• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The official TOMATO thread

MeatHead1313 said:
Can anyone recommend some good varieties for growing in containers? My wife wants me to grow her some tomatoes again this year, and my only option is containers as the ground we have where we're living is no good for growing without a lot of work being done to it, and we're planning on moving this year so it's not worth the trouble. She's looking for some type of regular sized tomato for salsa's, pico and sandwiches, and a cherry tomato for salads etc. 
I've grown Cherokee green, beefsteaks, black krim and japenese black triefle in pots and they've done great....any cherry tomatoes would work too.

If you need any seeds, let me know. :dance:
Mr Clayton Forrester said:
Tried amish paste last year. I got about 5, coworker got one. Guess they dont like hot and dry. Hopefully you have better luck.

They always do great for me, thankfully as its one of my "staples" for canning and salsa's. :dance:

I love growing tomatoes but I always have to fight some kind of varmant (possum, raccoon, rat) eating my tomatoes every year.
This is my list so far, I think.

Italian Heirloom
Indian Stripe
Big Beef Hybrid
Dester
Martino's Roma
Tommy Toe Red
Sungold
Paul Robeson (maybe)
Matt's Wild Cherry 
Juliet (maybe)

MeatHead1313 said:
Can anyone recommend some good varieties for growing in containers? My wife wants me to grow her some tomatoes again this year, and my only option is containers as the ground we have where we're living is no good for growing without a lot of work being done to it, and we're planning on moving this year so it's not worth the trouble. She's looking for some type of regular sized tomato for salsa's, pico and sandwiches, and a cherry tomato for salads etc. 

I've grown Stupice, Lime Green Salad and Danko in pots, I can send you seeds for all three if you like.

Penny said:
I've grown Cherokee green, beefsteaks, black krim and japenese black triefle in pots and they've done great....any cherry tomatoes would work too.

If you need any seeds, let me know. :dance:

neoguy said:

I've grown Stupice, Lime Green Salad and Danko in pots, I can send you seeds for all three if you like.
Thanks for the info and offers. I could do a trade if you'd like-pepper seeds for tomato seeds. 

More tomatoes started today.....Ok folks....here is my list so far, all started yesterday....its a mix of both peppers and tomatoes.....

Its a mixture of tomatoes and peppers....

calabresse marzetto pepper x2

mrs maxwells pink beefsteak tomato

7 pot yellow pepper

green Serrano pepper

Coeur de beouf tomato

indigo rose blue tomato....trial

kardia karpos red f5 tomato.....trial

sweet paprika pepper

big orange from amuz tomato

black seaman tomato

Hungarian tomato pepper

hot paper lantern habanero pepper

aji omnicolor pepper

petite Marseille pepper

esplette pepper

amish paste tomato

pink tiger pepper x2

aji pineapple pepper x2

black pearl pepper

bugarian tomato

Croatian bullheart tomato

jimmy nardello pepper

Egyptian tomato

Oregon spring tomato

McClintocks big pink tomato

That's it so far...when you start your seeds.......post away!!

Started today,,,,January 7th 2014

Macedonian tomato

thai dragon pepper

black pearl pepper

Anaheim pepper

catarina pepper

pink ping pong tomato

pepperoni pepper

manx marvel tomato

antonovka tomato

japenese black triefle tomato

pailette aranconi pepper

pasilla poblano pepper

purple tiger pepper

big jim pepper

santa fe grande pepper

peach habanero pepper

ancho pepper

jelly bean tomato

black zebra tomato

bhut jolokia pepper

that's it for today....

I just placed an order from Wild Boar Farms.. Now I need space for 4 more. :doh:  Indigo Apple, Amethyst Jewel, Amethyst Cream Cherry, and Blue Berries.   

this mater thread needs some pics

20140212_175359.jpg

20140212_175412.jpg

20140212_175419.jpg

there, thats better  :D

MeatHead1313 said:
Are you still looking for seeds/recommendations?  If yes, you would probably do well with dwarf tomatoes.  I know that "Patio" is available pretty much everywhere.  You could also get seeds for varieties like New Big Dwarf, Summertime Gold, Dwarf Emerald Giant, and Rosella Purple.  These are dwarf plants with full size tomatoes.  I have seeds for some of these plus a few others like Pear Drop and Tiny Tom yellow that I could share.  LMK!

checkerkitty said:
Are you still looking for seeds/recommendations?  If yes, you would probably do well with dwarf tomatoes.  I know that "Patio" is available pretty much everywhere.  You could also get seeds for varieties like New Big Dwarf, Summertime Gold, Dwarf Emerald Giant, and Rosella Purple.  These are dwarf plants with full size tomatoes.  I have seeds for some of these plus a few others like Pear Drop and Tiny Tom yellow that I could share.  LMK!
Appreciate the offer! Neoguy and Penny hooked me up with plenty of seeds already, and as my wife is the only one that eats tomatoes I've already got more than enough to last her. Thanks though, very kind!

A smaller list this year but more focused on growing tomatoes for the purpose of making sauce and salsa :) Besides the Datterini I have no experience with the other varieties that are on the list, it's a mixture of cherry, beefsteak and sauce tomatoes.

Black & Red Boar
Bychok
Canestrino
Coral Queen
Datterini
Jersey Devil
Napoli Paste
Negro Azteca
Santa Clara Canner
Sprite
Sweet Carneros Pink

I haven't tried any of those stefan.  I've heard goods things about Jersey Devil.  Give us reviews on which did best for you.    All of the tomatoes I started have sprouted, and
I need to start more today.  Still trying to decide on which new ones to try.  I can't grow them all.  I did just order some Sweet Million Hybrid, which I will grow one plant.  

I'm trying to start some Bull's Heart tomato.  I grew it a couple years ago and it was as close to a perfect tomato as I have ever gotten.  I lost my original seed so someone
from tomatoville sent me some.  Hopefully it is the same tomato.  I don't think all Bull's Heart are the same.  The ones I grew in 2010 were wonderful.  Sweet and great
flavor.

Well off to soak some eggplant seed!

roper2008 said:
I haven't tried any of those stefan.  I've heard goods things about Jersey Devil.  Give us reviews on which did best for you.    All of the tomatoes I started have sprouted, and
I need to start more today.  Still trying to decide on which new ones to try.  I can't grow them all.  I did just order some Sweet Million Hybrid, which I will grow one plant.  

I'm trying to start some Bull's Heart tomato.  I grew it a couple years ago and it was as close to a perfect tomato as I have ever gotten.  I lost my original seed so someone
from tomatoville sent me some.  Hopefully it is the same tomato.  I don't think all Bull's Heart are the same.  The ones I grew in 2010 were wonderful.  Sweet and great
flavor.

Well off to soak some eggplant seed!
I will, Linda. I will start in about 2 weeks, can't be to early because of the chance of frost we have till end of April.

Do you mean the Oxheart tomato or Coeur de Boeuf? I got heirloom seeds of it if you want some, these days it also has a couple of color variations like yellow, pink and white. Have grown them 2 years ago, very tasty indeed!

Started three type of tomatoes today.  Never grown either of them so I figured I would give em a try:

Gardener's Delight  
Mortgage Lifter
Jet Start Hybrid

Hope everyone has a good grow this year!

Back