• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2014...CLOSED FOR THE 2014 SEASON

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

Me, and my Cacho de Cabra, which stands at 4' tall.

Some non-chinenses.

Chinenses.

GRIF 9265.

I'm using the square foot gardening method.  Plants are getting close.  I like the appearance.

A weird cross.

MoA, Scotch Bonnet.  Can't wait for these.  I have 4 plants.

Weather is into the 90s today, and will hit 101F tomorrow.  It's funny the misconceptions people have about Oregon weather, in particular, southern Oregon.  Good luck to all.  I hope this Pacific Northwest GLOG will be a success!

Jim - sure no problem.  First I mix up a 32 oz spray bottle of star-san.  1/4oz of star-san per 32oz spray bottle.  I then spray anything that touches my ingredients.  Mixer, spoons, jars, lids, air locks, etc.  I then put 4 cups of water into a measuring cup (large) and put in 4 tbsp's of canning salt.  Stir and put in microwave until it boils, then let it cool.

I then weigh all of my ingredients.  I want to hit about 55 oz by weight of ingredients to fill my 64oz mason jar.. Need to leave room to put the brine on top.  If I have a little extra sauce at the end I put it in a pot, mix in some vinegar and have a ready to go sauce :)

Ingredients get mixed in the Cuisinart.  If it is really thick I pour some salt water in from the 4 cups I made above.  I also add 1-2 capsules of Ultimate flora (https://ultimateflora.com/) in per batch.  Batch one gets spooned in (with a sanitized spoon) into the jar.  Batch #2 goes in the Cuisinart.  Rinse and repeat.  Top off the jar with the salt water until there is about an inch of head space.

Sanitized lid (airlock optional) and set it in a dark place.  My first batch I made with this method on Sept 1 and I have zero mold or yeast growing on the top.  I have 4 jars of this first batch, so I know this method was not a fluke.

A few weeks ago I was pretty worried about the change in weather and my plants dying.  But apparently my plants just don't care, or haven't been told its officially Fall.  Mid to low 40s at night, mid 50s to mid 60s during the day, raining a lot.  But the plants have continued to grow, ripen existing pods, and a couple are even spitting out a 3rd round of new pods which are bigger than ever.

IMG_0074.jpg

My 2 Aji Lemons are packed with what looks like hundreds of peppers.  I'm pulling about 5 - 10 every day.  Lets hope this keeps up.

IMG_0077.jpg

Looking good turbo! The ones in not over wintering are outside as well. Doing pretty well too. Not sure they are going to put anymore pods out though :(

FGpepperguy said:
Jim - sure no problem.  First I mix up a 32 oz spray bottle of star-san.  1/4oz of star-san per 32oz spray bottle.  I then spray anything that touches my ingredients.  Mixer, spoons, jars, lids, air locks, etc.  I then put 4 cups of water into a measuring cup (large) and put in 4 tbsp's of canning salt.  Stir and put in microwave until it boils, then let it cool.

I then weigh all of my ingredients.  I want to hit about 55 oz by weight of ingredients to fill my 64oz mason jar.. Need to leave room to put the brine on top.  If I have a little extra sauce at the end I put it in a pot, mix in some vinegar and have a ready to go sauce :)

Ingredients get mixed in the Cuisinart.  If it is really thick I pour some salt water in from the 4 cups I made above.  I also add 1-2 capsules of Ultimate flora (https://ultimateflora.com/) in per batch.  Batch one gets spooned in (with a sanitized spoon) into the jar.  Batch #2 goes in the Cuisinart.  Rinse and repeat.  Top off the jar with the salt water until there is about an inch of head space.

Sanitized lid (airlock optional) and set it in a dark place.  My first batch I made with this method on Sept 1 and I have zero mold or yeast growing on the top.  I have 4 jars of this first batch, so I know this method was not a fluke.
Thanks for sharing this.  I have made several ferments so far, but the use of Pro-biotics is a new one to me.  Might be a whole lot easier than collecting the liquid from yogurt which is the way I have been doing it.   I like your use of Star-san as I have had a couple of batches get Kahm yeast, but so far no nasties yet!

FGpepperguy said:

Thanks.  I wonder why I didn't think to boil the water, first?  I use iodophor for the sanitizing.  Next time, if there is a next time, I will boil the water. 

Roguejim said:
Thanks.  I wonder why I didn't think to boil the water, first?  I use iodophor for the sanitizing.  Next time, if there is a next time, I will boil the water. 
I'm not sure if its needed.  I was just too lazy to buy bottled water from the store.  I figured it would out-gas some of the chlorine and also sterilize the water.  Iodophor should work very well.  I used that before star-san when I brewed beer.

