• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The G Challenge

Here we go!

This is a challenge inspired by the TD's and some random comments on various threads. What if some of my favorite "chefs" from this site went head-to-head in a little challenge? And what if they couldn't use some of their go-to items? So here it is:

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]A meal - appetizer and entrée with optional sides. No bacon, no cheese, no hot dogs, no spam, and NO BP. But before you go thinking "that's easy, just leave out BP"... no. This isn't just about leaving it out, but about using alternatives, gettin' down in yo spice cabinets.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]And yet another twist: Unlike TD's where no one gets to taste any of the creations, this will give the rest of us po folks a couple weeks to recreate the dishes and then vote after the cooking is done. That means they're going to have to give us an idea of quantities, too.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]How is this the G Challenge if I'm not cooking? Heh. I issue the challenge and set the rules! (Bwahahahaha!)[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I've invited SumOfMyBits, JayT, frydad4, and Deathtosnails to be "chefs" for this challenge. They have this weekend and next to cook and post pics and recipes. YOU who follow this thread will then have a couple weeks over which you can recreate their dishes and then vote. (Poll to come.) [/background]

Our four challengers are up for the game and ready to go - BRING IT!

EDIT:

If you've been watching this, and/or want to join in the voting phase, go ahead and start cooking. I've started the dishes SumOfMyBits made for tonight's dinner, and plan on doing DeathToSnails' dish later this week - these look REALLY good and I can't wait to try them! You'll have a few weekends to cook, and I'll open up voting near the end.

Appetizer:

Scallop Ceviche

1/4# Sea Scallops, rough chopped into ~ 1/2"+ cubes. (This stuff is sticky. Don't worry about appearence.) Toss this in a mixing bowl.
Juice 2 lemons and pour juice over chopped scallops along with:
1 Cup orange juice.
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp Kosher salt
and let the flavors marry while you prep and toss into the mix:
2 roma tomatoes diced
1/4 cucumber skinned and diced
~1/8 cup green onion
~3/4 Cup sweet onion
3 fresh serranos 1/8" sliced w/seeds (I actually used 3 canned serranos [with carrots] since I couldn't find fresh... if you REALLY want to taste what I made.)

Stir this up till well mixed, cover and place in refrig for at least an hour. Stir occasionally, making sure each time the ingredients are under the liquid. (This ceviche marinated for at least two hours.)

Rough chop some cilantro to stir in right before serving. Done.

IMG_5229.jpg

IMG_5233.jpg

You can add more sea scallops if you like. They are very mild in flavor in this ceviche.

This recipe works for five people as an appetizer.

Entree:

Beef and Rice Stuffed Grape Leaves (Dolmathakia...) with Cucumber Tzatziki Sauce

This is a Greek dish. Basically ground beef mixed with rice and a bunch of spices.

Here's how you do it.

1/2 cup long grain white rice / 1 cup water, cook and add to...

1.5 pounds of 90/10 ground beef tossed in a mixing bowl to be mixed with:
1 Tbsp of dried oregano
1 Tbsp Herbs de Provence
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dill
1 tsp cayenne
2 tsp Kosher salt

Let the flavors marinate in the refridgerator while you sort out the grape leaves. Ripped and small leaves go in one pile. The rest are used for stuffing.

IMG_5221.jpg

Take ~ 1 Tbsp of beef mixture and place on leaf.

IMG_5225.jpg

Tuck bottom of leaf over mixture and wrap it like a burrito.

IMG_5226.jpg

Here is where things can deviate. I made a bed of small and torn leaves on the bottom of the pot to keep the stuffed leaves from being burnt. (You can easily substitute a pasta pot w/ strainer, forget about the layer of leaves, and make things MUCH simpler.) Layer some thin slices of tomato, lemon, and onion over them before you start the next layer. Repeat.
[I used a large pot for brewing beer. I wasn't sure how much I was going to make. These pictures can be deceiving.)

IMG_5224.jpg

Fill with water until everything is covered. Use your judgement on the water... this will evaporate during cooking. I go for about 1/2" over everything. Place a plate on top of everything (if you can) to keep everything submerged.

IMG_5227.jpg

Bring to boiling, then reduce temp to ~ medium and let simmer/boil for two hours. (At least two hours. Grape leaves are similar to collards in this respect.)

While this is happening... make some tzatziki sauce.

Tzatziki sauce:

16oz Greek yogurt
~ 1 cup diced cucumber
2 tsp dill
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Kosher salt
3 Tbsp olive oil

mix, cover, and toss in fridge.

