• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

FGpepperguy said:

I took some photos of the glue process last night and I will post them in the growing peppers area.  Here is what I did to pickle pepperoncinis.  

Recipe (taken from http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2126147/pickling-pepperoncinis):

4 Pint jars, canning rings and lids
sliced peppers, hot banana, pepperoncini, jalapenos, big Jim, or whatever kind you want to use, If you use whole peppers, cut a large slit in the sides of each one so brine can get inside.
1 1/2 quarts water (6 cups)
2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup pickling salt
In clean jars, place the sliced peppers, filling each jar about 3/4 full to allow room for peppers to expand.
Mix the water, vinegar, and pickling salt and bring to a boil.
Pour boiling brine over the peppers to 1/2 inch from the top of the jar. Place 2 jars at a time in microwaveand heat on high for about one minute. Immediately, Seal the jars with the canning lids that have been boiling in a pan of water.
set the jars on a towel on the kitchen counter. They should seal on their own at this point. They will keep at room temperature for at least a year. Keep out of bright light to preserve color. If they don't seal, place jars in refrigerator and use within 3 months of opening jars.

attachicon.gif
20150714_172814.jpg
attachicon.gif
20150714_173920.jpg
attachicon.gif
20150715_073529.jpg

There are folks much more knowledgeable about canning that I am on this forum, but I was under the impression that canning in the microwave is a big no-no?

I'm pulling 1 or 2 pods a day now.  Nothing too impressive but still tasty.  This year has been interesting, most of my plants skipped the whole 1st round baby pod thing and went straight into full sized pods (not that I'm complaining).  My Fatalii gave me a couple baby pods, but that was it. 

Left to Right: 2 Congo Trinidads, Yellow Fatalii, Aji Verde, Trinidad Scotch Bonnet

IMG_2732.jpg

blorvak said:
There are folks much more knowledgeable about canning that I am on this forum, but I was under the impression that canning in the microwave is a big no-no?
I've seen foks here use this system before, minus the time in the microwave, and no pressure cooker. I think it might be called cold canning. The boiling liquid sanitizes, and if the acidity is high enough, it should be good to go. This method makes for crisper veggies. This is how I remember the discussion here, anyway.

Roguejim said:
I've seen foks here use this system before, minus the time in the microwave, and no pressure cooker. I think it might be called cold canning. The boiling liquid sanitizes, and if the acidity is high enough, it should be good to go. This method makes for crisper veggies. This is how I remember the discussion here, anyway.

We make refrigerator pickles every year using boiling water, and it's a great method. They keep forever in the fridge. I just wouldn't trust keeping them at room temp, as that recipe that FGPepperguy posted claimed you could do.

I was curious, so I looked up some info on the OSU extension site. Relevant quote: "The microwave cannot be used to safely can either acid or low acid foods."

I'm sure it wouldn't kill ya to keep them on the shelf, but I wouldn't do it. Then again, I'm paranoid  :P

blorvak said:
We make refrigerator pickles every year using boiling water, and it's a great method. They keep forever in the fridge. I just wouldn't trust keeping them at room temp, as that recipe that FGPepperguy posted claimed you could do.

I was curious, so I looked up some info on the OSU extension site. Relevant quote: "The microwave cannot be used to safely can either acid or low acid foods."

I'm sure it wouldn't kill ya to keep them on the shelf, but I wouldn't do it. Then again, I'm paranoid  :P
I don't think the microwave, in this instance, is meant to be a way to "can" anything. Frankly, I don't see the point of it at all, unless someone used it as a precaution for some reason. To my mind, it's a needless step that can't hurt. I wouldn't bother with it myself, and yes, I would refrigerate the jars. Can you give us the refrigerator pickle recipe?

