• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Thanks guys! I don't know how to make something that looks orderly but at least tastes well and with good consistance xD

That time i tried a reversed no knead, basically mixing all, putting on fridge without any work, after a day forming balls without much work, fridge again then after another day strecht and cook. basically cold strecht...
It's really comfortable cause it requires minimal work, if i am to do pizza in middle week i can use that (other method is a bit incovenient, it doesn't require much work but waiting time from some steps).
I should fine tune it because cavities were pretty much missing. Consistance not the best (but not so bad either). Taste good.

rTx61bm.jpg

I was able to strecht nearly well, never happened before.

YQM2AoO.jpg

iOTePyq.jpg

Again margherita + burrata and prosciutto crudo (Tuscany type).

HWRe8mW.jpg

Margherita + provolone dolce, half with my olives and half with anchovies

WDQo040.jpg

Too bad i finished those olives (but i should avoid them if i can), heat  was so nice, strong but not unpleasant.

grantmichaels said:
still waiting on some supplies, but the baking steel lid came, so we made a batch of 5min artisan dough a la Reinhardt from a couple of years back and i profiled the rig w/ the lid...

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415159131.161901.jpg

1.5 chimney's of briquets in the bottom, 5x fists of oak on deck behind the stone ...

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415159164.680026.jpg

plan to cook last pie on stone, but earlier initial pies on screen ...

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415159235.853556.jpg

i tried to do this one "right" by pressing and keeping aerated dough on the edge and doing it all by hand ...

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415159300.255065.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415159314.323533.jpg

another One that Danielle did using a pin, this one cooked in an aluminum pan ...

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415159334.076558.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415159344.142712.jpg

una mas, also by D, using a pin ...

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415159380.958511.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415159426.147127.jpg

still a long way to go, but closer ... next time I'm letting some coals be under the stone a little more, because i'm browning on top before I'm cooked under the dough ...

at least we could eat it this time!

i've seen them squirt a little oil on top, and i'm wondering if that would buy me a little more time on top to get my dough a little more cooked?

i ordered a little bit of that d. malt and some corn meal, too, for the next time.

easy to setup and get going, though ... although everything seems easy now since smoking brisket, FFUUU ...
11/4/14.

Experiment with 100% durum wheat (semola rimacinata di grano duro):

LuyjHQJ.jpg

sjZGP57.jpg

85xo4MX.jpg

And the following with onion, yellow bell, garlic marinated in evo, black pepper, paprika, hot pepper, oregano.
VOKvRLN.jpg

ziZGwEZ.jpg

First, bad stuff: toppings pretty sucked. And i must say that mozz in those photos and in real life looked great but tasted of... Nothing! Also that marinade was really disappointing...
But dough was great. Very soft, somewhat crunchy, and didn't opposed any resistance to chew or cut. Of course taste is different and is good. A great alternative to normal flour.

Also i repost here the result of my trip to Napoli. I had to accompany a friend there and i was lucky that he went near the best place for pizza.
With best i am pretty sure that it's the best World wide and maybe more, even if i am not that big traveler...
The place called Via Dei Tribunali and proximity is literally filled with pizzerie! I mean, in my city i even complained about how much ice cream shops there are... In Via Dei Tribunali Napoli.... Density of pizzerie is even higher!
Maybe someone can say that somewhere in the world there's a pizzeria that is best than all those... But there i am pretty sure that all pizzerie are good, some are different to satisfy different tastes. And if we consider price i believe there's nothing that compare. All with some of the best ingredients and the best execution possibile.

I've eaten 4 margherite that day.

So i went to Antica Pizzeria e Friggitoria Di Matteo, that was my first choice.
11:55 am:
AiPgd5i.jpg

LiLUHCr.jpg

I didn't saw Di Matteo (that has been world champion or something like that) but... That wins the day. And the fact that i was still hungry doesn't matter.
I don't know if it's the best pizza i ever had... For sure it's the best i've had since i pay attention to pizza execution.
This looks excellent and tastes better, Dough was so soft but so perfectly cooked... With, of couse, excellent tomato and great mozzarella... A bit watery but not too much. Here it's personal preference, some like that, some not... But considering how dough was absolutely not wet (still being absolutely soft) that was so good! And so light...
It wasn't big, but that was good for me. And luckily i didn't wait much.
Costed 3€.
After a couple of months i can say i am fanboy. Other people told me that this place is also very reliant, it never disappoints. Also it's said that maye it has the best fried stuff of the city (maybe for just fried pizza there's another place that has a bigger name).