(I like my Tzatziki sauce thick, but it can certainly be thinned out by adding water.)

IMG_5228.jpg

When the stuffed leaves are done, drain and strain. Plate with some of the tomatoes they were boiled with. Top with Tzatziki and roll it all in that stuff.

IMG_5238.jpg

I forgot to add the greek peppers to this dish. I was thinking of using them in the Tzatziki sauce chopped fine, or just left whole on the side. No excuses, but things got me feeling a little pressured to finish ASAP when 9pm rolled around... and I was cooking for others who have never witnessed a TD before. (Another story.)

I also like to dash on a bunch of Texas Pete hot vinegar on this stuff. Cooking for non-chiliheads can be challenging.

BTW, I would certainly advise two things here...

1) Locate and purchase grape leaves several days before. Do NOT wait until the day of.

2) Serve the ceviche an hour before the entree, consume some drinks and carry on with some casual conversation as a palate cleanser. That stuff is pretty awesome.

:woohoo:
WOW! WOW!

Very impressive! I really like ceviche and I really like stuffed grape leaves. Hmmm.... do you know if they carry them at the hippy food store? I am really looking forward to giving this a try!

The Publix by FD's house used to stock them... not anymore. I shopped at a different Publix (first) and they didn't have them either. When asked where I could find them, they said, "try Whole Foods." Never looked. Ended up hitting a Greek deli/grocery. Set me back 2 hours trying to find those things.

Yup. Jump on the horn and give your local grocer a ring. If they have no idea what you're talking about, call up your friends. If you know someone Greek... call them up first.

Well, there's a Greek restaurant that may know where I can get some if the hippy food place doesn't carry them. We'll see - you know what I'll be hunting for this weekend!

Ah - just found a Greek grocer on the other side of town if nothing else..... good thing I enjoy driving!

Boom, the stuffed grape leaves are labo(u)r intensive. Good stuff, but the ceviche is WAY easier. Make it with 1/2 pound of scallops (not 1/4#) and fresh serranos. I might shoot myself in the foot with this comment, but adding things that aren't fresh to ceviche is almost a sin. Don't get me wrong, it was still some REALLY great stuff, but I would have rather had it fresh. ... Damn grape leaf bamboozlement got the better of me this time.

And I'm not talking about the dried spices. They're fine. I'm talking about the real "meat" of the thing. Those pickled serranos are like throwing capers in ceviche. Nothing wrong with it... but it's walking a very fine line.

Agree completely, summer. Ceviche really is about fresh. I figure with the grape leaves that if everyone who eats gets involved with wrapping them, it should go fairly quickly. Kind of like peeling shrimps.... such a PITA, but worth it!

And hmmm.... have you tried parboiling the leaves before wrapping the meat, so the meat doesn't cook the full 2 hours? Not sure if it would make wrapping easier or harder - I can see where it could go either way.

Sum, did you soak your grape leaves before using them? We do alot of stuffed grape leaves in Lebaneese food and the ones we get come in a brine and have to be soaked for several hours before using. Looks really, and I mean really, good Bro!

Sum, did you soak your grape leaves before using them? We do alot of stuffed grape leaves in Lebaneese food and the ones we get come in a brine and have to be soaked for several hours before using. Looks really, and I mean really, good Bro!

Not soaked. Pulled out of the jar, sorted and de-stemmed, rinsed and then rolled. I don't salt my boiling water, so some of the brine leaches out during the 2 hour process. And the leaves I use are not in a heavy brine to begin with. Parboiling adds too much to the process. You'd have to add time to let them cool just so you can handle them in the wrapping process. In this instance, time was a factor. Plus, I can imagine if you parboiled long enough, you'd risk ripping a LOT of leaves... making them useless for this application. I am not a grape leaf guru. I'm sure there are a lot of methods out there. I've heard some people blanch them as well. I'd love to be enlightened to further my grape leaf prowess.

Sum and I have used those exact grape leaves before with great success. Nice job bro, I know those were awesome.
They are already brined and quite pliable.
Sometimes I like to throw rice and/or lentils in with the meat mixture too. Great stuff.
Boiling it with the tomatoes, onions, and lemons is a MUST!! Did you use broth too? I like to throw some chicken or beef stock in with the boil.

Great looking TZiki too.
Damn, wish I didn't miss out on that one!

BTW, could have used a fresh scotch bonnet or fatali on the ceviche, but I know the crowd you were cooking for. They wouldn't have appreciated it!
(more for you!)

Nice job. I hope to cook mine tomorrow. I have a cool idea I can't wait to try.

Back