• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2014...CLOSED FOR THE 2014 SEASON

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

Me, and my Cacho de Cabra, which stands at 4' tall.

Some non-chinenses.

Chinenses.

GRIF 9265.

I'm using the square foot gardening method.  Plants are getting close.  I like the appearance.

A weird cross.

MoA, Scotch Bonnet.  Can't wait for these.  I have 4 plants.

Weather is into the 90s today, and will hit 101F tomorrow.  It's funny the misconceptions people have about Oregon weather, in particular, southern Oregon.  Good luck to all.  I hope this Pacific Northwest GLOG will be a success!

Getting some leaf curl.

Also I tried to save a bit of money for a week and used peat pots. NEVER again. plants dry out hell'a fast..

miguelovic said:
Daaayhm, five pages and I'm only the second from BC? Pshaw. Balduuuuvian can increase our numbers by 50% :D

I'll find a few pics of what Donny Don't Did XD

Welcome, Hoser.

KevinH said:
No I am only in 3.5 by 3.5 pots. I am 3-4 weeks from going to 1 gal pots.

Why are you waiting?

They only went in the 3.5 pots a week ago. I tried a soil my lil bro had and im not so sure its all that good. So when I do pot up, im using Happy Fog and Ocean Forest and added Pearlite. And they will all go into #1 pots. To be honest im good for a month or more in the 3.5 x3.5 pots. Have a look thru Spankscolts old grow logs as well as his Glog this year he lives an hour north of Me.

I mainly want to be sure there stable and back to leaf growth before I replant. Next year they will stay in the plugs a bit longer and go rightmin to 3.5 pots and my soil mix. The 4 I really hope make thru winter are the Reaper
,T S M chocolate bhute and the Jamaican hot chocolate. But we will see.

I also think I need to use ferts more. Alaskan fish and cal mag is all I have on hand. Going tp pick up some Super thrive, vita grow, vitamin B, as well as bone meal, Oster shell and foxfarms Grow Big.

KevinH said:
They only went in the 3.5 pots a week ago. I tried a soil my lil bro had and im not so sure its all that good. So when I do pot up, im using Happy Fog and Ocean Forest and added Pearlite. And they will all go into #1 pots. To be honest im good for a month or more in the 3.5 x3.5 pots. Have a look thru Spankscolts old grow logs as well as his Glog this year he lives an hour north of Me.

I mainly want to be sure there stable and back to leaf growth before I replant. Next year they will stay in the plugs a bit longer and go rightmin to 3.5 pots and my soil mix. The 4 I really hope make thru winter are the Reaper
,T S M chocolate bhute and the Jamaican hot chocolate. But we will see.

I also think I need to use ferts more. Alaskan fish and cal mag is all I have on hand. Going tp pick up some Super thrive, vita grow, vitamin B, as well as bone meal, Oster shell and foxfarms Grow Big.

If you're ever near Wilsonville stop by Green Future...they have all the ferts you can imagine and at good prices. Good way to support local business. Check out the General Organics line-up. It has worked great for me. 

Here are the pics from today.. I have some stress going on..
20140711_1323111_zpsb70fce74.jpg

20140711_1323301_zpsfa3325f3.jpg

20140711_1323441_zpsa7683e3c.jpg

This next is of some I potted up out of the peat pots this morning..
20140711_1323521_zps0da55bad.jpg

I'm getting some pods coloring up a little here in the Rogue Valley.  This heat wave is intense.  Maybe, I should have put up shade screen...90F today, 101F tomorrow, up tp 105F on Tuesday...

Nice color! I have my first few pods just starting to turn. Still a long way to go for me, but already better than last year!

We're getting some heat up north these next few days too. I'm going to put up my cloth. Bought it... Gonna use it!

I heard that super hots actually do better in the shade when it's stupid hot outside like it will be for the next few days.

Is this true? If it is, I'm about to move all my containers to the shade, lol.

Jim,

You're right on target with your plants and they will kick some serious ass this season!

With that crazy heat just water them.

For the rest of you:

And forgive me, I'm NOT in your locale. But we face the same issues timing, timing, timing.

My usual last frost is March 15th. Being the heat is my enemy, I strive to get my gals in the dirt as early as I can. Or the pods won't set. By this time (early July) the peppers are done fruiting unless I choose to run them until December. Did that last season, and no rest for me! So this season I had 1' plus plants in the ground at last frost time. They were in 1 gal pots and started in November, that's around 5 months until dirt. This gave me the jump on Mother Nature.

I know 'Yall have a short season, but so do I for different reasons.

Hope this helps someone :D

Roguejim said:
It looks healthy to me. Any flowers on it? What size pot?
No flowers yet. 3 gallon pot right now. Picked up a 5 from home depot today. Think I should transplant?

Kevin what do you mean supplies??

Soil, nute, plugs, trays, domes, bulbs (I change them once a year if used more then a week) and so on. I know 2 places that will give a discount on pallets of each soil bought and possibly on more then 2-3 case's of nutes. Now I also have a business lic. and there is a suppler in Vancouver, Wa.

xBrianxEdge said:
No flowers yet. 3 gallon pot right now. Picked up a 5 from home depot today. Think I should transplant?
Kevin what do you mean supplies??
It's a tough call whether or not you'll get pods. Nothing you can really do about it but wait. Unless the plant is root bound, I'm not sure you will gain any by transplanting. You know, I have a small Red Savina that just threw out a pod the other day. I was going to toss the plant in the garbage last May because it was stunted. My 4-year old grandson caught wind of it, and told my wife he wanted to hide the plant from me, and give it a chance. Well, I put it into about a 3-gallon pot, and now it has a pod, and more flowers. You might still get some pods.

Roguejim said:
It's a tough call whether or not you'll get pods. Nothing you can really do about it but wait. Unless the plant is root bound, I'm not sure you will gain any by transplanting. You know, I have a small Red Savina that just threw out a pod the other day. I was going to toss the plant in the garbage last May because it was stunted. My 4-year old grandson caught wind of it, and told my wife he wanted to hide the plant from me, and give it a chance. Well, I put it into about a 3-gallon pot, and now it has a pod, and more flowers. You might still get some pods.
Oh wow that's awesome :) 
I'm teaching my daughter about different plants too. It's cool that a 3 year old can determine a tomato plant, from a strawberry plant, from a pepper plant, from a blueberry plant, from a raspberry plant.

Back