• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The curled leaves thing.....again

There is method in the madness...the neem & the Insect & Mite Killer is to kill anything that is bringing them in as passengers...Kocide Blue Xtra fungicide is specifically for Black spot & Leaf curl ( it contains Copper present as Cupric Hydroxide)

...i'm figuring they get in via other bugs & whatever they do to the new leaves is causing a fungus to grow that curls the leaves.

So i haven't attacked the broad mite at all, just taken out its supply lines. The seasol is to help the plant recover.

well its been nearly 3 weeks. All the old damaged leaves have fallen off - new growth is booming & no sign of a curled leaf anywhere

Are these mites?

Growing these bhut jolokias from seed since august. had some problems with iguanas eating the leaves. Now the curl leaves. There are some flies on them but not to many. I believe there already some pods on them :). What sould i do? I live in Barranquilla, Colombia. Temp 30°C all year. Rained heavily during october-november. Feeding plants with 15-15-15 and lots of sun.

11s1lzn.jpg

10wt8vd.jpg

250i68y.jpg

Unfold the leaf and look behind it. There will be a slight redy-brown stain from the mites. Look very close (hold it up to the light) and you may be able to see the tiny buggers.

Mix up some lime sulphur and cover the leaves intil there till its dripping. All my plants get this from time to time and Lime Sulphur nips it in the bud - plants spring back in a few weeks

Unfold the leaf and look behind it. There will be a slight redy-brown stain from the mites. Look very close (hold it up to the light) and you may be able to see the tiny buggers.

Mix up some lime sulphur and cover the leaves intil there till its dripping. All my plants get this from time to time and Lime Sulphur nips it in the bud - plants spring back in a few weeks

I'll try that!. thanks.

No doubt about it, it's mite. As Daz suggests, spraying with sulfur should help. Depending on how bad the infestation is, a few repeat applications will more than likely be necessary. Probably a good idea to snip the damaged growth too. It will help take care of some of their eggs and stop the mite's toxin from spreading further through the plant.

No doubt about it, it's mite. As Daz suggests, spraying with sulfur should help. Depending on how bad the infestation is, a few repeat applications will more than likely be necessary. Probably a good idea to snip the damaged growth too. It will help take care of some of their eggs and stop the mite's toxin from spreading further through the plant.

Didn't find any lime sulphur, just plain sulphur (powder). can i apply it in power form? how many times and how often?

thks.

Never actually used the powder form myself but I've heard it's still effective.

Is it marketed as a garden product? If so, I would just follow the instructions on the pack.

If not, do you know if it's "wettable" sulfur? I think that stuff is fine to both mix with water or use in it's powder form (although I couldn't tell you at what rate). If you do use it in it's plain powder form, I would just lightly "dust" the leaves (both top and bottom sides).

On Saturday I sprayed the plants with soap hoping it would do something in the meantime, and also snipped all damaged leaves.

Update:
Finally got what I think is lime sulphur. Though the translation from spanish is tricky..something like calcium sulfate or something and three other sulphur compounds. It was on the gardening shelves of a hardware store so I got it. diluted 4 tablespoons on 1.5 lt water ansd sprayed this morning 5am. (Damn plants, I never get up this early). It says on the bottle that i have to repeat for three more times every 8 days. I love the smell by the way, people are looking at me funny at work, jajajaa.

Curling usually means theyre cold

xo nicole

I Don't think that's my case. We have an average 30°C / 86°F all year round. Also tried everything else: more water, less mater, more sun, less sun, more fert, less fert. Let's hope with this sulhphur I can stop it.

Thanks!
btw, you're pretty :)

well nothing like reviving old threads!!!!

I want to thank you guys, this seems to be my culprit as well...

bentalphanerd said:

There is method in the madness...the neem & the Insect & Mite Killer is to kill anything that is bringing them in as passengers...Kocide Blue Xtra fungicide is specifically for Black spot & Leaf curl ( it contains Copper present as Cupric Hydroxide)

...i'm figuring they get in via other bugs & whatever they do to the new leaves is causing a fungus to grow that curls the leaves.

So i haven't attacked the broad mite at all, just taken out its supply lines. The seasol is to help the plant recover.

Sooooo.......I seem to have this same issue
What did you end up killing them with?

Hot Head said:
well nothing like reviving old threads!!!!

I want to thank you guys, this seems to be my culprit as well...

Sooooo.......I seem to have this same issue
What did you end up killing them with?

hot water dunk! 

broad mite is the one and only pest you DONT want to mess about with, it's very important that you get a positive ID with a loupe and you treat ALL affected plants. Just a small number of broad mites can write off a plant's whole yield, seriously. 

This was my blog about them last year
http://chilli-grower.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/a-brush-with-broad-mites-most-evil.html

and a bit extra on how I managed to get rid of them and havent seen a single one since
http://chilli-grower.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/i-beat-broad-mites-without-pesticide-in.html

Someone else (cant remember who) had them earlier this season just a couple months ago and sprayed with something, perhaps you can ask them if it worked, I'll try and find the post. 

Yep I'm about to beat the dead horse again,

AACT wipes mites out in no time flat. I have seen it happen and I challenge you guys to try it before you dismiss it for hippydippy folk lore.
NO joke, mites are easy to get rid of with AACT.

I don't want to here any doubters unless they have tried it!

If we can't beat dead horses, we're going to run out of pate cheval pretty quick :P

I've seen mites flourish in a facility regularily sprayed with tea, but there were a lot of factors going on at the same time and it could be biased one way or the other.

Broad mites are a totally different beast from the run of the mill two-spot though. I've read of hot water dunks, but I think raising the air temperature is a much safer way to achieve the same end (no massive leaf drop), and much less labourous.

miguelovic said:
If we can't beat dead horses, we're going to run out of pate cheval pretty quick :P

I've seen mites flourish in a facility regularily sprayed with tea, but there were a lot of factors going on at the same time and it could be biased one way or the other.

Broad mites are a totally different beast from the run of the mill two-spot though. I've read of hot water dunks, but I think raising the air temperature is a much safer way to achieve the same end (no massive leaf drop), and much less labourous.

Make a bucket and try it on a small normal grow and test it and stop trolling my posts. I have seen it work on mites and aphids if applied weekly 3-4 times. You post lots of anti AACT bs and yet is is always about large comercial grows and without telling us how or what you put in it. I know AACT is not a cure all but it is the closest thing to one that I have seen.

I now this because of 3 years straight using it and watching infested "bonnie" plants turn in to healthy picture perfect plants.

So again

I don't want to here any doubters unless they have tried it! on hobby  sized grows

miguelovic why don't you try it on a smaller more controllable scale and stop trolling my posts. I have seen nothing indicating you have done it other than your "word"

So once again

hey I seem to have a similar problem...

with my buth j.
broadmites1.jpg

and my fatalli which almost doesnt grow except for newly formed branches below...
broadmites2.jpg

them both had this curled upper leaves the day I bought them ...
what do you think .. not good a? :mope:

Back