The Great Kiwi Pepper Thread

SentencedToBurn said:
Edit: i wonder why they don't call them Carolina Reapers, maybe legal reasons, or they are reselling on Ed's behalf?

I'm pretty sure it's ok for anyone to use the term 'Carolina Reaper'.
I think Ed copyrighted "Smokin Ed's Carolina Reaper" so your not able to use that name without permission.

nuclearDays said:

I'm pretty sure it's ok for anyone to use the term 'Carolina Reaper'.
I think Ed copyrighted "Smokin Ed's Carolina Reaper" so your not able to use that name without permission.
To think of it, we are trying to make sense of an advertising campaign. Regular people can't make sense of marketing "logic". Marketing ideas are based on their twisted understanding of reality they experience through tinted windows of their brand new mercs and bmws. Arrrghh i hate marketing.

Anyway, back to plants :D

Dude thats nuts. You gotta do farmers markets seriously. Come up to Auckland on the weekend - maybe try Clevedon ones, Parnell ones are just full of dorks in tight pants with gelled up beards, well Ive only been there once but I quickly left, it was pretty terrible. But clevedon ones are pretty sweet, not sure about how much it costs to book a box, etc, but you get lots of people there, heaps of farmers, but also a few people sell hot sauces, real spicy sausages, etc, we go there once in a while its a good troll through the stands. Maybe sell at like a dollar each or something, or 10 for $8, or not sure if that's too cheap. Get like a printout in large format of the SHU scale from 0 to Reaper, and point to where they are, where Jalapeno and cayenne are which is what chilli noobs seem to consider hot, etc.

Swampy_NZ said:
Todays Harvest.2795g of Nagas and 595g of Scotch Bonnets.I now have over 11kg of hot peppers in my freezer and I have hardly touched the Choc Bhuts or Reapers.What the f**k am I supposed to do with them all lol

What species are those small pink ones right at the bottom of the photo on the carpet?

lol yea that's a lot of peppers!

Im going to have too many giant rocotos soon lol..i hope they have a decent amount of heat in them. So far the pubes have been a little weak for my taste.
image_zps96249819.jpg

The Brown Moruga Rob gave me does indeed appear to be going brown. Some pretty big pods on that plant;
image_zps14679f0c.jpg

Also, i tried my first brain strain pod. Was pretty hot. Up there with the SR strain, but not as painful as the BP3. Iv got 3 SR strain plants and quite a few of the pods look very similar to the brain strain. Very easy to believe that the brainstrain came out of the SR strain. Brainstrain pod below;
image_zpsb4d5a52d.jpg

Here's a pod on the SR strain. Lots of my brainstrain pods have a more pronounced tail like the SR strain in below pic.
image_zps768a2185.jpg

Also, anyone growing anything with really large pods? hot or sweet? iv got one that's probably about as big as a beer bottle..will post a pic later

My Bijjims were pretty big and Capsicums are coming along nicely.   :)

SentencedToBurn said:
Dude thats nuts. You gotta do farmers markets seriously. Come up to Auckland on the weekend - maybe try Clevedon ones, Parnell ones are just full of dorks in tight pants with gelled up beards, well Ive only been there once but I quickly left, it was pretty terrible. But clevedon ones are pretty sweet, not sure about how much it costs to book a box, etc, but you get lots of people there, heaps of farmers, but also a few people sell hot sauces, real spicy sausages, etc, we go there once in a while its a good troll through the stands. Maybe sell at like a dollar each or something, or 10 for $8, or not sure if that's too cheap. Get like a printout in large format of the SHU scale from 0 to Reaper, and point to where they are, where Jalapeno and cayenne are which is what chilli noobs seem to consider hot, etc.
I was thinking  about doing the local ones here.Probably end of the year though so I can maybe sell pods,seeds and seedlings.I dont know if I can be arsed going through the council BS to be able to sell Hotsauce.Seems like a lot of money and effort.

Swampy_NZ said:
My Bijjims were pretty big and Capsicums are coming along nicely.   :)

I was thinking  about doing the local ones here.Probably end of the year though so I can maybe sell pods,seeds and seedlings.I dont know if I can be arsed going through the council BS to be able to sell Hotsauce.Seems like a lot of money and effort.

I make my sauces and give them away to worthy fellow addicts and prospective addicts...it's all about spreading the love! Once i have them hooked i will extort vast sums of money from them for the fix....

nzchili said:
Nice! Yea those look pretty solid! What are your plans for them?
Most of my bigjims got stuffed with bacon,cottage cheese and bread crumbs and roasted in the oven with cheese.The capsicums just get chopped up into dinner  :)

Orcmie said:
Hey all, I have been thinking (dangerous I know) and wonder how a community grow would go next season? Maybe grow something new or do some selections or stabilize something different. like a kiwi pepper?That 
Im down for that dude. Plus a few of us have heated greenhouses so we can grow two seasons worth per year. I'm planting Reaper X NuMex Twilight F1 seeds in about a months time hopefully so that might be a cool cross to do as a community grow. If it ends up being anything like the Bolivian Rainbow - just Reaper shape/heat.

SentencedToBurn said:
Im down for that dude. Plus a few of us have heated greenhouses so we can grow two seasons worth per year. I'm planting Reaper X NuMex Twilight F1 seeds in about a months time hopefully so that might be a cool cross to do as a community grow. If it ends up being anything like the Bolivian Rainbow - just Reaper shape/heat.

I have some Datil x Limon f3 seeds but have just had no germination success with them. :violin:

Trippa said:
It's been a great summer in NZ for growing chillis by all accounts ... I look forward to my first season in 9 years growing back in NZ next summer.. all looking good ... Nice work everyone ...

Coming back home Trippa? Tired of the Aussies?

Rush35 said:

Coming back home Trippa? Tired of the Aussies?
Yeah was always in the plans to come home even when we first went over ... All our family is there so makes sense especially with the parents getting older... we have had a good time here in Aussie for the most part ... It's just time to come home.

Trippa said:
Yeah was always in the plans to come home even when we first went over ... All our family is there so makes sense especially with the parents getting older... we have had a good time here in Aussie for the most part ... It's just time to come home.

We will be happy to add you to our little Kiwi chilli growers community! I hope the next summer is as good as this current one in NZ.

Orcmie said:
Hey all, I have been thinking (dangerous I know) and wonder how a community grow would go next season? Maybe grow something new or do some selections or stabilize something different. like a kiwi pepper?

I have a Fatalli x Savina which is at F3 at the moment and a Fatalii x TSMB which is F5. Looking forward to seeing what the fruit looks like this year.

Rush35 said:

I have a Fatalli x Savina which is at F3 at the moment and a Fatalii x TSMB which is F5. Looking forward to seeing what the fruit looks like this year.

What are you hoping for in the Fatalli x Savina? Giant Fatalli ? what colour still red? same for the other cross?

Back