• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The official TOMATO thread

That is a 28 oz Yellow Brandywine.

A potato-leaf variety somewhat prone to cat-facing  :rolleyes:
Plus, it was set out early.

Now, the only question is... Does anybody have any tomato seeds for trade or sale? I'm looking for that Indigo Rose and Stupice...

Black & Red Board and Negro Azteca.
IMAG4926.jpg

IMAG4799.jpg

solid7 said:
Now, the only question is... Does anybody have any tomato seeds for trade or sale? I'm looking for that Indigo Rose and Stupice...

I've got some Stupice, send me a PM.

Fiogga was nice enough to send me some osu blue seeds last fall. I am growing two plants- one is correct color the other plant is putting out nice red tomatoes. The red def. taste much better :cheers: 
osublue_zps15fc4e06.jpg

So, here's a question. We pulled up our tomato plants over a month ago (probably more like 2 months ago). I went out today and just by chance noticed three little seedlings (probably 5" tall) sprouting. I put them into pots and found three more little ones (probably 1", if that) so I got them too. Has anyone else ever had volunteer tomatoes sprout in October? I couldn't believe they were actually tomatoes until I sniffed them - yep, they smell like tomatoes! It hasn't been unseasonably warm, so I'm not quite sure why they sprouted. It's odd, but I think it would be so cool if I could keep them alive over the winter. What would I need? I assume a lamp (sun or heat?), and probably a bigger pot (they're all in pots I got for my spinach plants last spring, so I don't think they're big enough for tomatoes)...

ETA: The neighbor's cat kept me company while I potted the tomatoes (she looks as surprised as I am to find tomato seedlings in October):
tumblr_ndpo38DoyZ1s3xj43o1_500.jpg

I see you have some heart tomatoes stefan.  I will be planting more heart varieties next year, love them.

Denniz, I see your doing blue tomatoes.  They look nice.  This year I planted a cherry called Blue Berries.  It was
a nice looking plant.  Leaves had a blueish tinge to them, but the tomatoes only had blue coloring on the top.  
Maybe they did not get enough sun.  I wasn't too crazy about the taste, but it sure was prolific.  My sister made
a tomato salsa with different cherry tomatoes, and it was good in that.  I'll grow another plant next year from
my saved seeds.

We have been growing "Wally World" tomatoes for the past few years.
Looking to expand our taste palate into the heirloom varieties
From listening to some of the radio gardeners, they are recommending
Green Zebra**
Lemon Boy
German Queen
Kellogg Breakfast ***
Black Krim*

Please PM me if you might have these seeds and other heirloom tomato variety seeds available.
Thank you,
Chuck
Ohio

solid7 said:
I have some O.P. Indigo Rose, they would be F2's, I have never grown any F2's yet, but I really like sun dried I.R. and can't grow enough. LOL   

Hi guys.. quick question.. i've been growing this black prince since march and after 7months of stalled growth it suddenly had a growth spurt.

However.. i think its starting to put out buds..

Is this normal?

This year I grew..... Cherokee Purple, Big Rainbow, German Green, Calfs Heart, Thessaloniki, Roma VF, and Crimson Cushion Beefsteak.  Of those varieties I did not care for the Cherokee Purple at all.  I did not like the texture or the taste of that tomato. 

My very favorite tomato was Calf's Heart!  Its a very meaty tomato which can get to about a lb each. 

Jetchuka said:
Thessaloniki <-- a good compromise of non-splitting, meaty firm, tasty, uniform sized, early-ish, good disease resistance and production.

I can confirm this, of the varieties I planted all were killed off by Blight except for Thessaloniki and Calf's Heart.  Both have good resistance to disease! 

That's funny. The internet tells a similar tale, some love their cherokee purps and some hate them. Mine were delicious, very fruity. But the plant started getting grey and withery in the lower limbs, dunno what that's about

I cut all my tomatoes down to a stump several weeks back, and this past weekend noticed one had grown back, flowered, and set fruit. Interestingly it was one of our faves this year, a blue variety from Japan called Seiho Blue Currant (that's my rendition of the name).

some of my Juliet? tomatoes from this year. Could also be tomatoberry.  may have some bugs I need to see about getting rid of there...

some San Marzano tomatoes growing. I'll probably post more pictures on those when they get bigger. I have some more varieties of seeds I haven't planted yet.

Back