• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Great Kiwi Pepper Thread

Today I tried the first pod off my (not) brown bhutlah - pheno#3.
It was attacked by something so i decided to pull it now..

Its quite terrifying..loads and loads of oil..i tried a tiny sliver and its up there all right. (edited, just tried a bigger bit, its brutal)its deffinitly its the hottest thing iv tried so far
bd717129-8678-42d0-8723-a780fdd5a430_zpsd71c8c47.jpg

brutalnotbrownbhutlah3_zpsc89c073b.jpg

IMG_0577_zps4252a68d.jpg

YESS!!!!! they got through!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just checked the letterbox, to bad they forgot my reapers! haha not too worried just happy to actually get something and not a nasty letter.
Also came with couple of freebies "sweet pickles"(annuum) and "pluma" (baccatum) varieties which i've not yet heard of so yeah.. stoked! Should i bother emailing about the reapers? not fussed but might push my luck, whatdiya think?
IMG_20150202_1938541_zps0480a6bd.jpg

FireFlyNZ said:
YESS!!!!! they got through!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just checked the letterbox, to bad they forgot my reapers! haha not too worried just happy to actually get something and not a nasty letter.
Also came with couple of freebies "sweet pickles"(annuum) and "pluma" (baccatum) varieties which i've not yet heard of so yeah.. stoked! Should i bother emailing about the reapers? not fussed but might push my luck, whatdiya think?
IMG_20150202_1938541_zps0480a6bd.jpg

Lucky bugger !

I would leave the reapers personally.  There is no point getting a shipment of 1 packet of seeds which could get you the letter (put you on notice). After the letter it might become very hard to get seeds in. I have some reaper seeds from Semillas you can have, It is also my opinion that MPI will likely develop some sort of profiling to increase scrutiny on packages going to known offenders.

My big black mamas didn't make it. Interestingly I did not get the letter. Because they were sent with no scientific name they were not identified as hot pepper seeds and were stopped for having incomplete documentation....

Robisburning said:
I would leave the reapers personally.  There is no point getting a shipment of 1 packet of seeds which could get you the letter (put you on notice). After the letter it might become very hard to get seeds in. I have some reaper seeds from Semillas you can have,

My big black mamas didn't make it. Interestingly I did not get the letter. Because they were sent with no scientific name they were not identified as hot pepper seeds and were stopped for having incomplete documentation... have a think about that.
When did you order them? mine took 16-17days. Yeah i feel ya regarding the reapers will just leave it lol Just after seeing swampy's ones i was like "oh mabye i do want some of those" :)
Id take you up on the offer but i know it's just going to fuel my crazy obsession even more! i already have around 40 plants without counting this new batch or the ones ive given away (about 30 plants), i will sow 24 seeds tonight 4 0f each bbg7, MOA, devils brain and datil, and 2 of each red bhut, yellow bhut, chocolate bhuts and Moruga x douglah f2's.Already have 2 red bhuts from junglerain, 2 from THSC and 2 from trademe (so probably bell peppers) The missus thinks i am taking it too far, haha kind of have to agree really need to hurry upget these damn chillis out of the conservatory and erect the greenhouse!

I was sent the black mamas by a member on here from Germany.  MPI did notify me they had the seeds and told me they would incinerate them.

It is weird, there must be a switch in the brain that one day flicks on and after that all you can think about, taste and smell has to do with chillies

It is a weird time to start plants.  I know others will disagree but they are not going to see much of summer based on it being a month from now until they have their first true leaves and you will have to over winter them while they are quite young which might lead to few making it and a lot more work..  If you have lights indoors I guess it doesn't matter.

yeah man i do have 2 600w ballasts and a 1000w which can hold either hps or mh bulbs. have a grow room for my dwc chillis, but might scap that and try my hand at dutch buckets as a learning curve. in 2013 when last used it stayed around 28-30c on a day that was 8-10c outside in the middle of winter using 1x600w (no extraction fan just oscillating fans inside grow room), in summer it's just not possible to use it due to heat issues even with a powerful extraction fan with outdoor fresh air intake. iam sure i will learn a lesson either way, but if i can keep them alive and well during winter- i should be away laughing come august/sept.

