• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2014...CLOSED FOR THE 2014 SEASON

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

Me, and my Cacho de Cabra, which stands at 4' tall.

Some non-chinenses.

Chinenses.

GRIF 9265.

I'm using the square foot gardening method.  Plants are getting close.  I like the appearance.

A weird cross.

MoA, Scotch Bonnet.  Can't wait for these.  I have 4 plants.

Weather is into the 90s today, and will hit 101F tomorrow.  It's funny the misconceptions people have about Oregon weather, in particular, southern Oregon.  Good luck to all.  I hope this Pacific Northwest GLOG will be a success!

Interesting, I see no reason why it wouldn't work really well for you.

I'm thinking the expanded metal would need support; something like a landscape timber at the top and bottom.

organic pepper said:

Has anyone here in the PNW tried a raised bed air pruning set up? Been thinking about this the last few weeks and was curious. I have been searching through out the web but, cant find anything on it.  It would be the same principal as using multible airpots other than doing it in 30 ft. long x 24" w set up in tiers utilizing geotextile fabric with expanded metal mesh as strenght for holding the fabric on the sides.  Just wondering, Thanks

I was thinking about doing something like to replace 15 gallon pots. Use chicken wire or hogwire to make a cylinder about 1.5ft high and around 2.5ft diameter. Line the inside with shadecloth or landscape fabric and use 2 or 3 rebar pounded into the ground for support. Only problem is, my property is mostly solid rock under a couple inches of topsoil so had to ditch that idea and go back to plastic pots and 5 gallon buckets.

I was thinking something of the same thing here. After 18" I get into harder packed clay type soil. Tells me that its fill dirt and clay. I figured the easiest solution was to bring the the soil level up to what and where you want and amend according to your areas best interest taking in to account for weather/ soil conditions and so forth. I also took into consideration what's available locally. ie.. used scrape yards and such. I like growing in the earth when ever I can. The stuff I bring in for winter months well, that's what try to use the pots for.  In kona you are dealing with alot of lava rock. I love the idea of lava rock in my compost mix but, it minimal. I just used it to keep the soil porous. With prices its cheaper to use pumice for my circumstances.

Roguejim said:
Wow! What an idea. I think you should post your idea in the general Growing forum. Lots of folks who don't follow this glog might see your question there.

Ok posted.. lets see if we can get ideas and or info. Many minds are better than 1.  :P

I'm shutting down our GLOG for the 2014 season, and immediately launching the 2015 GLOG.  I want to thank all the PNW-ers who thought this would be a good idea to have our own GLOG.  And, it is OUR GLOG!  My hope for the new season is a return of all the guys who made this GLOG an educational, and fun place to be.  Also, for new folks to join us here.  I would be remiss if I didn't thank all the THP members who aren't from the PNW, but, who jumped in anyway (DEVV, et al...)  I hope you guys will keep this going for another season.  I'm really looking forward to 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Thanks for doing this and I will be looking forward to the 2015 version.   This  is a great way to meet the other growers in our neck of the woods.

Bill

I've enjoyed the PNG! And look forward seeing what Yall come up with next year. You guys did a heck of a job this season for sure!

Back