• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2014...CLOSED FOR THE 2014 SEASON

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

Me, and my Cacho de Cabra, which stands at 4' tall.

Some non-chinenses.

Chinenses.

GRIF 9265.

I'm using the square foot gardening method.  Plants are getting close.  I like the appearance.

A weird cross.

MoA, Scotch Bonnet.  Can't wait for these.  I have 4 plants.

Weather is into the 90s today, and will hit 101F tomorrow.  It's funny the misconceptions people have about Oregon weather, in particular, southern Oregon.  Good luck to all.  I hope this Pacific Northwest GLOG will be a success!

LowDrag said:
FINALLY!!!  I got two Ghost Pepper pods and one Trinidad Butch T Scorpion pod with some very small ones coming in right behind it.

Trinidad Butch T Scorpion.

and my Ghost Peppers.  Two pods so far. 

Neither of the peppers will probably get very warm will they?  I heard that there has to be a lot of hot weather for a pepper to get its full heat.  Is that true?

Dude the two Butch T's that I bought from that one place have been EXPLODING! I have tons of peppers on my plants, it's crazy. Thanks for referring me :P
My ghost peppers haven't been producing much though =/ I might just have one pod on my two plants.

xBrianxEdge said:

Dude the two Butch T's that I bought from that one place have been EXPLODING! I have tons of peppers on my plants, it's crazy. Thanks for referring me :P
My ghost peppers haven't been producing much though =/ I might just have one pod on my two plants.

No worries Brian, I am glad the Butch T is doing good for you.  I think I pruned mine way too early.  I was watching a YouTube video by Praxxus something or other, he guaranteed if these plants were pruned just below the "Y" then they just get bigger and sturdier and taller.  Well...they mostly got sturdier but they definitely did not get taller and explode with growth until just a week or so ago.  That's why I think I pruned them too soon.  Ray's peppers (Praxxus) were really good sized.  Mine are staying short and bushing out wide.
Roguejim said:
When they ripen, eat one, and let us know...hee...hee...

Uh yeah...don't think the stomach will handle that just yet.  I have been eating Jalapeno's a little at a time to build up my heat tolerance.  I made some salsa last weekend and put some Habanero in it. It had a nice little bite but I was able to handle it without too much trouble.  The next day was fine too.   :onfire:

First pull of the season.  The white jolokia was hot!  I'm still recovering.....

10563021_10203624387067052_451765549196572636_n.jpg

Roguejim said:
Is there a better way to freeze them? They will go into sauces anyway, so, "mushy" won't matter. I'm still using a few ripe off the plants, but most are for sauces.

I've heard that blending them and adding a touch of vinegar and salt with both help preserve them and save space. I've never tried it though. I have used previously frozen peppers and the mushy aspect of it is a bit off putting but my sauces have turned out good.

Second small pull of the season. Got some Jolokia's, trinidad scorpions and Cayennes..

All dried and ready for the grinder.

Already have a small spice bottle full of Jolokia powder. Does a fantastic job on the wings!

Neil

Blister said:
Second small pull of the season. Got some Jolokia's, trinidad scorpions and Cayennes..

All dried and ready for the grinder.

Already have a small spice bottle full of Jolokia powder. Does a fantastic job on the wings!

Neil
Neil - Nice!  I like the beer too!!

FGpepperguy said:
Neil - Nice!  I like the beer too!!
Thanks FG! Things have turned out better than I expected. I'm nearly at the end of my grow. I highly doubt I'll get another harvest this year. There's just not enough time left for them to grow and ripen before the frosts and snow arrive. Learned lots this year and hope to improve next year.

Neil

Blister said:
Thanks FG! Things have turned out better than I expected. I'm nearly at the end of my grow. I highly doubt I'll get another harvest this year. There's just not enough time left for them to grow and ripen before the frosts and snow arrive. Learned lots this year and hope to improve next year.
Neil
I'm glad you joined the PNW Glog, representing your own area. I hope you'll keep checking in the rest of our season.

OK folks i am going to cry lol. OK I have a few plants starting to show signs of flower. I have learned a  grip on this late start practice grow. I learned i need to water deeper and less often and might want to add some ferts way sooner. I also wont be doing the 24 hr light cycle. Going with 18/6 from the start. I will also use ID stick's..

Any way here are some pic's

20140822_093046_zps9b87ed18.jpg

20140822_093840_zpsae7193e1.jpg

20140822_093923_zps90a4d4f1.jpg

20140822_093851_zpsb9381332.jpg

Here are the plants That i did not water deep enough.
20140822_093844_zpsfe7c0141.jpg

20140822_093942_zpsd247f50c.jpg

20140822_093859_zps76255431.jpg

20140822_093038_zps4f872142.jpg

live and learn 

I germinated way late too. April I think it was. There are plants that I've put a lot of effort into that still show no flowers. I think the one that you have dropping flowers could still produce pods by late Sept, early August. Pray for a hot September like two years ago!

Roguejim said:
I'm glad you joined the PNW Glog, representing your own area. I hope you'll keep checking in the rest of our season.

I'll still be looking in every now and then. I have a small amount of peppers ripening up and may overwinter a plant or two. I say may because overwinters are such a great way to bring in aphids and other unwanted bugs. 

This is the little jar of Jolokia and Scorpion powder I've been working on. It was full, but I've been using it regularly as well as have given some to my brother and other friends. The batch that was recently dried will stay in pod form until I get low. Spices tend to keep longer if left whole. The cup is one that me and my boy painted this past fathers day.

Neil

Got my fingers crossed for a good September XD

October, November, December.... :rofl:

Finally some damn pods on my Not-TMS
Aug22_0007.jpg

Aug22_0003.jpg

If anything happens to them, I'll burn this house to the f**king ground.

I try to give 'em finger hugs every day. The other two plants are disappointments to me, much like when rogue genetics gives you a ginger child. Sterile as all hell, though one did set a pod a few days ago. My finger has defiled many tender flowers in an attempt to get more.

Hey everyone, here is my update.  My Trinidad Butch T Scorpion is finally starting to give up some pods.  I posted some pic's of these pods last week and I am amazed at how much they have grown.

One week ago:

Tonight:

My Ghost Pepper tonight:

Habanero's:

Plant one...one week ago...

Tonight:

Plant two...one week ago...

Tonight.

My Serrano's are starting to get ripe too.

I am absolutely amazed at how fast my Butch T and Ghost peppers are showing pods and at how many.  The Scorpion has better than 15 pods on it right now and the Ghost is right behind it.  This is awesome!!!

KevinH said:
OK folks i am going to cry lol. OK I have a few plants starting to show signs of flower. I have learned a  grip on this late start practice grow. I learned i need to water deeper and less often and might want to add some ferts way sooner. I also wont be doing the 24 hr light cycle. Going with 18/6 from the start. I will also use ID stick's..

Any way here are some pic's

20140822_093046_zps9b87ed18.jpg

20140822_093840_zpsae7193e1.jpg

20140822_093923_zps90a4d4f1.jpg

20140822_093851_zpsb9381332.jpg

Here are the plants That i did not water deep enough.
20140822_093844_zpsfe7c0141.jpg

20140822_093942_zpsd247f50c.jpg

20140822_093859_zps76255431.jpg

20140822_093038_zps4f872142.jpg

KevinH,
I'm no expert, but, the plants with the upward leaf curl seem to be exhibiting signs of too much nutes.  The ones you said need deeper watering, with the crinkly leaves, are exhibiting signs of calcium deficiency.  I've had both problems in the past.  They are pretty common to new growers.

Back