Edit: had planned to put a BOC in a single dwc bucket over winter under a 4x 55w cfl but might do a multi dutch bucket with devils brain, boc, moa, and bbg7 under a 600w mh. will have to keep them prunned small as the room is 140cm L x 140cm W x 240cm H. Been watching too much mhpgardener on youtube.

FireFlyNZ said:
When did you order them? mine took 16-17days. Yeah i feel ya regarding the reapers will just leave it lol Just after seeing swampy's ones i was like "oh mabye i do want some of those" :)
Id take you up on the offer but i know it's just going to fuel my crazy obsession even more! i already have around 40 plants without counting this new batch or the ones ive given away (about 30 plants), i will sow 24 seeds tonight 4 0f each bbg7, MOA, devils brain and datil, and 2 of each red bhut, yellow bhut, chocolate bhuts and Moruga x douglah f2's.Already have 2 red bhuts from junglerain, 2 from THSC and 2 from trademe (so probably bell peppers) The missus thinks i am taking it too far, haha kind of have to agree really need to hurry upget these damn chillis out of the conservatory and erect the greenhouse!

This obsession sounds strangely familiar...
Robisburning said:
I would leave the reapers personally.  There is no point getting a shipment of 1 packet of seeds which could get you the letter (put you on notice). After the letter it might become very hard to get seeds in. I have some reaper seeds from Semillas you can have, It is also my opinion that MPI will likely develop some sort of profiling to increase scrutiny on packages going to known offenders.

My big black mamas didn't make it. Interestingly I did not get the letter. Because they were sent with no scientific name they were not identified as hot pepper seeds and were stopped for having incomplete documentation....

I think there is the real possibility that they could be keeping a record of who has been sent the threatening letters already and they could get nailed the second time....we really need to see if Judy can offer us a phytosanitary cert so we could put through a large order together to cover the cost of the cert.
FireFlyNZ said:
yeah man i do have 2 600w ballasts and a 1000w which can hold either hps or mh bulbs. have a grow room for my dwc chillis, but might scap that and try my hand at dutch buckets as a learning curve. in 2013 when last used it stayed around 28-30c on a day that was 8-10c outside in the middle of winter using 1x600w (no extraction fan just oscillating fans inside grow room), in summer it's just not possible to use it due to heat issues even with a powerful extraction fan with outdoor fresh air intake. iam sure i will learn a lesson either way, but if i can keep them alive and well during winter- i should be away laughing come august/sept.

Edit: had planned to put a BOC in a single dwc bucket over winter under a 4x 55w cfl but might do a multi dutch bucket with devils brain, boc, moa, and bbg7 under a 600w mh. will have to keep them prunned small as the room is 140cm L x 140cm W x 240cm H. Been watching too much mhpgardener on youtube.

I have started most of my new seeds already. By the time the frost is threatening here they can be moved to the greenhouse and the smaller plants can go under the lights inside. Will give me a big jump on the season....my plants can produce fruit all summer long instead of just growing and giving me fruit late summer.

Regarding the phytosanitary cert, i would be keen on the idea.. i think that the new law/rule is only relatively new and things are only going to get harder in future, once mpi procedures and implementation are well established it may be the only (legal/non evasive) option.

Note regarding my order: my order possibly made it through as it did not arrive in a bubble envelope.
I'd imagine that pepperlovers had had a string of requests from us kiwi's asking for a standard envelope, I however forgot to ask, seems i am lucky this time.

I had a parcel from Judy get through in a normal envelope and so placed a large order for seeds and asked that they split over a couple of normal envelopes to avoid bulky looking envelopes. This was not done and so it was picked up and a nasty letter sent....

Thanks for the response FireFlyNZ.  Booked in with Palmers in Remuera for a consult tomorrow. Are they common in NZ?  I can't find any information on it really.  Absolutely spewing as I have had a relatively pest free run until now.

Sorry for removing the images I posted earlier.  I will keep you guys informed on what shakes out and all treatment recommendations.

Ninja edits.. :shh:

I wrote to Judy of Pepperlover.  I asked if she might do a phytosanitary cert if we cover the cost and her time and place a significant order. We should know by tomorrow.

Back