• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Catch of the Day

A lot of us here on THP like to cook with the chiles we grow, and quite a few also like to go out there and procure their own animal protein. I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread that looks to this aspect of cooking. If you like what you see and want to post a dish you made, feel free!

For ground rules... let's say that to post your recipe here you have to have harvested the meat in question yourself. Many of us who hunt and fish live in urban areas or don't get to go out as often as we'd wish, so I wouldn't put a time limit on how long ago you had to have caught it, and we're on the honor system here... I really don't want to get into finger-pointing games about whether or not somebody actually did or didn't get their own fish/game. Let's just give each other the benefit of the doubt and have a good time. Obviously, props to the people who also post pics of their animal "On The Hoof" and we'll drive on from there. Also, it's gotta be packing heat. This is The Hot Pepper after all.

I don't hunt myself. The cost of a gun permit here in Massachusetts is more than I can afford, and I prefer to fish anyway. I do like to shoot... I qualified expert in the Army and continue to target practice with an air rifle. I love game meat too. Quite a few of my family and friends hunt, and supply me with fur and feathers to tie flies to fish with, and occasionally with meat too. I live in the Connecticut River Valley about an hour's drive from the coast, and I like to fish in fresh and saltwater. Mostly fly tackle in freshwater unless I'm ice fishing, and mostly spinning tackle when fishing from the surf.

To get the ball rolling, Here's some pics of a few Bluefish I caught in Rhode Island this fall...
Blues10-7-12_zps79487eef.jpg

For those of you living down under, I understand these are called "Tailors" out your way.

Today I'm going to cook a Bluefish filet with Fresh Tomato Coulis and Saffron Rice.
SANY0284_zpsb1657398.jpg

First, I coarsely chop 2 cups of fresh ripe tomatoes, put them in a colander in the sink, sprinkle with a quarter tsp of salt and gently toss. Let drain for half an hour.
SANY0285_zps55210ed3.jpg

Peel and mince a small clove of garlic and a shallot. chop two tbsp of fresh cilantro and add 1 tbsp of good olive oil and 3 tbsp of red wine vinegar and stir together with the tomatoes.
SANY0287_zps45136c5d.jpg

Let the Coulis marinate at room temperature for half an hour or so, and start the rice and fish while that's going down.

For the rice, I put a cup of long grain white rice in a pot with a tbsp of light olive oil and cook together for a minute or so until the rice absorbs some of the oil and becomes translucent. While the rice is still hot I add a pinch of saffron.
SANY0291_zpsc1a6b198.jpg

Stir in a cup and a quarter of chicken stock, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered 20 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice finishes cooking. Stir in a quarter tsp garlic powder and a tbsp grated parmagiana.

While rice is cooking, rinse and pat dry with paper towel one bluefish filet. Cut a clove of garlic in half and rub the cut side against the filet on both sides. Discard the garlic clove. Rub the filet on both sides with light olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the filet with fresh lemon zest, and I also use a liberal coating of stc3248's smoked Manzano powder.
SANY0292_zpsead9d5ac.jpg

SANY0295_zps41cfee0e.jpg

Broil the fish for 8 minutes until it flakes easily.

Bon Appetite!
SANY0298_zps23535218.jpg

I was kidding as was he, look forward to posting more food! Back to the topic.
Ah, thanks... I didn't have a script and wasn't sure where it was going... Smack-talk's not unknown to me, but usually it's face-to-face where everybody can read the signals and know it's not serious. Carry on... ;)

Dang Rick, I'm going to have to try that Fresh Tomato Coulis with something pretty soon. Looks mighty tasty!
Hi Bill, Do you do any fishing with the kids?

What is Bluefish like? It looks moist and meaty....
Comparable to Rockfish maybe?

I caught a bluefish a while back, and had it for dinner. Yes, as previously stated, it is a bit fishy (and has larger scales!) However, I did a search, and decided to marinate my bluefish in milk as recommended (and lemon juice because that is what I would normally do.) There was a bit of a chemistry problem here... but it turned out alright. hehe. Then I prepared it on the grill as needed.

Kingfish or spanich mackerel relatives are what I might get sometimes too when I'm either fishing from the pier on a boat. Kingfish that are too big are not very good eating from what I hear, but the smaller ones just over the legal limit seem to be fine. I've never eaten 'smoker' kingfish so I can't really compare the two as of yet...

What I really want to try is a Cubera Snapper...

I've never soaked fish in milk before! What does it do? Tame the "fishiness"? Or is it more for texture?

I soak my chicken in buttermilk all the time, but I've been doing that for so long I kind of forgot why I do it!!!!!! :crazy:

I also mix milk with lemon or vinegar if I'm out of buttermilk - which is kind of what you ended up with! :)

I caught a bluefish a while back, and had it for dinner. Yes, as previously stated, it is a bit fishy (and has larger scales!) However, I did a search, and decided to marinate my bluefish in milk as recommended (and lemon juice because that is what I would normally do.) There was a bit of a chemistry problem here... but it turned out alright. hehe. Then I prepared it on the grill as needed.

Kingfish or spanich mackerel relatives are what I might get sometimes too when I'm either fishing from the pier on a boat. Kingfish that are too big are not very good eating from what I hear, but the smaller ones just over the legal limit seem to be fine. I've never eaten 'smoker' kingfish so I can't really compare the two as of yet...

What I really want to try is a Cubera Snapper...

