• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The curled leaves thing.....again

I saw that stuff at Bunnings today. Judging by the name of the active ingredient (Omethoate), I am *assuming* it's pretty similar to Rogor (Dimethoate). (Based on the active ingredients sounding the same :lol:)

If so, it *should* do the trick. A good Rogoring usually takes care of them for a month or two for me, but as my environment is infested with them, they always return. :(

I saw this Sulfur stuff at Bunnings too while I was there which I have yet to try and may be worth a shot. I try to alternate different treatments as I don't want the buggers growing resistance to anything I use—even though they probably will anyway. :\

2011-10-11_16-00-55_50.jpg

Gas... Does that look like mite damage? I had serious leaf curl and mutant leaves like this. My season is well over. I treated plants with calmag throughout
the summer to no avail. I'm guessing it was mites. These things are not even fair. I was on my back and knees all year looking for pests. My question to you is this.... Will they die over winter? We typically have 6 months of winter here. Close to 3 months of that are 0° temps and 10" snow storms.

Gas... Does that look like mite damage? I had serious leaf curl and mutant leaves like this. My season is well over. I treated plants with calmag throughout
the summer to no avail. I'm guessing it was mites. These things are not even fair. I was on my back and knees all year looking for pests. My question to you is this.... Will they die over winter? We typically have 6 months of winter here. Close to 3 months of that are 0° temps and 10" snow storms.
It's hard to say with only one leaf to look at. :P

Do you have any shots of the affected plants themselves? That might seriously help with a diagnosis. ;)

Apart from the slight malformation—which does just happen sometimes for various reasons—and the spot—bacterial? burn?—the leaf looks normal enough to me. Keep in mind I am no expert on most things concerning plants though.

When it comes to mites, different ones affect/damage plants in different ways. Broad mites in particular inject a toxin as they feed and cause a distinct hardening and claw-like curling of the leaves. They feed mostly on the new growth of plants—which is where you will first notice the signs of their presence—but once in the system, the toxin does spread and can affect the rest of the plant.

The very first sign of broad mite is a slight discolouration of new growth and usually within 24 hours the affected growth will start to curl:

IMG_3767.jpg

IMG_3761.jpg

Then after a few more days:

IMG_4620.jpg

And if the mite numbers are high enough, the whole plant can be affected due to the toxin in the system:

IMG_4518.jpg

In answer to your question—Does it look like mite damage?—I would say, no. Well, at least not broad mite damage. :)

Was a nice warm day yesterday, so i sprayed again. Of course it not only rained but got some small hail too.....will try a 3 rd time today.

On the + side, new leaves are popping up from the cut-back & they look normal

I have a pretty bad mite problem right now too. A lot of my plants have curled new growth and look a lot like the first couple pictures. A couple plants ae worse and look like the last couple pictures. I hit them twice with AzaMax . but am worried it might not work on these bastards. I'm gonna keep a close eye on them, but I might have to get some more potent chemical miticide.

I have a pretty bad mite problem right now too. A lot of my plants have curled new growth and look a lot like the first couple pictures. A couple plants ae worse and look like the last couple pictures. I hit them twice with AzaMax . but am worried it might not work on these bastards. I'm gonna keep a close eye on them, but I might have to get some more potent chemical miticide.
That sucks, man. :(

In all honesty, I sometimes wonder if the choice in treatment is really the problem at all. They say broad mites have a high resistance to most treatments (esp. the natural/safer treatments) but sometimes I really do wonder if that is just misinformation of sorts that came about due to the fact that broad mite toxin can still continue to damage a plant even after successful eradication of the mite itself (thus making it *look* very likely that the treatment failed). That's just something I've been pondering anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if successful eradication depended more upon where the bloody things came from as opposed to what treatment was/is being used. As with any pest I guess, if they came in on an introduced plant and haven't really had a chance to colonize—at least on a large scale—your chances of eradicating them are far FAR higher than if they are already in your environment.

Gas... Incredible camera you have ;) Wish mine could zoom like that. I will look and see if I have any other pics or take some new ones. Spot on that leaf is probably because we have had weeks of rain. My plants are done. Been too lazy to rip them out. Lows in the 20°s F this week. My plants never looked as bad as the pics you posted. Found a couple red spider mites that might have caused the issue.

Gas... Incredible camera you have ;) Wish mine could zoom like that. I will look and see if I have any other pics or take some new ones. Spot on that leaf is probably because we have had weeks of rain. My plants are done. Been too lazy to rip them out. Lows in the 20°s F this week. My plants never looked as bad as the pics you posted. Found a couple red spider mites that might have caused the issue.
Noooooo, it's not my pic—I found it on the nets. ;) (Damn wish I had a camera that could zoom like that though!)

Yeah, spider mites can be a bitch too. I had a small problem with the buggers a couple years back but thankfully was able to take care of 'em eventually. Don't get me wrong, spider mites are still nasty NASTY little things than certainly can cause a great deal of damage, but it's A LOT easier to fight something you can see and that only sucks the life outta a plant—not poisons the hell outta of it as well!

It really is funny... at the time I had spider mites, I thought there couldn't possibly be anything worse than 'em. Now I sometimes wonder if there's anything worse than broad mites.... :shocked:

my plant has been looking much better None of the older/larger leaves have had any damage & just a few of the newer growth is turning curly ( i pick it off, bag & bin it) I'll post some info tomorrow of what I've been using so far.

Tomorrow I'll start Plan B & see if I can get rid of the last of them & boost the new growth a bit.

So I used 4 products in all. A spray bottle with Neem, Kocide Blue Extra (Garden Fungicide by Multicrop) & Yates (Insect & Mite Killer)

Gave it 3 good soakings with the spray over 12 days. Picked off any curled leaves twice a day & bagged & binned them. After 12 days I hit the plant with a good dose of Seasol to boost the new growth.

26102011122.jpg

The old leaves have taken a turn for the worse but the new growth appears to be curl free

The plant has pods dripping from it....this is going to turn out o.k :)

THP is the best , I had this problem in S.Aust last year , could not discover what the problem was . Sent samples to the DPI . they sent them off to DPI in QLD with the thought it may have been tomato leaf curl virus , unknown in S.Aust and the reply came back hormonal damage probably due to herbicide exposure.

That was impossible so it was a write off and destroyed all plants. dug them up , poured petrol on them and set them on fire.

I seem to be free of them this year . hopefully they can not over winter here in the cold as we get down to 0c at times .

Although after reading this thread the Rogor is coming out tomorrow in the hopes of if there are a few strays they will die as few strays.

Thanks again all for this useful post , THP solved it when the gvnt ag dept didnt have a clue . I would have presumed the Qld arm that did the testing would have seen this again and again but not so

Back