• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

texmex chili

Hot Canuck said:
I make a terrible chili I'm afraid...it's hot, but it always tastes like spaghetti sauce...

I have a great chili recipe, at least to me. It's for a crock pot and if you are interested it's in a book titled "The complete Idiot's guide to Slow Cooker Cooking". I have heard that texmex is good and I would like to see a recipe for comparison. Always curious.

there is a brown bag mix that is pretty good called carol shelby. before i started to make my own mix that was one i used. and i belive i have used it in the crock pot and it did very well.

I almost always cook my chili in the crockpot for portability reasons. As long as you cook the meat before you put it in, almost any recipe should be adaptable. I'd give my recipe, but since it includes beans and other things the pros might scoff at, I'll just stick to eating it and having my friends tell me how good it is rather than give bubba a heart attack from laughing at me.

dreamtheatervt said:
I almost always cook my chili in the crockpot for portability reasons. As long as you cook the meat before you put it in, almost any recipe should be adaptable. I'd give my recipe, but since it includes beans and other things the pros might scoff at, I'll just stick to eating it and having my friends tell me how good it is rather than give bubba a heart attack from laughing at me.

Seeing as I'm not a pro I will say I cook my chili with beans, and I always use the crock pot. There's nothing wrong with the aroma of a good pot of chili cooking.

Hot Canuck said:
I make a terrible chili I'm afraid...it's hot, but it always tastes like spaghetti sauce...

Throw it on some spaghetti and call is Cincinnati style :lol:

bubbaschili said:
there is a brown bag mix that is pretty good called carol shelby. before i started to make my own mix that was one i used. and i belive i have used it in the crock pot and it did very well.

that stuff is good! i've only used it once, but the chili turned out great.

had a little of the chili mix left over...my grandma thawed out what i thought (and she thought) were baked beans. turns out it was a bunch of kidney beans. :lol: did a little improve to make it into a meal since i was also having a hot dog. scrapped the hot dog bun, sliced up the dog. poured some of that chili mix into the beans, added some paprika, ground cayenne, garlic and onion powder, black pepper, and a few globs of mega death. threw the chopped up hot dog in there..and basically had a texans chili nightmare for dinner. :lol:

personally, i don't see how or why people don't want beans in their chili. i think i've posted this before, but to me, one of the reasons chili is so great is that you can basically put whatever you want into it. so why add restrictions?

Well, some people like beans...some don't. I personally don't like beans in chili, but you won't see me turning my nose up at a bowl of red with beans if it's offered.

bubbaschili said:

Try this one Eremite...

"Carroll Shelbys Chili mix" is a great ready mixed bag of stuff for home-style chili. I've used it alot of times for the family when i didn't already have my own spices ground up for use, and i admit for the family, i do add pinto beans (fresh onions, peppers, and a pound extra meat)... we have a large herd to feed, so the extra filler is a must.

If you want to go more of the purist route without beans, without a ready-mix, and simple enough to whip up in a couple of hours... try this:

路 4 lbs. coarsely ground beef
. 8 oz "Jimmy Dean Sausage" (hot is preferable)
路 1 large onion, chopped
路 3 cloves chopped garlic
路 1 tbsp oregano
路 1 tbsp ground cumin
路 6 tsn New Mexican red chile powder (or light/medium store-bought chili powder)
路 1 16-oz cans stewed tomatoes
. 1 can of Rotel tomatoes
. * 1/2 can of chicken broth
. * 1/2 can of beef broth
路 1 cup hot water
. 3+ tbsn masa harina (corn flour)
路 Salt to taste
. cayenne to taste

Brown the sausage, drain and remove from skillet... leaving the liquid in the pan.

Combine the beef, onion, and garlic to the skillet and sear until the meat is lightly browned (greyish, no pink showing).

Transfer this mixture to a large pot, add the remaining ingredients ---except the masa, water, salt, and cayenne pepper.
Bring to a boil for 10 minutes, stirring frequently so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.

Reduce the heat and simmer for about 2 hours stirring occasionally as needed.

Mix the masa and water with a whisk to a "thin pudding" consistency and add to the pot, stirring until it is completely absorbed, simmer 30 minutes.

Add salt and cayenne to taste and a tsp or so of extra chili powder as needed 10 minutes before serving to bring the flavors to life (the spices do tend to mellow out, so will make a difference) and give you a good fore and aftertaste.

If you really want it to thicken up more, and give a chance for all the flavors to blend completely, refridgerate the chili at this point overnight and reheat in the same pot the next day.

...and no, this is not a recipe for competitive chili. :)

Yield: 12 servings
Heat Scale: Medium

*the equivilant amount of beef and chicken bouillion can be substituted.

Coach, welcome to the forum. I am not a bean guy as per chili but your recipe sounds hot, blue and righteous. Can you fit one more in your crowd?
Cheers, TB.

Thanks TB!

...and yes sir, you are welcome at the fire anytime.

...and the beans are used when we have the entire herd over (5 adult kids and spouses/girlfriends, 8 grandkids, and always a couple of their friends show up)... so if i didn't use the filler, do chicken and brisket on the pit...i would have to double the recipe just to keep 'em outta my kitchen. ;)

If it's just the wife and i, no beans come close to the pot... and without realizing it we were already making something close to competition chili, so was an easy adaption .

This past weekend was my first forey into competitive chili and salsa, and used my own spice packets and hot sauce as part of my recipe.

...and since the wife had fun too...it looks like we're gonna do some traveling over the next few months and enter more cookoffs (till football season starts of course). :)

...2nd cookoff was at the 37th Annual Houston Pod and won a Wendell Rankin (i think i spelled that right) customized Coleman 3 burner stove so now feel like an "official" cook. ;)
...not sure if my chili is any good yet, but i'm still dancing a jig about getting it.

Back