Roguejim said:
I don't think the microwave, in this instance, is meant to be a way to "can" anything. Frankly, I don't see the point of it at all, unless someone used it as a precaution for some reason. To my mind, it's a needless step that can't hurt. I wouldn't bother with it myself, and yes, I would refrigerate the jars. Can you give us the refrigerator pickle recipe?
Sure! It's a recipe my Mom has been perfecting for years:

Recipe for about 4 quarts:
4 qts (it's about a pound of cucumbers per quart) pickling cucumbers, rinsed well and 1/16 of the blossom end removed
16 large garlic cloves peeled
4 heads fresh dill, halved or cut to fit jar
12-16 dried red peppers, long or short
Brine:
1 quart cider vinegar, make sure it's pure cider vinegar not cider flavored vinegar. There is a difference. Fred's has the qts of real cider vinegar. 
1 quart water
1/4 cup pickling spices. Winco has these in bulk, it's the only way to buy them.
1/3 cup pickling salt 
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
1 cup chopped fresh dill from the stalks of the dill bunch

Make sure jars are clean. I run my through the dishwasher but we don't sterilize. If the cucs are too large, you may want to cut them to fit in the jars. We get the medium size cucs and stuff them into the jars.  Into each jar put 4 garlic cloves, 4 peppers, and the dill heads. Pack the cucs into the jars and make the brine. The brine is what makes these so good. Prepare the brine by combining the vinegar, water, pickling spices, salt, sugar, turmeric and 1 cup chopped dill. I just add the leftover stalks from the  bunch of dill cut to fit the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain off the seasonings from the brine. I just put a strainer that fits over the jar to catch the spices. Ladle the hot brine into each jar then I wipe the rims and put the lids and rings on. I put boiling water over my lids and rings right before I'm ready to pour the brine. I leave about 1/2 inch of head space. Let cool to room temperature and store in fridge. 

The pickles can be eaten 2 weeks after pickling but I keep them until Christmas and then start opening them. You should try them after 2 weeks and see if you like them. They are more like deli pickles at this stage. Tasty too. 

blorvak said:

4 qts (it's about a pound of cucumbers per quart) pickling cucumbers, rinsed well and 1/16 of the blossom end removed
Brine:
1 quart cider vinegar, make sure it's pure cider vinegar not cider flavored vinegar. There is a difference. Fred's has the qts of real cider vinegar. 
1 quart water
1/4 cup pickling spices. Winco has these in bulk, it's the only way to buy them.
1/3 cup pickling salt 
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric

Make sure jars are clean. I run my through the dishwasher but we don't sterilize. If the cucs are too large, you may want to cut them to fit in the jars. We get the medium size cucs and stuff them into the jars.  Into each jar put 4 garlic cloves, 4 peppers, and the dill heads. Pack the cucs into the jars and make the brine. The brine is what makes these so good. Prepare the brine by combining the vinegar, water, pickling spices, salt, sugar, turmeric and 1 cup chopped dill. I just add the leftover stalks from the  bunch of dill cut to fit the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain off the seasonings from the brine. I just put a strainer that fits over the jar to catch the spices. Ladle the hot brine into each jar then I wipe the rims and put the lids and rings on. I put boiling water over my lids and rings right before I'm ready to pour the brine. I leave about 1/2 inch of head space. Let cool to room temperature and store in fridge. 

The pickles can be eaten 2 weeks after pickling but I keep them until Christmas and then start opening them. You should try them after 2 weeks and see if you like them. They are more like deli pickles at this stage. Tasty too.
Fabulous! Thank you.

Well, some of my plants are podding up again for round 2, mostly Scotch Bonnets, and some annuums.  Some flowering, as well.  I've had some weird growth very much like this here: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/55881-pretty-sure-ive-got-some-herbicide-damage-here/#entry1196119 My answer, thus far, is to do nothing.  My plants are still growing, flowering, podding...I guess I don't care too much.  I briefly tried a sliver of an SB7J straight off the plant.  It was quickly spit onto the ground at the first indication of fire, which was immediate!  Nasty pod... 

Anyway, I just got through applying some home made fert comprised of composted chicken manure, and alfalfa meal.  Mix 1 cup each per 1 gallon of water, and let sit for 24 hours.  Give it a stir whenever it is convenient.  If the plants respond as I think they will, this will be the most inexpensive fert known to man. :confused:  I just run the drip system for 15 minutes to open the soil capillaries, then pour on the fert.

The chicken manure runs $3 per 25lbs. http://www.stutzman-environmental.com/fert-supgreen.php 
Alfalfa meal runs $21 per 80lbs.

Simmering, and stinky.

Straining through a pillow case.

Mmm...

Ready to go.

