR Gigantic, 7 pot Barrackpore, Brown Moruga, 7 pot Burgundy, Red Bhut. Picture was taken before deweeding unfortunately..

Next to the beets are: 7 Pot Primo, 7 pot Chaguanas, 7 pot Barrackpore, 7 pot Burgundy, Red Bhut, 7 pot Douglah, Aji Amarillo. The thing in the middle is parsnip.

In the front are Lemon Drop, Cherry Bomb, Thai Red, Numex Big Jim, Numex Joe E Parker, Brocoli and Marigolds

On the left are Tomatoes, then radishes, yellow peas, edamames, turnip, few brocoli, freshly sowed radishes and beans. Ground cherries on the right.

A few tomatoes:

Carrots, Onions, Garlic

One big sunchoke, a few sunflowers, and cucumbers and zucchinis on the back. Oh and also an abandoned field on my right....

Cheers,
Teurf

July 13th update:

I forgot to post the finished product of rocotos rellenos!! Here it is:

Here is my last weekend with my brother in law fishing on Richelieu river:

We caught 1 pike 1 bass a few perches and a ''sun crapet'' or w/ever it is called in english haha... Crapet Soleil

The community plot has started to pay:

Aji limo shooting

Zucchinis

Here is a pic of a lower leaf on my potted numex big jim. The mix was shrimp and kelp compost, peat, perlite, dolomitic lime, veg food, rockdust, compost tea, chicken manure. Can anyone help me with a solution for this? I've fed epsom salt for the last 2 weeks once a week.

Other than this, I decided to break the challenge and break the bottled Trinidad perfume and Peter perfume to repot them. They have taken quite a bash, but I hope they will bounce back from this. My other potted and started to put out pods I'm super excited. The ripe Chaguanas pictures and comming real soon.

Stay tuned  :onfire:
TEURF

I'm so exited, i have my 1st ripe Superhots! My 7 pot Chaguanas is the earliest, the others are just starting to pod up.

Tomorrow I am gonna try my first super: tiny 7 pot NOT YELLOW Chaguanas

Scared.
Teurf

July 20 Update: Podding up

Hi. I did it. I tried my first superhot. A tiny Chaguanas 7 pot, quite hot. I lasted 2 min before going for the milk. The taste was not so great maybe it wasn't ripe enough for sweetness.

Here are a few more Chaguanas:

7 pot Congo SR Gigantic

Brown Moruga (Judy)

Caribbean Red Habanero

Numex Big Jim

Still podding 7 pot Chaguanas

A little bee in a Sunflower at the garden

This weekend, my sister, my girlfriend and I did a sushi feast for my other sis's birthday. It was a blast!!

More to come soon :)
TEURF

July 31st update:

Here is a quick update to show evolution of pods. Ripening is real long, can't wait.

7 pot Primo

7 pot congos SR Gigantic

Brown Moruga

New Mexican Big Jim

I'm going fishing again. This time, heading towards Chibougamau @ Pourvoirie du lac Obatogamau for walleye and pike fishing! 

Cya,
TEURF

August 24th update:

Hey, its been a while since I've posted. 
Beginning of August, I went fishing with my girlfriend up in Chibougamau, 9 hours north of Montreal. I did a nice walleye fishing.

One of the old timer there showed me how to maximise your walleye eating my picking up the cheeks and what he called ''Viking's helmet'' which is the belly under the pectoral fins.

Not pepper related content:
Three additions to my collection: Poncirus Trifoliata var. Flying Dragon, Kumquat and Australian Finger Lime. Along with my Meyer Lemon and Dragonfruit Cactus.
http://s999.photobucket.com/user/Teurf/media/photo1_zps302d7f8e.jpg.html
[/URL]

All of my potted peppers have started to release pods. Not all have ripened but here is a group shot of a few I picked yesterday:
There is Congo SR Gigantic, Lemondrop, 31grams Caribbean Red Hab, Bhut and few Chaguanas (my most prolific)

Here are a few Numex Big Jim's, fresh and roasted.

Peace guys,
TEURF

More pods update:

So far what I've harvested. Lots of thai chilies, lots of Chaguanas, starting to get few Congos, my bhut, and first brown pods! Brown morugas!
The brown moruga is FULL of placenta, I wouldn't dare eat it fresh. I'm actually pussying out of pepper challenges...I should give it a try soon though

3 congos, 1 chaguanas and 2 brown morugas

Brown Moruga plant

Ripening Congos

Later,
TEURF

Nice! I'm still patiently waiting for my brown supers to ripen... I really think you should take a big bite of those morugas :P

Back