• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The G Challenge

Here we go!

This is a challenge inspired by the TD's and some random comments on various threads. What if some of my favorite "chefs" from this site went head-to-head in a little challenge? And what if they couldn't use some of their go-to items? So here it is:

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]A meal - appetizer and entrée with optional sides. No bacon, no cheese, no hot dogs, no spam, and NO BP. But before you go thinking "that's easy, just leave out BP"... no. This isn't just about leaving it out, but about using alternatives, gettin' down in yo spice cabinets.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]And yet another twist: Unlike TD's where no one gets to taste any of the creations, this will give the rest of us po folks a couple weeks to recreate the dishes and then vote after the cooking is done. That means they're going to have to give us an idea of quantities, too.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]How is this the G Challenge if I'm not cooking? Heh. I issue the challenge and set the rules! (Bwahahahaha!)[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I've invited SumOfMyBits, JayT, frydad4, and Deathtosnails to be "chefs" for this challenge. They have this weekend and next to cook and post pics and recipes. YOU who follow this thread will then have a couple weeks over which you can recreate their dishes and then vote. (Poll to come.) [/background]

Our four challengers are up for the game and ready to go - BRING IT!

EDIT:

If you've been watching this, and/or want to join in the voting phase, go ahead and start cooking. I've started the dishes SumOfMyBits made for tonight's dinner, and plan on doing DeathToSnails' dish later this week - these look REALLY good and I can't wait to try them! You'll have a few weekends to cook, and I'll open up voting near the end.

Sum, your app and entree look and sound delicious, and very do-able. It's been a long time since we've had cebiche.....that's just the inspiration to get it going. I can understand how you feel about using the fresh chiles instead of the canned ones, but sometimes...doo-doo occurs~~~

D2S- Thanks A WHOLE FREAKING LOT, DUDE! I saw that pic with the brown crusty bits on the perfectly roasted lamb, and I bit a corner off my laptop display trying to get at it!

Not really...but I was SERIOUSLY TEMPTED!!!!!

Frydad's Weird Ass G-Down

It's been a crazy couple of days. Probably not the best timing.
Had about 60 people at my house today for a spiderman birthday party (not for me...)

When all the chaos subsided, I made my appetizer, roasted nuts. (pecans) and beer.
Also, I made a mustard pulled pork, stuffed into a cooked artichoke, topped with poppy-dill-red cabbage slaw.
Good stuff!! Strange, but good.

The key to the mustard pork is the sauce. I make mine without measurements.
Today, I used 9 oz. yellow mustard
1/4 C vinegar, 1/4 C chili powder (I use Scovies, it's great!)
1/2 C water, 1/4 t Coarse Salt.
Motorboat that all together. It's supposed to be quite thin.

I pour 80% of the sauce on top of a half-picnic shoulder (cheap pork), and throw it in the pressure cooker for an hour or so, until it falls apart.
You can use the slow cooker.

The slaw is red cabbage, VERY thinly sliced, topped with 1/4 C mayo, 1/4 C good italian dressing, 1 T dill, 1 T poppy seeds, 1 t cayenne powder.
Mix, blend, toss, set aside.

Boil an artichoke until tender, hollow out the middle, and stuff with pork, and top with slaw.
Use the remaining mustard sauce, mix with butter, and serve as a dipping sauce.

The roasted nuts are AMAZING!!
We don't really measure it, but here's the best I can figure.
Take a 9 inch square pyrex dish. Place in half a stick of butter.
To that, add about 1/4 C Werstershersterchistershire sauce (enough to cover the bottom)
Sprinkle enough garlic powder to cover all of that.
Add a liberal amount of hot sauce (I use Franks-style)
Place it in a 350 oven to melt.
When it is all liquidy, toss your nuts in it (not that, scovie...not that!)
Roast at 350 for about 15 minutes, or so, but be careful not to burn it.
They will be dark, that's ok. That's just the W-sauce doing it's thang.
Serve with beer.

This was good!

My Nuts
IMGP2809.jpg

My Meat
IMGP2808.jpg

Artichoke, hollered out
IMGP2810.jpg

Appetizer
IMGP2817.jpg

ArtiQue
IMGP2812.jpg

Money!
IMGP2814.jpg

This was a strange combination, but it worked.
Especially with beer!

Good times, G. Thanks for the challenge!

NO BLACK PEPPER!!!! (or bacon or cheese!)

Yo mama,
FD

G~ when do you cut off the participants' editing priviledges, cuz for those of us who've read MANY of FD4's posts, it definitely reads as ......"after a long day....yadayadayada...pics...beer...."...zonk out!

Frydaddy, we've all been there....take the rest of the night off! xoxo

for those of us who've read MANY of FD4's posts, it definitely reads as ......"after a long day"

I won't get into it...just trust!
There's a lot going on in the FD world.
Good stuff, but busy stuff.
As a mom, you get it...mine are 4 and 7

And It's football season...

yes, amigo.... :cool: busy, busy, busy~

wondering whereJayT is at? ??????????

Wow FD - very creative. I like pulled pork and artichoke, so am looking forward to making these. Unfortunately, though, I have yet to find a fresh banana leaf here! ;)

JayT said he'll be cooking and posting today.

JayT said he'll be cooking and posting today.

Well, I have half of it... I didn't get home from work until 7:30 and the family had already eaten, so its only the app tonight. The entree will be tomorrow for sure. I am doing all the prep tonight so it only needs to bake tomorrow.

I am going with a seafood theme for this G Challenge. Tonight, for the appetizer I made Surf and Turf Kabobs. Kinda, bbq, kinda, Mediterranean, who knows what the hell it is. I know it is good! Ingredients: lobster tail, some cubed NY Strip, and some sliced/chunked sweet onion and bell pepper. The marinade for the kabobs is simply olive oil, a little lemon juice, and pepper powder. I used a blend I made with a whole range of heat levels and flavors also including some mesquite powder. You can use any you like. After they are on the skewers, they go onto the medium high grill. A couple minutes per side with a generous basting of tarragon, lemon butter, and they are finished.

1000858a.jpg

1000859x.jpg

1000860a.jpg

1000861o.jpg

1000862r.jpg

1000863y.jpg

1000868v.jpg

1000871b.jpg

1000872n.jpg

saw lamb at the market today............ was SOOOOOOO tempted, but didn't pull the trigger........ :(

Well, pull it pretty soon.... Just waiting for JayT to post his final entry, then will announce the voter's cooking phase - but nothing stopping you from getting started cooking now!

Ok, with a little interruption of the birth of my second son, I have my final entry. This is called Seafood Wellington. It is puff pastry stuffed with sauteed scallops, shrimp, and Red Snapper. They were sauteed in lemon, and white wine, The puff pastry was then brushed with egg wash and baked. I also made a basil cream sauce to go with over top. It was served with a tri-colored pasta with olive oil, sundried tomatoes, black olives, roasted red pepper, and garlic.

1000874w.jpg

1000875di.jpg

1000876r.jpg

1000877e.jpg

1000878e.jpg

1000879z.jpg

1000880g.jpg

1000881t.jpg

Looks great, J!

Wish you used gulf pinks for the shrimps, but I know your busy.
I love anything in puff pastry!
Good call with the creamy stuff there. Nice job

Doin' FD's this weekend, since I can slap the pork in the slow cooker - not a lot of cooking time available this weekend. Looking forward to it!

And.... ehem.... new baby aside, JayT - where's da recipes????? ;)

Back