• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Catch of the Day

A lot of us here on THP like to cook with the chiles we grow, and quite a few also like to go out there and procure their own animal protein. I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread that looks to this aspect of cooking. If you like what you see and want to post a dish you made, feel free!

For ground rules... let's say that to post your recipe here you have to have harvested the meat in question yourself. Many of us who hunt and fish live in urban areas or don't get to go out as often as we'd wish, so I wouldn't put a time limit on how long ago you had to have caught it, and we're on the honor system here... I really don't want to get into finger-pointing games about whether or not somebody actually did or didn't get their own fish/game. Let's just give each other the benefit of the doubt and have a good time. Obviously, props to the people who also post pics of their animal "On The Hoof" and we'll drive on from there. Also, it's gotta be packing heat. This is The Hot Pepper after all.

I don't hunt myself. The cost of a gun permit here in Massachusetts is more than I can afford, and I prefer to fish anyway. I do like to shoot... I qualified expert in the Army and continue to target practice with an air rifle. I love game meat too. Quite a few of my family and friends hunt, and supply me with fur and feathers to tie flies to fish with, and occasionally with meat too. I live in the Connecticut River Valley about an hour's drive from the coast, and I like to fish in fresh and saltwater. Mostly fly tackle in freshwater unless I'm ice fishing, and mostly spinning tackle when fishing from the surf.

To get the ball rolling, Here's some pics of a few Bluefish I caught in Rhode Island this fall...
Blues10-7-12_zps79487eef.jpg

For those of you living down under, I understand these are called "Tailors" out your way.

Today I'm going to cook a Bluefish filet with Fresh Tomato Coulis and Saffron Rice.
SANY0284_zpsb1657398.jpg

First, I coarsely chop 2 cups of fresh ripe tomatoes, put them in a colander in the sink, sprinkle with a quarter tsp of salt and gently toss. Let drain for half an hour.
SANY0285_zps55210ed3.jpg

Peel and mince a small clove of garlic and a shallot. chop two tbsp of fresh cilantro and add 1 tbsp of good olive oil and 3 tbsp of red wine vinegar and stir together with the tomatoes.
SANY0287_zps45136c5d.jpg

Let the Coulis marinate at room temperature for half an hour or so, and start the rice and fish while that's going down.

For the rice, I put a cup of long grain white rice in a pot with a tbsp of light olive oil and cook together for a minute or so until the rice absorbs some of the oil and becomes translucent. While the rice is still hot I add a pinch of saffron.
SANY0291_zpsc1a6b198.jpg

Stir in a cup and a quarter of chicken stock, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered 20 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice finishes cooking. Stir in a quarter tsp garlic powder and a tbsp grated parmagiana.

While rice is cooking, rinse and pat dry with paper towel one bluefish filet. Cut a clove of garlic in half and rub the cut side against the filet on both sides. Discard the garlic clove. Rub the filet on both sides with light olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the filet with fresh lemon zest, and I also use a liberal coating of stc3248's smoked Manzano powder.
SANY0292_zpsead9d5ac.jpg

SANY0295_zps41cfee0e.jpg

Broil the fish for 8 minutes until it flakes easily.

Bon Appetite!
SANY0298_zps23535218.jpg

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????scovie?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

for real why are you quoting me and calling me scovie? that dude is a dick,im cool!!!!!!!

Heh... Once I came back inside after shoveling out around the car and rubbed the snow out of my eyes, I see you're right... Sorry, wrong cracker... ;)

... I am one of the few that does not mind the gamey taste and it was seasoned with salt, pepper and wrapped in bacon only.
First off the money shot is very nice and great presentation. Second, I agree with you on gamey taste, I like chicken & meat with a gamey taste as well. Come to think of it, I like my women gamey too, lol ;)

That looks delicious! Surprisingly, I have never wrapped tenderloin in bacon. Gonna have to try that.

Holy shit! YOu crazy pig stabbin fool. That boar burger looks GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Got dam

Was it runnin around on the farm or what? Thats freakin cool. How does boar flavor differ then farm raised pig? I'd imagine gamey as they say.

Sicman is a spearchucker. Who knew? :lol: I'd maw on that sandwich for a while. That apple butter is fantastic. You can keep the egg though.

I never had a Pig cooked with apples that I didn't like! I know people who roast wild Turkey with a couple of split apples in the cavity to add moisture and draw out the gamy taste. I'd bard the breast with strips of bacon so it could be self-basting as well.

Back