• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Great Kiwi Pepper Thread

It is pretty cool I had a chance to be on the flaming flora videos.  Hopefully Sentencedtoburn does an NZ tour to break in the 253 and a few further afield guest appearances shake out:)

How were your burgandys other than the colour?  I haven't grown them but the reviews make them sound really appealing.  

I'm stoked, my NuMex Twilight X Reaper and NuMex Twilight X Yellow Fatalii have actually set! So hopefully I'll get the seeds by say.. early May. Then I guess might get to see what F2 fruit looks like by end of this year.

Yellow Fatalii female donor:
2015_02_09_12_41_38.jpg

Reaper female donor:
2015_02_09_12_40_57.jpg

Robisburning said:
It is pretty cool I had a chance to be on the flaming flora videos.  Hopefully Sentencedtoburn does an NZ tour to break in the 253 and a few further afield guest appearances shake out:)

How were your burgandys other than the colour?  I haven't grown them but the reviews make them sound really appealing.  
Yeah mine were a little underwhelming taste wise, best described as grassy cucumber taste kind of like a green bell peper sort of.. very juicy, big and rather hot. It was a plant that was seldom fertilized and seldom cared for and eventually died from frost or neglect. Would like to try grow legit burgundy again and compare to recent reviews out of interest as its probably not what i had. but hey i have a big wish list and only a small amount of usable space!

Im starting to have more peppers then i know what to do with...will need to give some away to people at work or something.
Heres a few I picked yesterday
image_zpscd344a8e.jpg

I decided to try something with one of the turbo pubes...I cut it in half, removed the seeds, filled it with cheese then wrapped it in bacon  :P
image_zps2e691262.jpg

image_zpsc5914199.jpg

It turned out pretty decent. It may have been better to bake it or something though. The pepper in the middle could have done with being cooked a little bit more
image_zps1c6b01bc.jpg

Hey Rob, this is the brown moruga you gave me..pods are really huge. Some are moruga looking, and some of the small one moreso than pictured. So there is hope! Will need to catch up soon when some of my nasty peppers are ready. And ill give you that turbo pube :)
image_zps3a28119a.jpg

brain strain is doing pretty good...looking forward to this one
image_zps24ec3177.jpg

SentencedToBurn said:
Nice work dude! I freeze mine, and dry them out in a dehydrator. That way I have them throughout winter too.
Yea i need to get a dehydrator.
I currently have plates all over the place drying them out..problem is exaggerated because each type of pepper needs its own plate lol. So i end up with lots of plates sitting around for several weeks while they dry

I like freezing best and from there sauces then powder.  Frozen pods keep all the options open but eating fresh.

I have a dehydrator you can borrow if you want nzchilli.  I got it off trademe for drying peppers a year or 2 ago.  It is kinda old school but has 5 trays and adjustable heat.  I found a low heat and about 24 hours was the best for drying pods but understand it should be a bit quicker from frozen which I haven't tried.

Your pods look really good.  I can't believe how big the Turbo pube pods are.  Fingers crossed your brown moruga goes brown.

A few weeks ago I decided to follow Swampy's advise and only water with the Flora Nova stuff, no regular water. Low concentration though. 3 weeks later and now my reaper that was dropping flowers after tying up only about 40 pods has now stopped dropping buds and new pods are setting like mad. It's like it's got a 2nd wind, heaps of new fruit close together, etc. This is the stuff i'm talking about btw: http://sog.shopau.biz/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=1446&osCsid=

New pods:
2015_02_11_10_31_13.jpg

Here it is in all it's glory, nothing like Swampy's plants but i'll get there one day.
2015_02_11_16_17_06.jpg

FireFlyNZ said:
What are you using to take those shots? A camera yes, but what is it? lol good quality pics

Oh its just my Galaxy S5 dude. Although I did buy an app for about $2 (Camera FV-5) as it lets you manually adjust tons of stuff, so its good for up-close shots, etc.

SentencedToBurn said:
A few weeks ago I decided to follow Swampy's advise and only water with the Flora Nova stuff, no regular water. Low concentration though. 3 weeks later and now my reaper that was dropping flowers after tying up only about 40 pods has now stopped dropping buds and new pods are setting like mad. It's like it's got a 2nd wind, heaps of new fruit close together, etc. This is the stuff i'm talking about btw: http://sog.shopau.biz/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=1446&osCsid=

New pods:
2015_02_11_10_31_13.jpg

Here it is in all it's glory, nothing like Swampy's plants but i'll get there one day.
2015_02_11_16_17_06.jpg

Ah dude you make me proud ! I have created a monster and you are showing me up with your awesome plants! 
nzchili said:
Yea i need to get a dehydrator.
I currently have plates all over the place drying them out..problem is exaggerated because each type of pepper needs its own plate lol. So i end up with lots of plates sitting around for several weeks while they dry

I also use the dehydrator with trays. I have 5 trays so i can dry five different types of chilli at a time and keep them separated. Some get frozen and then dried out later for powders and some get frozen and used for sauces. With the current situation on getting seeds into NZ , i will saving most of my seeds before freezing now.
nzchili said:
Im starting to have more peppers then i know what to do with...will need to give some away to people at work or something.
Heres a few I picked yesterday
image_zpscd344a8e.jpg

I decided to try something with one of the turbo pubes...I cut it in half, removed the seeds, filled it with cheese then wrapped it in bacon  :P
image_zps2e691262.jpg

image_zpsc5914199.jpg

It turned out pretty decent. It may have been better to bake it or something though. The pepper in the middle could have done with being cooked a little bit more
image_zps1c6b01bc.jpg

Hey Rob, this is the brown moruga you gave me..pods are really huge. Some are moruga looking, and some of the small one moreso than pictured. So there is hope! Will need to catch up soon when some of my nasty peppers are ready. And ill give you that turbo pube :)
image_zps3a28119a.jpg

brain strain is doing pretty good...looking forward to this one
image_zps24ec3177.jpg

Hey Chris,
Have you thought about cutting the bacon up fine and combining with the cheese into the turbo pube and then grilling? Like a jalapeno popper - i would use savoury mince and cheese to stuff the jalapeno. Bacon and cheese and then grilled would probably work well with the thick fleshed pube as well.

Rush35 said:

Hey Chris,
Have you thought about cutting the bacon up fine and combining with the cheese into the turbo pube and then grilling? Like a jalapeno popper - i would use savoury mince and cheese to stuff the jalapeno. Bacon and cheese and then grilled would probably work well with the thick fleshed pube as well.

Sounds like a good idea. Will give it a try...
Yummmmmmm

Back