• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2014...CLOSED FOR THE 2014 SEASON

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

Me, and my Cacho de Cabra, which stands at 4' tall.

Some non-chinenses.

Chinenses.

GRIF 9265.

I'm using the square foot gardening method.  Plants are getting close.  I like the appearance.

A weird cross.

MoA, Scotch Bonnet.  Can't wait for these.  I have 4 plants.

Weather is into the 90s today, and will hit 101F tomorrow.  It's funny the misconceptions people have about Oregon weather, in particular, southern Oregon.  Good luck to all.  I hope this Pacific Northwest GLOG will be a success!

Got a question about one of my plants...but first! My Trinidad Scorpion pushed a little pod out the other day! I'm excited, take a look! haha

dGy1Sip.jpg

Now on to the question...This plant is a habanero, but why do I have some peppers on there that look like this? 
AhXp9YD.jpg

and 
lM97AiM.jpg

I didn't think habs had tails, do those look normal??

Some quick photos.  Lots of plant growth with this heat, which kind of surprises me.  Lots of podding up, but, not a lot of color change, yet, at least not from the chinenses.

Ripe Jamaican Mushroom.  Good stuffing pepper.

Ripe Fresnos.  Great for sauces.

Pimenta Leopard turning odd colors.  It should ripen to red.

Mariachi Pepper.  I know nothing about these.  It was an impulse purchase at a local Grange Co Op.

Peppadew.  These will be pickled.

Giant Yellow 7-Pot. (romy6)

Aji Teapot, full of pods. (ajijoe).

Aji Lemons.  I think I have 4-5 plants, and they all are loading up.  I like to put them in farm cheese that I make.  I think I'll also make up some fruity type of salsa with them, too.

This is what happens when you use the square foot gardening method.

That's all for now.  Back to the pool.

xBrianxEdge said:
Got a question about one of my plants...but first! My Trinidad Scorpion pushed a little pod out the other day! I'm excited, take a look! haha

dGy1Sip.jpg

Now on to the question...This plant is a habanero, but why do I have some peppers on there that look like this? 
AhXp9YD.jpg

and 
lM97AiM.jpg

I didn't think habs had tails, do those look normal??
It might still be a hab it looks like to me
blorvak said:
Nice square foot gardening! Is it hard to harvest with all that foliage?
I would be interested to know as well as I could fit many, MANY more peppers in my grow if I did

blorvak said:
Nice square foot gardening! Is it hard to harvest with all that foliage?
First off, I got the idea from a photo Joyner's Peppers posted. It all depends on the size of the raised bed, and which sides you have access from. If your bed is 4x4 with access from opposite sides, you can easily reach in 2 feet, and harvest everything without stepping into the bed. My raised beds are about 15x4 with access from all sides, including a couple of narrow 4' paths that cross over width wise. I haven't had much to harvest yet, but I don't think it will be any problem. It helps if you know, in advance, which plants grow taller, and keep them on the back side so they don't block sunlight for the shorter plants. Having said all that, one potential problem is if you need to spray for insects. It's a bit of a bitch trying to cover everything, but nothing that would keep me from using the square foot method again. There is also the issue of fertilizing which you must consider. It is a bit more labor intensive, but again, not so bad to keep me from using this method again. The sheer quantity of plants that I can plant makes it worth it to me. And, if I can ever source ramial wood chips, fertilizing will be a non-issue. One real benefit is that the plants provide mutual shade for each other. I pulled out my drip irrigation system before I decided on square foot gardening, so, I water by hand. It probably takes less than 30 minutes, and I kind of like doing it anyway.

hey there, i saw this glog yesterday and was happy to see a pnw section. i am growing jalapenos, habs, serranos, italian roasters along with a few tomatoe plants all in containers. i noticed the leaves on most of my peppers are wrinkling up a bit and talked to a person with experience with peppers and she suggested cal-mag and gave me a couple tbls of the stuff and i mixed up an 1/4 of a tsp to a quart of water and did a foiler spray tonight on everything.  we will see what happens.  im getting peppers and pods on all my plants.  : )  anyways i just wanted to introduce myself.
roguejim, we are close. i would like to see your garden sometime.  it looks like you have been growing peppers for a while.
if i check the box at  follow this topic  will it notify me when someone posts?   thanks,  strag

Welcome to the PNW Glog. Yes by following the the topic you will be notified when there is a new post made. Post up some pics and list what nutes you have been using along with what soil your using and what you have done to it.

For pics just up load to photobucket and paste the link, it makes pic magically appear.

Roguejim said:
Some quick photos.  Lots of plant growth with this heat, which kind of surprises me.  Lots of podding up, but, not a lot of color change, yet, at least not from the chinenses.

Ripe Fresnos.  Great for sauces.

Pimenta Leopard turning odd colors.  It should ripen to red.

Nice grow but I don't think those are Fresno. Shouldn't they grow upright? The green parts of your Pimenta Leopard will eventually turn red, the dark will stay dark :)

meatfreak said:
Nice grow but I don't think those are Fresno. Shouldn't they grow upright? The green parts of your Pimenta Leopard will eventually turn red, the dark will stay dark :)
Upright?? I'll have to double check on that, but I think/hope you're wrong.

