• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Moruga Project

Yes. I dedicate 15 minutes twice a day to the plants. I am reusing my dirt from plants that didn't make the cut to fill up the pots of the ones that do. I think it's also time to do something I was afraid of doing: popping holes in the bottom of the pots (please don't yell at me). I had them on shelves with electric lights, so if I had holes, it'd leak on electricity so I never punched holes. But there's been a lot of rain and they need holes.

Also a question- should I consider taking them from their 3" pots and put them into 6" pots- the bottom half of a half gallon container. I did it with one and think I see positive results... 9 would fit per milk carton so I'd need 3 more cartons... anyway, should I repot them all now?

Had to bring in all the plants as it's windy and rainy outside. Virtually all of them fell over. I am packing them with dirt to stand up and putting them back under the lights. Should have pics later-

The boxes are in about a week. The plants- most of them- look really pathetic. They look sunburned, actually. Is that possible?

A company around here is offering $129 for a truck full of dirt. I know from other companies that there's 22 tons/cubic yards to a truckload and I don't need that much, I think 8 tons is enough, but 8 tons at 12.50 is $100... why not pay $29 more and triple the amount of topsoil I get? The extra won't go to waste- I will just build up my backyard a bit- it slopes downhill towards the house and I'd like it to eventually be turned into 2 level layers: front half and back half with plants. This might be what I am looking for.

they can get sunburned. why i was asking about the boxes i was thinking you could make each one into a small hoop house that you can remove the plastic very easily. this will help if you need to hold onto heat keep heavy rains off if need be all kinds of good stuff. then still do what you want getting other plants in the ground.

also i think you need to start another tray of seeds. keep them constant growing in diffrent stages. thats how i learn alot.

Well I am now down to 55 pathetic little plants half of which should be culled but I am giving them another week indoors. One of you guys suggested I go with 20 plants... it's heading in that direction.

As for potting up, I'd vote yes. That will get their roots out of soggy soil and you'll get to see first hand what effect that has. Plus you are what, another month away from final plant out? They could stretch their legs quite a bit into new space during that time. Make sure you either put in drainage holes (preferred) or are very careful not to overwater.

Well, I saw your new post as I was typing that bit above. Even if you don't up pot, repotting will help them dry out their feet. It sounds like you have a serious case of overwatering here.

Do what Patrick said and bury em deep since they are leggy. Every now and then I get a a leggy one from a cayenne or jalapeno so i just bury it deep. In the future better lighting will mitigate that issue.

Well I am now down to 55 pathetic little plants half of which should be culled but I am giving them another week indoors. One of you guys suggested I go with 20 plants... it's heading in that direction.

Keep more so you can test different methods of care to see what works for you. You might be surprised how many of the "pathetic" looking ones turn around and produce.

They look good! Definitely good size for plant out. The stem are a bit thin but bury them a couple inches deeper and you should be fine. I'm surprised you were able to get such good results with an incandescent. They usually grow very leggy plants. Your are pretty nice! Good luck with your plantout!

I broke what I have into two sections- one with the 15 "worthless and weak" plants that are 4" or less after a month. They're all likely to be culled, but for the moment they surround one light.

The rest fit into 3 cube milk cartons- 25 plants with some almost reaching the top of the milk carton and all of them needing space. I am going to devote my attention to these "25 winners" and reposition them and the lights.

Put the 25 plants out in the sun today. May or may not take back in tonight depending on forecast. I am also slowly repotting them to 6" pots with double the volume of dirt.

I think they have a 2-3 weeks to go before it's safe to put them outside.

have you got them boxes/beds ready yet? and like i said before dont get upset,start another tray tonight!!!! do diffrent things now that you have learned a couple things and keep tweaking however you need to. you will learn so much just by watching these peppers grow.

I don't mean to sound evil here but your plants look very sad.

Too little light, too much moisture still. Do you have a fan on them? You need to strengthen the stems. 15 minutes at a time 10 or 12 times a day. As for sunburn yes that can happen. The leaves will get a slivery sheen and then dry up and crumble away. The plants can over come it. To harden them off you need to expose them to the sun a little at a time and increase the length of time over the period of a few days. With your current light set up I wouldn't expose them to much more than 30 minutes of sun the first time. Then increase it by 30 minutes a day until they're can take 2.5 to 3 hours straight. Then they should be good to go. Don't expose them to direct sun all day for a couple of weeks. In fact some shade the last couple of hours of the day will probably be good for them.

You may have to stake them at first. When you tie them off make sure they have room to move around a few inches in each direction. That will allow the fibers in the stem to move and get stronger.

I don't mean to sound evil here but your plants look very sad.

Too little light, too much moisture still. Do you have a fan on them? You need to strengthen the stems. 15 minutes at a time 10 or 12 times a day. As for sunburn yes that can happen. The leaves will get a slivery sheen and then dry up and crumble away. The plants can over come it. To harden them off you need to expose them to the sun a little at a time and increase the length of time over the period of a few days. With your current light set up I wouldn't expose them to much more than 30 minutes of sun the first time. Then increase it by 30 minutes a day until they're can take 2.5 to 3 hours straight. Then they should be good to go. Don't expose them to direct sun all day for a couple of weeks. In fact some shade the last couple of hours of the day will probably be good for them.

You may have to stake them at first. When you tie them off make sure they have room to move around a few inches in each direction. That will allow the fibers in the stem to move and get stronger.
im not expert but ^^^^^

Took in the plants at 4:30 (outside for 6 hours) and some of the leaves are sunburned. Will work on it.

Will cull remaining 15 plants.

I will work on the other things brought up. Yes- I have a fan on them nearly all day.

Also worth mentioning that I grew sweet peppers and cantaloupes in the same medium and both are doing very well- twice the size. While I agree about over-watering, that didn't hurt the other plants.

Back