• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Last nights Pizza
Buckwheat hydrated 6 hours then added yeast , pour into pan and let go another two hours.
basic topping, Portobello mushrooms, almonds, chilie paste, seasoning, Cumin seeds, cooked 475f
Topped after taking out with Brie and Blue cheese, Arugala, Dill and  El Jefe pepper

P1100194_Pizza-1500_zpsiacwxuwn.jpg

I made a pizza dough using a cold rising technique i found yesterday.

The dough recipe is nothing special:

1,5dl of cold water.
2 teaspoon of dry yeast.
1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Few dash of olive oil.
around 3,5dl of wheat flour.

Make the dough like you usually do and the special part of the thing is, that you rise the dough in the fridge atleast 2 hours before making the pizza. You can make the dough in a day earlier and put it in the fridge to rise for a long time before baking. The longer the dough rises in the cold, the better the taste.

I rised the dough in the fridge for around 2 hours yesterday and after tasting the pizza, the taste of the pizza seemed to be much better than the usual warm rised pizza dough people normally make.

Sorry to have been missing for long time...
I am making some pizza again...
Here a try with a type 1 flour (rougher, healthier, more substantial and nourishing than standard one, less suitable for pizza but still a nice compromise)

5BmF19.jpg

ACNqE0.jpg

It didn't look much good and it was a bit crunchy on surface. Awesome consistence though.
Simple with just hot pepperoni, but really, the simpler is nearly always the better....

Love that sauce, looks like san marzanos and nothing else! So simple sweet and good.

Essegi said:
Sorry to have been missing for long time...
I am making some pizza again...
Here a try with a type 1 flour (rougher, healthier, more substantial and nourishing than standard one, less suitable for pizza but still a nice compromise)

5BmF19.jpg

ACNqE0.jpg

It didn't look much good and it was a bit crunchy on surface. Awesome consistence though.
Simple with just hot pepperoni, but really, the simpler is nearly always the better....
Good to see you back and posting my friend. Nice pie. 

Cheers

After making pizzas for many years I finally got the wife to let me build a pizza oven. Since I've never done any brick work before I didn't wanna spend too much, or make it permanent. So this is built on a steel frame which I've covered with some treated ply.

The idea was to make it look like a gothic castle, had to make steel frame to support the roof (and work out the steel expansion rate, etc so it doesnt crack under heat), lucky I joined a pizza oven making forum so got a ton of good advice thourhout the build. In the end the materials only cost like $450NZD so at least it's not a major if something goes wrong, but I don't see why this won't last for a few years.

Have fired it up for the first time today to see what it goes like, proper test starts next weekend with some test pizzas. The original build is here http://ukwoodfiredovenforum.proboards.com/thread/2537/first-time-build-gothic-castle but it's nothing too impressive, it's basically learn as I go, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

2017_02_12_15_45_40.jpg

2017_02_12_15_54_14.jpg

SentencedToBurn said:
After making pizzas for many years I finally got the wife to let me build a pizza oven. Since I've never done any brick work before I didn't wanna spend too much, or make it permanent. So this is built on a steel frame which I've covered with some treated ply.

The idea was to make it look like a gothic castle, had to make steel frame to support the roof (and work out the steel expansion rate, etc so it doesnt crack under heat), lucky I joined a pizza oven making forum so got a ton of good advice thourhout the build. In the end the materials only cost like $450NZD so at least it's not a major if something goes wrong, but I don't see why this won't last for a few years.

Have fired it up for the first time today to see what it goes like, proper test starts next weekend with some test pizzas. The original build is here http://ukwoodfiredovenforum.proboards.com/thread/2537/first-time-build-gothic-castle but it's nothing too impressive, it's basically learn as I go, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

2017_02_12_15_45_40.jpg

2017_02_12_15_54_14.jpg

I think that turned out freaking fantastic! I been wanting to build one for a long time myself but have no brick experience. Can't wait to see how the pies turn out. 

Back