Alright, I Googled "Fresno Pepper Plants", and clicked on Images. Some Fresnos stand erect, others hang. My pods hang, dude.

Hey Jim, sorry I missed out so far on your fine PNW blog.  Great idea!  
It's great seeing everyone's grows in this part of the world.  I'll try to grab
some pics today and post a few here to add to the confusion!  

I'm glad the weather broke a little this week, the plants can use a rest   ;)   
Looks like after this little blip we'll be back into the good weather Friday and beyond.

My efforts lately have been focused on pruning off extraneous growth from the bottom
of the plants - everything with no flower buds at the terminals gets cut off.  that allows
for better air circulation at the base of the plant, and those branches will never produce
a significant amount of pods if they haven't started budding already.

The other ongoing chore at this moment is tying up the long, heavy branches on the
larger plant', some are approaching four feet in length and I'm afraid when rains come
for real, that the branches will break off.

In the meantime, I'll just fill some space with these for those who haven't seen my blog.

A general shot of the back guard and about 40% of the pepper grow at the far end and on the right:

backyardpan7_14a_zps8eb88dd4.jpg

A little early Summer candy:
DSCN0566a_zpse1376c4a.jpg

Again, really glad to see the PNW grow log and the fine contributions posted here!

PaulG said:
Hey Jim, sorry I missed out so far on your fine PNW blog.  Great idea!  
It's great seeing everyone's grows in this part of the world.  I'll try to grab
some pics today and post a few here to add to the confusion!  

I'm glad the weather broke a little this week, the plants can use a rest   ;)   
Looks like after this little blip we'll be back into the good weather Friday and beyond.

My efforts lately have been focused on pruning off extraneous growth from the bottom
of the plants - everything with no flower buds at the terminals gets cut off.  that allows
for better air circulation at the base of the plant, and those branches will never produce
a significant amount of pods if they haven't started budding already.

The other ongoing chore at this moment is tying up the long, heavy branches on the
larger plant', some are approaching four feet in length and I'm afraid when rains come
for real, that the branches will break off.

In the meantime, I'll just fill some space with these for those who haven't seen my blog.

A general shot of the back guard and about 40% of the pepper grow at the far end and on the right:

backyardpan7_14a_zps8eb88dd4.jpg

A little early Summer candy:
DSCN0566a_zpse1376c4a.jpg

Again, really glad to see the PNW grow log and the fine contributions posted here!
Welcome, you're getting a lot of ripe pods already. Is this normal to be getting that many ripe pods this time of the year in your part of Oregon?

I've been considering cutting off the lower branches myself, but couldn't decide either way. A little chicken, too. With the square foot garden I have, it would make watering and fertilizing easier. On the other hand, the lower leaves provide shade to the root zone. Then again...my plants are so close together, that the ground is pretty well shaded except for the east side edge. Hmm, I could convince myself either way. Is there any down side to that lower branch pruning?

Roguejim said:
Welcome, you're getting a lot of ripe pods already. Is this normal to be getting that many ripe pods this time of the year in your part of Oregon?

I've been considering cutting off the lower branches myself, but couldn't decide either way. A little chicken, too. With the square foot garden I have, it would make watering and fertilizing easier. On the other hand, the lower leaves provide shade to the root zone. Then again...my plants are so close together, that the ground is pretty well shaded except for the east side edge. Hmm, I could convince myself either way. Is there any down side to that lower branch pruning?

trim the leaves of the lower branches but the leave the branches themselves alone. That will get you the space you want without risking loss of pods. Leave any nodes alone also

LowDrag said:
So here is a twist to my pepper garden.  I told everyone that my wife bought me a Chia Master Gardener set to start with.  One of the four packs of seeds was supposed to be Jalapeno's but this is what is growing.  Any ideas?

These things are starting to look like Hungarian Wax Peppers.  I just went out and looked at them this morning and the one in the picture is getting to be almost 5" long now with the others catching up quickly.  I have some other pic's to post but I have to transfer them off of my phone.

Just a few quick pod, and garden photos.  I tied up a couple of aji plants, but couldn't get to one that was surrounded by the others.  It shouldn't matter, anyway.  They're holding each other up, I think!

Bhuts.  I think I have about 20 pods so far between two plants.

Another Giant Yellow 7-Pot (romy6).  A snake of a tail on this one.

Bishop's Crown/Orchid PI.

I had a cross last year that I named Big Red, not knowing what it was.  It produced at least 30 pods.  I took some seeds from one of the pods, and grew it out this year.  The plant is smaller, but is still podding up pretty good, so far.

Scorpion Tongues ripening, finally.

Me and my Aji Pancay.  Tallest plant in the garden, (I'm 6'2") and I don't think it has a single flower on it.

Jungle Jim.

A puny harvest of habs, Thais, and a mystery pod.

Paul - I agree w/ Jim.  How did you get so many ripe pods up in Washington county?  I have nothing like that here in Forest Grove.

Roguejim said:

Back