Jim,

I am looking forward to hearing about the results of this new liquid fertilizer you just made.   As for that weird growth, I get that every year on some plants and am not sure what the heck it is.  I do notice that it mostly seems to effect my Chinense plants and not the Annuums.  Sometimes it will effect one plant and none of the other plants right next to it.  Not sure what it is, have been told it is most likely Roundup, but I am not sure where the heck it is coming from.  It eventually clears up, but I don't know how much it sets the plant back.

looks like you are having a great year so far!

blorvak said:

Brine:
1 quart water
1/3 cup pickling salt 
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric

I will have to try this recipe soon!
Roguejim said:
Well, some of my plants are podding up again for round 2, mostly Scotch Bonnets, and some annuums.  Some flowering, as well.  I've had some weird growth very much like this here: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/55881-pretty-sure-ive-got-some-herbicide-damage-here/#entry1196119 My answer, thus far, is to do nothing.  My plants are still growing, flowering, podding...I guess I don't care too much.  I briefly tried a sliver of an SB7J straight off the plant.  It was quickly spit onto the ground at the first indication of fire, which was immediate!  Nasty pod... 

Anyway, I just got through applying some home made fert comprised of composted chicken manure, and alfalfa meal.  Mix 1 cup each per 1 gallon of water, and let sit for 24 hours.  Give it a stir whenever it is convenient.  If the plants respond as I think they will, this will be the most inexpensive fert known to man. :confused:  I just run the drip system for 15 minutes to open the soil capillaries, then pour on the fert.

The chicken manure runs $3 per 25lbs. http://www.stutzman-environmental.com/fert-supgreen.php 
Alfalfa meal runs $21 per 80lbs.

Simmering, and stinky.

Straining through a pillow case.

Mmm...

Ready to go.
I will have to see if my local farm and garden store has the meal and manure.  What do you do with the leftover alfalfa meal?  Just toss it in the garden?

I don't have many pods yet. I had massive blossom drop for three weeks during the heat. I am still experiencing quite a bit of it. I have some plant that wont flower sitting right next to plants that are flowing...weird. 

Yellow Brainstrain

IMG_47131_zps9t3j6tw6.jpg

Yellow 7 Pot
IMG_47141_zpslzhzmig9.jpg

The big Jonah 7 Pot in they Hydro system. Easily the biggest and healthiest plant. I expect triple digit pods when it starts fruiting. 
IMG_47151_zpsbkrsfi6r.jpg

Yellow 7 Pots looks different than the other one
IMG_47161_zpscpb70x2z.jpg

Lemon Habanero
IMG_47171_zps8fhuzwrg.jpg

fuzzy Cayenne
IMG_47181_zpsttcygqa0.jpg

Five foot tall Manzano with no flowers. Why? Only god knows...
IMG_47201_zpsgk33nthf.jpg

Black Pearl...great ornamental
IMG_47231_zpsmo6fkk9m.jpg

IMG_47221_zpsvhqvw0g3.jpg

FGpepperguy said:
I will have to try this recipe soon!
I will have to see if my local farm and garden store has the meal and manure.  What do you do with the leftover alfalfa meal?  Just toss it in the garden?
I'm too lazy to put it around the plants, so yeah, I toss it. If I was going to spread it around, though, I would use the fresh stuff out of the bag. I also use the alfalfa meal as one of my soil amendments prior to plant out in Spring. A guy at the local hydroponic shop recommended since rabbits eat it, and we know how good their manure is. I buy Rogue brand alfalfa meal at Grange Co-op.
ColdSmoke said:
I don't have many pods yet. I had massive blossom drop for three weeks during the heat. I am still experiencing quite a bit of it. I have some plant that wont flower sitting right next to plants that are flowing...weird. 