Here's a rationale for soaking "fishy" tasting fish in milk. Also a few other tips... I've never heard of marinating fish in 7-up before... http://mike_esq.trip...gtips/id12.html

I looked up Cubera Snapper as I'd never heard of it before, either. They said that individuals of up to 36 pounds are common, but that the fishery is threatened and in decline due to commercial overfishing during spawning aggregations. The rest of the time they're spooky and hard to get to take the hook. Sounds a lot like Carp. I've hooked a few Carp but never managed to land any... The freshwater tippets I use are generally too light to hold them and I have the drag set too high. A few seconds after they take the hook... snap!

I've never soaked fish in milk before! What does it do? Tame the "fishiness"? Or is it more for texture?

I soak my chicken in buttermilk all the time, but I've been doing that for so long I kind of forgot why I do it!!!!!! :crazy:

I also mix milk with lemon or vinegar if I'm out of buttermilk - which is kind of what you ended up with! :)
I've never soaked fish in milk either. I don't mind the stronger-tasting fish for the most part, but I draw the line at saltwater Eels. I had broiled Eel at a Japanese restaurant once and it was too much for me. I ate it all since my brother-in-law was treating us and I didn't want to make him feel bad, but I'm not in an itching hurry to repeat the experience LOL!

From what I've read (and this is secondhand so take it for what it is,) soaking the fish in milk helps remove the salinity and perhaps blood residue other stuff. Supposedly it also firms up the meat a little.

I also read that with Bluefish, you are theoretically supposed to bleed the fish out and gut it as soon as you get it on the dock/in the boat. I believe this is to preserve meat taste or some such. You should also get it on ice as soon as possible from what I hear. The bluefish i caught wasn't on ice before I got home, because I didn't have any ice at the pier -_-, but it tasted ok when I cooked it-if I remember right. Not sure if I bled it then or not. Maybe if I ever catch a bluefish in the future, I'll try it and see what happens.

I looked up Cubera Snapper as I'd never heard of it before, either. They said that individuals of up to 36 pounds are common, but that the fishery is threatened and in decline due to commercial overfishing during spawning aggregations. The rest of the time they're spooky and hard to get to take the hook. Sounds a lot like Carp. I've hooked a few Carp but never managed to land any... The freshwater tippets I use are generally too light to hold them and I have the drag set too high. A few seconds after they take the hook... snap!
(
Lol, I hear the fish seems to spawn in shallower waters at only one time of the year-during the summer I think at full moon (if I read correctly.) Also, I read night seems to be a favorite time to take a crack at this elusive catch.

Oh, and I forgot about the frozen fish part in the article you read. I think I ran across that too. Maybe I'll have to try that sometime...

There's a lot of stuff put out there about how to keep Bluefish from getting strong-tasting and smelling, but mostly it just comes down to keeping it very cold after you bring it up. For Bluefish up to about 12 pounds, that's all you need. For the Alligator Blues, I filet them, skin the filets and cut out the maroon colored meat under the lateral line. That's the strongest tasting stuff, and there's not enough of it to bother with in the smaller fish. Those are what I call "Chicken Blues"...

I just noticed your tagline Chile Juju... So true!

I do both, but not right now. I did post some venison and some elk in other threads before this one got started. I will be posting here from time to time.

Rick great thread idea and awesome looking plates both Chris and Rick! Sooner or later I’ll have to contribute here. I mostly fish catch and release unless it’s something great to eat and don’t have any recent pictures of large catches. That said while it’s always been great fishing here where I live the last two seasons of offshore fishing have sucked big time, I’ve done better in my back yard river, heh.

BTW Rick the other day when I came in from surfing our inlet there were two guys fishing and the blues were running (cause cold front passing), they each had around 40 they caught on gator spoons. They only run here in their southward migration during the winter. While I sometimes fish the inlets for blues as well, I don’t keep that many, only enough for 1 or 2 meals and release the rest. So far this winter I've not gone blue fishing but in past years we've done as well on spoons, amazing how they hit anything and certainly a fun battle :)

Rick great thread idea and awesome looking plates both Chris and Rick! Sooner or later I’ll have to contribute here. I mostly fish catch and release unless it’s something great to eat and don’t have any recent pictures of large catches. That said while it’s always been great fishing here where I live the last two seasons of offshore fishing have sucked big time, I’ve done better in my back yard river, heh.

BTW Rick the other day when I came in from surfing our inlet there were two guys fishing and the blues were running (cause cold front passing), they each had around 40 they caught on gator spoons. They only run here in their southward migration during the winter. While I sometimes fish the inlets for blues as well, I don’t keep that many, only enough for 1 or 2 meals and release the rest. So far this winter I've not gone blue fishing but in past years we've done as well on spoons, amazing how they hit anything and certainly a fun battle :)
Oh yeah... but don't get your fingers anywhere near their mouths when taking out the hook...

I just can't let this one go, Stickman, I see you are from Greenfield, MA. AND you referred to yourself as a Yankee. Are you a Red Sox fan by chance? If you answer yes I will never let this go...

the hell with all yall yankees!

anyways 1.30 a.m. this morning wild boar took.
IMAG0579.jpg

tumblr_llqi3xNetO1qdz64io1_500.gif

tumblr_llqi3xNetO1qdz64io1_500.gif

he was only 212 pounds,phhf,phhf! think ill make some kinda sammy?

the hell with all yall yankees.

Oh Scovie... You remind me of the guys from the deep south I had in my unit in my army days... They'd say "Be proud you're a rebel 'cause the south's gonna do it again!", and I'd say "What... lose?"

he was only 212 pounds,phhf,phhf! think ill make some kinda sammy?

Cool! Bring on the Razorback Sammie! I'd like to see that...

Back