Roguejim said:
Glad you found it. In December, I'll be launching the Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015.
Looking forward to it. I'll have my indoor gear up by then and camera as well.. Just got in my new 30 gal conical tank for making aact and ewc teas. Now I just got get a couple of hoses and some pvc tubing to get it up and going for this winter crop. Will start posting pics once I get the camera. Cheers all.

turbo said:
A few weeks ago I was pretty worried about the change in weather and my plants dying.  But apparently my plants just don't care, or haven't been told its officially Fall.  Mid to low 40s at night, mid 50s to mid 60s during the day, raining a lot.  But the plants have continued to grow, ripen existing pods, and a couple are even spitting out a 3rd round of new pods which are bigger than ever.

My 2 Aji Lemons are packed with what looks like hundreds of peppers.  I'm pulling about 5 - 10 every day.  Lets hope this keeps up.

Experiencing the same thing here.  The recent bout of warm weather seems to have 
started a whole new season on the baccatums, pubescens and wilds!  Flowering and 
setting little pods to boot    :crazy:   Go figure!  I'm thinking that this spurt will make 
hanging the branches with unripe pods or semi-ripe pods very successful.  Have had 
great success hanging some choc. Bhuts, White Habs, and Barrakapores.  They ripen 
up very quickly once hung up in the garage.  I'm going to do it with all the plants that 

are left this year.

Anyone thinking about there 2015 grow list, yet?  I just broke out my seed binder.  There's still another 1-2 months before I will start germination, but I start thinking about it now, and make numerous revisions before settling on a final list which I always seem to add to at the last minute.  I'm waiting on a seed order of various Numex varieties from Midwest Chileheads, whom I highly recommend.  There's going to be a lot less chinenses this upcoming 2015 (I think...) and more annuums, baccatums...I'm thinking a total plant count of around 50 will suffice.  Stay tuned for the new PNW Glog this December.

I have been thinking too. My 6 overwinter are all superhots. I want to grow some tobasco and peppercini this year. Debating on other mild varieties.

This round that was the goal. I always have room somewhere that I throw in my reg favorites.  (banana's, thai's  jalapeno's and goat's weed). I really like the prices from pepperlover. Now I have to get busy building a seedling grow chamber.

Well, Iv'e received my peppers seeds and must admit I'm a little excited to get them going. Just a few things left to finish my grow shelves. On the other note I was fortunate enough to get a tad bit of pepper meat with them seeds. Well one thing lead to another after a few beers I decided to taste test some of the stock that I have not tried. (reapers, moruga and the 7 pod primo) The winner in my opinion was the moruga! Boy was that baby is special!  Gotta thank Judy from pepperlover for the bonus. I even ate a seed the following day to be sure. Well that is the real deal.  :fireball:

organic pepper said:
Well, Iv'e received my peppers seeds and must admit I'm a little excited to get them going. Just a few things left to finish my grow shelves. On the other note I was fortunate enough to get a tad bit of pepper meat with them seeds. Well one thing lead to another after a few beers I decided to taste test some of the stock that I have not tried. (reapers, moruga and the 7 pod primo) The winner in my opinion was the moruga! Boy was that baby is special!  Gotta thank Judy from pepperlover for the bonus. I even ate a seed the following day to be sure. Well that is the real deal.  :fireball:
Yeah, those dried placentas can be nasty.  Morougas are so nasty, what do you do with them?  :rolleyes:  What freebies did she send you?  I hope you'll post some photos of your shelves.  The new Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015 starts in December!  Keep an eye out for it.  I'm getting real antsy now coming up with my growlist.

Roguejim said:
Yeah, those dried placentas can be nasty.  Morougas are so nasty, what do you do with them?  :rolleyes:  What freebies did she send you?  I hope you'll post some photos of your shelves.  The new Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015 starts in December!  Keep an eye out for it.  I'm getting real antsy now coming up with my growlist.

I'm thinking about drying the morugas and using it as pepper water for seasoning and using the dry powder in bbq sauce and/or using the powder as my extra extreme seasoning in some of my cooking. From my order I got the star of turkey, cumra cherry and aji cito as the freebies. I'll post pics of the shelf set up once I figure out how to download pics from my phone to the puter as well as figuring out how to post pics here.

Has anyone here in the PNW tried a raised bed air pruning set up? Been thinking about this the last few weeks and was curious. I have been searching through out the web but, cant find anything on it.  It would be the same principal as using multible airpots other than doing it in 30 ft. long x 24" w set up in tiers utilizing geotextile fabric with expanded metal mesh as strenght for holding the fabric on the sides.  Just wondering, Thanks

Back