• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Teurf 2014 - Grand Finale

Today is a good day to start my first grow log. I have a T5 2' 4 tube fixture by EnviroGro and a single CFL. My plan is to prep my plants for a summer grow starting around may-june in a community lot (prolly 10x20 or 20x20). I started with Miracle Gro potting soil but plan on changing for ProMix BX for next transplants. So far, I have used inorganic 10-10-10 all purpose fertilizer, but would like to go for organic in the future. Right now, I am in an apartment on limited shelf space.

So far,

Carribean Red Hab (Aug 1st)
Thai Chili Red (Aug 1st)

(November 10ish)
7 pot Chaguanas
7 pot Barrackpore
7 pot Congo SR Gigantic
7 pot Original Red
7 pot Burgundy
7 pot Primo
Red Bhut Jolokia
Brown Moruga

To come:
Aji Limon
Aji Amarillo
Red Rocoto (trying to germinate....)

That's about it for now!
TEURF

September 13th Update: Drying and 7 pot Barrackpore variation

I recently uprooted my 1 year old seed grown Kaffir Lime Tree. I thought it would be a disaster but the tree didn't lose a leaf yet and it's been 2-3 weeks now. So I guess I might have done a good job!

I forgot to post some pics of an August adventure with my buddy Run. My friend saw an add on Kijiji for free composted horse manure. So we went over there and grabbed 5 full bags of gold. I was surprised how the pile did not smell terribly bad. I guess it confirms the ''composted'' state.

We will be spreading this manure on our community plot along with grass clippings, coffee and shredded leaves after the rototiller comes to turn the soil on October 15.

Back to peppers. I begun the process of making my powders. Here's a pic of sitting chillies left to dry up. The Amarillos were store bought at a Peruvian store in Montreal. I will try doing a Aji de Gallina soon enough.

First Primo!

Money Shot: Numex Big Jim, Lemondrop, Bhut, Brown Moruga, 7 pot Barrackpore, 7 pot Congo, Thai and 7 pot Chaguanas

My first 7 pot Burgundy, and maybe my only one  :confused:

I had read that 7 pot barrackpore were still not 100% stable. Here is a good example of this statement. It might be a mixing of seeds, but I am pretty sure I was extra meticulous while seed sowing for my first time ever hehe...

Drying operation! I now have a few powders: Thai, Amarillo, Chaguanas, Congo/Primo, Bhut/Barrackpore

See ya in a few :)
TEURF

ChiliNoob said:
Lookin good Teurf! What are those yellow ones in the bowl in the background of the "money shot"?
Thèse are lemondrops. I bélière they are from Peru and require quite a long growing season. Although they are HEAVY producers. I got mine from pepperjoe.

Teurf

October 4th, 2014: Season coming to an end..

Howdy,

I went to the community garden this weekend to continue cleaning up the plot as we need to get off on October 15th. The only thing left in the ground were turnips, parsnips, sunchokes and peppers. Parsnips had real strange shape due to clay soil... but smelled great. Can't wait for some parsnip, carrot, turnip puree!

I harvested what was left of peppers and uprooted them all. A very sad scene, but let's hope winter passes by quickly...

Back at my parents, the peppers are in bad shape but still ripening last pods. I will keep them on a little longer.

Numex Big Jim was brought in my a friend for winter.

Here is a group shot of the garden harvest plus some other left

Since it is pouring today, I thought I would start fall with a new challenge: attempt a smoked brisket.

Peace,
Teurf

I've been wondering about growing plants in beer bottles for a bit now, glad to see it worked for you! Did you end up breaking the bottles and replanting?

VirgilCane said:
I've been wondering about growing plants in beer bottles for a bit now, glad to see it worked for you! Did you end up breaking the bottles and replanting?

Yup I did but did it too late in the season. The plant went into huge shock. Bounce back after a month but too late to have ripe pods unfortunately... :(

October 12, 2014: Brisket outcome and Season closure

Hi again,

I thought I would post a few picture to close out this glog, starting off with finished brisket. I used hickory/cherry smoke with a texas style rub. Smoked @220F for 10 hours reaching 185F internal temperature in the flat part. I had a partial packer since the whole piece would not fit in my Bradley electric smoker :(. Turned out great, although taste was not as I expected, very very smoky flavor and quite dry for a piece like this. I think the flat was too lean to begin with... bah with a great sauce no one will notice hehe.

Now onto peppers. A little close up shot of the Primo.

In the beginning I thought this plant was gonna give me 5 pods max since it was so late compared to its other Super friends. In September it started pushing out massive amount of pods catching up on all other plants. They ripened pretty late but they did. I tasted one at work with a colleague, it was way too floral to my liking. And produced massive amount of sweat and tears.

Final harvest

I did a few powders: Thai, Aji Amarillo (store bought), Chaguanas, Congo, Moruga/Limon, Bhut/Barrackpore.
Some dried.
Some still fresh from last harvest but starting to go soft, better be quick before the rot gets in there.

AND!!! I uprooted my 0 pod producer Aji Amarillo. I was quite disappointed not to harvest any Aji amarillo from this plant. It got quite big but was put in the ground way too late. I will give a shot at my first Overwinter. I am quite scared to have aphids, and wish not to reexperiment thousands of fungus gnats in the bath and sink and EVERYWHERE!!!

You will also notice a bagfull of Sunchokes (Jerusalem Artichoke). For those of you in a community plot, never plant Sunchokes. They spread like L.A. Beast on 2 chocolate bhutlahs... if you know what I'm saying.

So I guess thats it. See you next year.
TEURF

Good grown'. Teurf!  That Aji trunk is a monster.  
Too bad it didn't yield any pods.  
They are a long season mama for sure.

October 13: Encore...

I killed my last plants today. Here's the potted Primo with huga mama jamma trunk

All the other dead veterans with their massive rootballs

I prepped the community plot for next year:

1- Broke the clay
2- Spread the horse manure I collected for free during summer
3- Spread 4 bags of SMEEEEELLLY grass
4- Spread 4 bags of maple leaves
5- Spread coffee grounds
6- Spread some egg shells on the tomato spots and pepper spots
7- Mix everything so it doesn't go away with the wind

Now it's really over.
Teurf

Back