• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hot Pepper said:
It's a ceramic grill people can cook pizza on that JayT said was buying but spent all his money at sausage camp instead.

No, it is not a category. :)
Not was buying, still is, and I did not spend all my money at sausage camp. I spent to much at Bowers. I didn't spend much at all at sausage camp. I did buy some nice Kielbasa though. I have the money to buy it, but with hunting season and the holidays approaching, I have decided it would be better if I wait until after all that before plunking down $1400 for a cooker that I will not likely use much until Spring anyway.

Alynne: http://www.biggreenegg.com/

It's kind of hard to believe, but true, that people will spend that kind o' cash on a grill. But hey, there's clearly a Big Green Marketing Machine doing it's job very well! Sales Psych 101: Charge way more than it's really worth, then let the buyers rant and rave to justify spending that kind of moolah to convince themselves that it really is somehow way better than something less-expensive, even though you, the marketing person, know better. Yaaaaaawwwwwn!

geeme said:
Alynne: http://www.biggreenegg.com/

It's kind of hard to believe, but true, that people will spend that kind o' cash on a grill. But hey, there's clearly a Big Green Marketing Machine doing it's job very well! Sales Psych 101: Charge way more than it's really worth, then let the buyers rant and rave to justify spending that kind of moolah to convince themselves that it really is somehow way better than something less-expensive, even though you, the marketing person, know better. Yaaaaaawwwwwn!
You are probably right, and I could probably be happy with the Acorn or Komodo, but the BGE is guaranteed for life so I will pay that once. I almost never buy the top of the line, but in this case, I will.

That's not true geeme, they are holding their ground with pricing because they have a quality product. Once they give into price wars, then that's it, they give in and can't go back but they are doing just fine holding their own even though similar cookers are cheaper. If you are into grilling and smoking they are not expensive really. A good quality offset that you don't have to mod, doesn't leak, and is made of decent steel will run you 1500.

The point you make is relevant to Beat headphones, $400 for hype, cost $6 to make in China, and are inferior to brand names like Sennheiser etc. that cost half. Now THAT is marketing hype. Kids want Dre's headphones.

There's always that... no idea how much it costs to mfr, but the dude invented the modern kamado which is a hanging clay cooker in ancient Asia, he first started selling them in 1974 as cheap cookers but they broke so he R&Ded a stronger ceramic and built a plant to handle just the ceramics using the same process as space shuttle tiles for high heat. But there is certainly hype and a legion of fans, is it worth it? That's up to the buyer. You won't see a bad review though. Like with other hyped products. The issue is, the knockoffs get similar reviews. So basically you choose if you want the original, or a comparable model, and save a couple hundred. I don't see anything wrong with Jay wanting the BGE. It's a killer cooker and worth the $ imo.

The Hot Pepper said:
I like how it's an egg shape with a nipple so they called it Akorn. Hehe.

When it came out, it was decent, but performed better with a change of the heat gasketing ...

After a year or so of production, they changed the seal, and the new seal is legendarily good ...

Now, the people having problems are the one's who find the posts from the beginning and change out the seal before trying the stock one ... assuming it'll be a better application on the new parts ...

I almost did this, but a member's PM on kamadoguru saved me ...

The thing's more frugal than my depression/holocaust-era grandmother ... rest her soul, and all ...

It needs no modification ... you can steal them for like $275 from Lowe's on and off throughout the year ...

You put flaxseed oil on the grate 1st, and you are in business, just like indoor CI ..

I love my black kettle, it's my 1st and favorite, but the Akorn + WSM combo is my future ...

WSM vs PBC vs offset, but the point just being that while if I could only have one single grill - that it would be a Weber kettle, if I can have two, I'd specialize a little more and switch to Akorn for grilling/outdoor oven and a dedicated smoker ...

grantmichaels said:
Now, the people having problems are the one's who find the posts from the beginning and change out the seal before trying the stock one ... assuming it'll be a better application on the new parts ...

Ha! Those are people that mod just to mod w/o having a reason.

I've never one pizza, but wonder if it could be seared on the CI and put in a really hot oven to finish.

Theres a place down the street 2 Amy's that was the first in the country to be certified for Neapolitin. Has ruined all other pizza for me. I'm afraid to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back