• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Thai Hot Pepper My Bhut

i disagree on the cayenne thing. there are WAY too many "thai" varieties to call it a cayenne. i have bought and eaten both and the thai variety are usually alot skinnier than cayenne. cayenne also taste different.

It does kind of look like my Kung Pao. I'll have to take a look at the leaves tomorrow to be sure.

I should not say anything not knowing more about this, but Prik key nuu Hom is what it sounds like. Do the pods ponit up when small or do they point down.

If your looking for a name the Thai name is the best place to start. Then what is that in English. Chili shit rat sounds bad but the name shouldint change becouse of it. Chili point sky is hard to tell from Chili shit rat suan becouse it points up as well but is small most are 1/2 inch.. but the plant is 2 to 3 feet big. They are ones that look like that and grow down but I've got about 17 names the plant looks the same the chili tastes the same roughy. So are they different?

More info on my mystery Thai plant. I'm finally getting healthy ripe pods from it, so I'm posting a few pictures to see if it helps identify the bugger.

I'm ruling out Thai Dragon and thinking maybe it's Kung Pao or what chileman.org has listed as "Thai red."

Can anyone tell from these pictures? They're all pretty curvy, and all pretty long (6" or more) and all pretty "meaty". They're definitely longer and curvier than the Thai Dragon pictures I've seen. I also don't think it's Thai Phrik Khii Nuu or Thai Prik Sod Dang based on those pictures.

The plant is very big (biggest of my pepper plants) and very prolific (tons of green pods all over it.)

IMG_5890.jpg

IMG_5889.jpg

IMG_5888.jpg

IMG_5887.jpg

thai red pods grow upright & grow in little clusters of pods throughtout the plant
kung pao pods grow pendent (down) & tend to be longer than thai reds.

Without a doubt Kung Pao. I've been picking the same ones for over a month now and there is still green peppers on the plant. I blended some dehydrated ones up for chili spice last night. Good flavor.

That sounds right!

They're pendant (as opposed to upright-growing) pods, so I guess that rules out Thai Red. Kung Pao have medium heat? I've eaten a few and they seem pretty warm but not crazy hot. They lack the floral flavor of the thai bird chiles but are pretty tasty.

Coincidentally I just fired up a dehydrator last night and dried those four buggers out for flakes.

smariotti said:
That sounds right!

They're pendant (as opposed to upright-growing) pods, so I guess that rules out Thai Red. Kung Pao have medium heat? I've eaten a few and they seem pretty warm but not crazy hot. They lack the floral flavor of the thai bird chiles but are pretty tasty.

Coincidentally I just fired up a dehydrator last night and dried those four buggers out for flakes.

kung pao have medium heat, IMO yes but it all depends on each persons tolerance to chiles.

I know you've checked it off as not being a thai red, but for future reference if ya need it, plus I already took the pic & now want to show it :lol:
heres a thai red

DSCF3603.jpg

chilehunter said:
kung pao have medium heat, IMO yes but it all depends on each persons tolerance to chiles.

I know you've checked it off as not being a thai red, but for future reference if ya need it, plus I already took the pic & now want to show it :lol:
heres a thai red

DSCF3603.jpg

Nice looking plant!

Yeah, that's not like my plant at all. Bet those pods are tasty though!

Back