Next i went to Gino Sorbillo.
I know it's another big name among pizza experts...
I saw some fried pizza that looked sooooo goood.... But another time, because i've already tried fried pizza and it's good, but i prefer normal pizza. But maybe one made from a true grand master...
Place was really small and here i was lucky that it was still early and i didn't wait long.
Here i took just a bad photo...
00:18 pm
WX76d8Y.jpg

Because that was already folded...Probably i was just too interested in tasting that, i should have folded it again and shoot the classic Neapolitan wallet...
That one was really good too but i liked more Di Matteo. I think that some seconds more of cooking would have been good..
Aside that, just another mastercrafted pizza... More salted and a bit smoky (maybe there was some smoked grated cheese inside, i don't know). That melted mozz is pure gold.
Oh, and the price: 2€
Total 6,5€ for 2 margherite, water and a bottle of beer.
After some time i think that it was a bit disappointing to have felt it a bit undercooked though, I just should retry.

Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba
Antica means ancient and for a good reason.
Quoting wikipedia: "First established in 1738 as a stand for peddlers, Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba was opened in 1830 in the town center at Via Port'Alba 18."
It's believed to be the first true pizzeria of all the world.
2:36pm:
0HrjagR.jpg

Spotting is marvellous.
Just another great pizza. Maybe crust was a bit compact comparing other ones. The only neapolitan pizzeria in my city resembles that one, but that one i cooked better. No complaints.
Price of just pizza: 4,5€ but it was a bit more massive than others. And the place elegant.

Pizzeria Franco
I wasn't sure that it was a good idea to go near station to eat but...
at 8:02 pm arrived that:
ZXDvhkp.jpg

This looks good!
And it was great! A bit too burnt on a side but apart that excellent. I really liked tomato. I like most Di Matteo, but i'd rank that second of that day!
Also they offered some fried pizza pieces...
If, by chance, you pass to Neaples central station, you can go here that is near and have a true pizza just outside.
Costed 4,5€ but wasn't small.

I couldn't go to Da Michele that is considered the absolute best by many, but there was too much people, so next time i must be sure to go there. Also another must go is Starita. But there are so many places to visit.
 And the problem is that there's a ton of great stuff to eat, not just pizza!

Made Rye flour April 12 for Sourdough and cooked it up last night,( was actually surprised how much time went by).
Added yeast in the late morning and started cooked up 3:30, bread first, a bit over cooked but still moist.
Pizza was awesome, nice and chewy crust, love chewy bread. Layered Gruyere with severa chilie peppers powder and the tomatoes topped with Chipotle.

P4129662_RyeWhole-1000_zpsuodb4jec.jpg

P4129663_RyeFlour-1000_zpsjpypzi4m.jpg

P5020306_Bread-1000_zps5ele5h1b.jpg

P5020307_Pizza-1000_zpsltm7ggfr.jpg

_5025508_Pizza-1000_zpsrufeev91.jpg

Last nights Eggplant Pizza

1/3rd BRF, 2/3 Buckwheat, 1 tbsp Caraway, Keifer starter, mixed up in the morning. Added yeast in the afternoon.
Added Seasoning, Yellow hab, Chipotle, ChileArbol, Oregano, Cumin.
Prefried Eggplant and Red Bell peppers.
Cooked 400f 25min.
Add cheese after pulling out, I also added some salsa for the tomato taste.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P1090507_PizzaEggplant-1000_zpshlk0d2qs.jpg

P1090508_PizzaEggplant-1000_zpsx8xoseik.jpg

P1090509_PizzaEggplant-1000_zpsud3jqkl4.jpg

P1090513_PizzaEggplant-1000_zpsuo6xwdiy.jpg

P1090514_PizzaEggplant-1000_zpsjrukior0.jpg

I know it's arugula lol.

I'm used to the jagged shape.

Back