• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The Great Kiwi Pepper Thread

Yeah...that's how i handle them as well. That being said, my early start to the new season which i began back in December, all but two plants have psyllid yellows and effectively have stopped growing. These new seedlings i am going to watch like a bloody hawk! I will turn that grow room into a nuclear bunker if necessary.

My experiments with the Kratky method of non circulating hydroponics worked quite well on the plants that the bugs did not destroy. Once this 7 Pot Madballz Brown plant was changed to a 10L bucket with an air stone it became a monster!

Many of these have now also been "retired" but i still have a number of larger plants i am going to overwinter as soon as i get my greenhouse up and running again.

Rush35 said:
Now if only we could find a chart that would tell us what we could spray on the plants to keep all bugs away forever!

This.

I know there's a pest guide on here, but something a little more specific to NZ would be good, preferably with photos of each pest for comparison. I'm new to the whole gardening thing and quite often see things and think wtf is that?!

Despite these bloody mites I have buds on two of my soil plants - one is a Pink Tiger that I'm growing to compare to the aquaponics one (although the aquaponics one was planted way too early and has stopped growing due to nutrient deficiency and the other one is an Aji Pineapple. Interesting though that the aquaponic peppers havent had any mites issues despite being in the same greenhouse. And some peppers growing next to the ones with mites issues are completely untouched. Not sure why - I've been regularly spraying (soil plants, cant spray aquaponic ones), but yeah.
 Hopefully will get some pods in winter like I planned.

Aji Pineapple:
2015_05_21_11_22_50.jpg

Pink Tiger:
2015_05_21_11_24_03.jpg

I am about to give up on my 3 remaining plants under the lights.They are growing well but the Aphids keep coming back and I am over dealing with them.Might just chuck them in the glass house and see how they go

I think I'm gonna stop all soil growing next year (in the greenhouse) as just far less problems with soil pests.

The mites though.. *shakes fist at the sky*. Will work out how to get rid of those bastards before next winter.

SentencedToBurn said:
I think I'm gonna stop all soil growing next year (in the greenhouse) as just far less problems with soil pests.

The mites though.. *shakes fist at the sky*. Will work out how to get rid of those bastards before next winter.
broadmites were a major issue in Queensland and the best ongoing results with no ongoing intervention people reported came from predatory mites. I can't find the same species of mite they used here but you might like to give these guys a crack ?
http://www.bioforce.co.nz/shop/products/mite-a/x_sku/Mite-A.html

Trippa said:
broadmites were a major issue in Queensland and the best ongoing results with no ongoing intervention people reported came from predatory mites. I can't find the same species of mite they used here but you might like to give these guys a crack ?
http://www.bioforce.co.nz/shop/products/mite-a/x_sku/Mite-A.html
Yeah dude I've been looking at that exact page age, I've already ordered stuff from them once - and so has rush35, so I reckon these guys will be the way to go.

SentencedToBurn said:

The worst problems we have here are not in the soil though....psyllids,mites and aphids are all on the leaves or flying around. Leaving the soil will not end the bug issues.....

I thought so too, I'm honestly getting completely smashed by these mites man. Ive been spraying like madness, managed to save a few plants, some are just munted as. its pretty gutting. so i'm gonna try and eliminate as much threat as i can whether its just fungus gnats, etc, and will then jsut deal with what I cant get rid of.

Hey Antz,

I know how you feel. Remember what i went through last year....i almost gave up a few times after all that time, effort and money. Most of my plants were nailed as well. I am starting again this year a lot wiser. i have not seen that Yates product before but it has wettable sulphur in it so it should help with the mites. Also try Bio-Force. I did not have conclusive proof last year that the predators i bought from them helped me but i hear good things.

Looks like my 400W panelheater setup can only hold the temperature about 5C above the outside temp. Last night's 4C outside caused my greenhouse to drop to the lowest point of 9.6C. The light then came on at 3am and got it up to 12C but still means that between about midnight and 3am I was at just under 10 degrees which isnt cool.

You can see the drop on the last two days where instead of staying above 14C it first went down to 11C the night before then 9.6 last night.
temp.png

I'm gonna rearrange my heater setup this weekend, will place it at the lowest point of the greenhouse, and will see if I can find some large rolls of bubble wrap as I've seen tons of people using it on their greenhouses as insulation.

But for next year I think I'll be rethinking my heating setup completely.

SentencedToBurn said:
Looks like my 400W panelheater setup can only hold the temperature about 5C above the outside temp. Last night's 4C outside caused my greenhouse to drop to the lowest point of 9.6C. The light then came on at 3am and got it up to 12C but still means that between about midnight and 3am I was at just under 10 degrees which isnt cool.

You can see the drop on the last two days where instead of staying above 14C it first went down to 11C the night before then 9.6 last night.

I'm gonna rearrange my heater setup this weekend, will place it at the lowest point of the greenhouse, and will see if I can find some large rolls of bubble wrap as I've seen tons of people using it on their greenhouses as insulation.

But for next year I think I'll be rethinking my heating setup completely.

How about a couple of big barrels of water for a heat sink.Looks like its still warm during the days?

Back