• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Oregano is Italian...although over used as dried spice in US cooking :rolleyes:

EU legal definition of Napoletana Marinara (http://www.fornobrav...a/VPN_spec.html)
4) Method: Assembling a Pizza.
Pizza Napoletana Marinara:
Using a spoon place 80g of pressed, peeled tomatoes in to the center of the pizza base, then using a spiraling motion, cover the entire surface of the base with the sauce;
Using a spiraling motion, add salt on the surface of the tomato sauce;
In the same manner, scatter a pinch of oregano;
Chop a thin slice of peeled garlic, and add it to the tomato;
Using an oil canister and a spiraling motion starting from the center and moving out, pour 4-5g of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Article 5. Features of the final product
a. Description of the product:
Marinara, the green of the oregano and the white one of the garlic;

Because if it's on the Internet it's true :lol:

I really like the oregano I grow - "oregano vulgare hirtum" - "common hairy oregano"......how mundane! haha

It's quite mild, and just slightly minty. BUT, I prefer it fresh to dried. Dried, it gets a little pungent. Good for veggies and hearty sauces.
I used to 'doctor' my pizza sauce to the hilt, but have learned to really appreciate the magic of simple, well combined flavors of quality ingredients.
I no longer use oregano in my pizza sauce......but spag sauce - Oh HellsYes!!!! :)

Some people...heh...some people use oregano in their bbq rubs.

Yankee's mostly.

North of the mason dixon.

I myself care nought for it.

100% Whole WHEAT
Amazing how well this dough came out. Very tough to work with but the flavor was worth it.
457g KA Whole wheat
216g Water
216g Milk
1.75tsp Salt
2tsp Olive oil
1.5tsp honey
1/8tsp IDY
based on the formula posted here http://www.pizzamaki...0.html#msg49850
Using this method http://youtu.be/Wh_PDRlK1Js

New cheese....so much better for $2.35/pound instead of tasteless stuff for $8.

6 pound block
8037625168_04a0090d63_c.jpg

8037658324_afea84ae31_b.jpg

8037659060_7cee662aa1_b.jpg

8037629381_1a95e196d8_b.jpg

8037635798_cb3b07cd52_b.jpg

8037675429_0c012d99db_b.jpg

Basil wins this round. :cheers:

-Peter

Killer looking pizza B2B!

I've sworn myself off of white flour products and have gone over to the dark side and will only be using whole wheat from now on
in pizza and tortilla's.

In fact I have a bag of KA sitting ready to go just for that purpose.

I may be accused of going hippy n' all for doing so but I don't give a good dadgum.

That looks like good pizza to me!

I love whole wheat, but not in my pasta. You're definitely in the hippy danger-zone when your spaghetti is whole wheat. I've been guilty of this in the past... and that's not a place I want to go back to... ever.

Whole wheat pasta?

Who said anything about whole wheat pasta?

That's extreme even for a hippy.

That's like fresh back from the peace corps occupy wall street trust fund soy sucking hippy.

They'd eat cow dung as long as someone tells them its organic.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD UP.

Back the trash truck up!

We happen to eat Whole wheat pasta, and love it.
It's not like it used to be at all. It's more satisfying, and I tell myself it's better for me.
We only eat it with certain dishes, and not all that often.
Like, we don't use it for Lasagna, we'll leave that and the Disoranno for GM.

Call me a hippy, if you must, but I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and goshdarn it, people like me.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD UP.

Back the trash truck up!

We happen to eat Whole wheat pasta, and love it.
It's not like it used to be at all. It's more satisfying, and I tell myself it's better for me.
We only eat it with certain dishes, and not all that often.
Like, we don't use it for Lasagna, we'll leave that and the Disoranno for GM.

Call me a hippy, if you must, but I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and goshdarn it, people like me.

Just so you know.

Cow dung is organic.

Bon appetit!

Hey b2b...you gonna throw something spicy on one of those beauties????

Great looking pies, nice char!

Where da spicinext????!!!!!!!

Shit, I don't know how to properly misspell that...

Not hating. Having fun w ya. Looks awesome!

Finally got the bake time under 6 minutes by finishing the preheating with the broiler. Got it to around 600F when the pies went in.
The cheese makes all the difference...fat and salt. :P

Hey b2b...you gonna throw something spicy on one of those beauties????

Yeah they do need some baked on heat...
I just end up eating very little of the finished product so I've kept them family safe. With powders added later.

-Peter

Back