Yellow Brainstrain

IMG_47131_zps9t3j6tw6.jpg

Yellow 7 Pot
IMG_47141_zpslzhzmig9.jpg

The big Jonah 7 Pot in they Hydro system. Easily the biggest and healthiest plant. I expect triple digit pods when it starts fruiting. 
IMG_47151_zpsbkrsfi6r.jpg

Yellow 7 Pots looks different than the other one
IMG_47161_zpscpb70x2z.jpg

Lemon Habanero
IMG_47171_zps8fhuzwrg.jpg

fuzzy Cayenne
IMG_47181_zpsttcygqa0.jpg

Five foot tall Manzano with no flowers. Why? Only god knows...
IMG_47201_zpsgk33nthf.jpg

Black Pearl...great ornamental
IMG_47231_zpsmo6fkk9m.jpg

IMG_47221_zpsvhqvw0g3.jpg
You have killer plants, man. Will you have lemon hab seeds available? It's weird how different plants react to the heat. I've learned, next season, (if I grow anything) to plant the MOAs and Bahamian Goats in the back row, behind taller plants. Those big old leaves on the MOAs, especially, take a beating from the sun. This has been the worst season for crosses, yet. I think I'll be chucking a lot of seeds, and starting fresh. One plant, that was supposed to be a choc hand grenade hab, has been almost continuously podding. And, the latest pods look nothing like the previous ones.

Looking at how many pods are popping on the Lemon Hab plant I should be able send out some seeds to whoever wants them. I can't guarantee they haven't been crossed but this plant in particular is not next to anything that has flowers. 

Jim,

Funny you should mention weird crosses.   I picked 4 pods off my Bahamian Goat peppers and they all look just like a red Congo.  I have so many kinds close together and the bees (especially the bumble bees) are going from plant to plan, so I am sure I have a lot of mixed up hybrids.  I figure next year I will just start fresh with plenty of new seeds from Judy.   I did manage to get 4-5 very small orange pods off my BOC.  Not the right shape yet, but the flavor and heat was sure there!.

I got some really weird looking Jalapenos that seem to have been crossed with something, but it sure wasn't another Jalapeno.  I was sampling my early Jalapeno pods (several varieties) as the first wave of them every year are pretty mild.  I grabbed a Biker Billy Jalapeno and it lit me up pretty good.  I got to figure they will end up quite a bit hotter than some of the others.

Bill

Wow Jim! looking sweet buddie! I had to restart to whole batch but, lets see what comes off of it. I mentioned to you I lost the whole crop for the fam emergency a few months back but this is where I'm at for the moment. This is my second start up after I lost the whole first batch.
20150724_1309161.jpg

20150719_1006201.jpg

20150724_1308011.jpg

I didnt make the air pots like I wanted to,. Been busy with other things on the grilling thread. You guys are rocking thou!

Organic Pepper

It is looking pretty good to me for a restart.

You got to have balance and it sounds like you got it covered.  Peppers, Family, Grilling,  In any order!

Roguejim said:
What does a Red Congo look like?  I suspect my Congos are not true, either.
Jim,  Here is a picture from last years harvest.   They are pretty similar to a Habanero.  They do vary a bit in shape, but most of them have pleats or ribbing from top to bottom around the circumference.  Hope I am describing them OK.
This is a picture of the Black, yellow and Red Congos from last year.

9-22-14pick006_zpse89f77fe.jpg

organic pepper said:
Wow Jim! looking sweet buddie! I had to restart to whole batch but, lets see what comes off of it. I mentioned to you I lost the whole crop for the fam emergency a few months back but this is where I'm at for the moment. This is my second start up after I lost the whole first batch.
attachicon.gif
20150724_1309161.jpg
attachicon.gif
20150719_1006201.jpg
attachicon.gif
20150724_1308011.jpg
I didnt make the air pots like I wanted to,. Been busy with other things on the grilling thread. You guys are rocking thou!
Good for you, Aaron. You're tougher than me. So, you got a smoker? Scratch that question. I'm reading through your grilling thread now. How are you liking the smoke profile from the Texas Elite?
bpwilly said:
Organic Pepper

It is looking pretty good to me for a restart.

You got to have balance and it sounds like you got it covered.  Peppers, Family, Grilling,  In any order!

Jim,  Here is a picture from last years harvest.   They are pretty similar to a Habanero.  They do vary a bit in shape, but most of them have pleats or ribbing from top to bottom around the circumference.  Hope I am describing them OK.
This is a picture of the Black, yellow and Red Congos from last year.

9-22-14pick006_zpse89f77fe.jpg
Hahahahahahaha!!!!! I do believe I might have another cross. We'll see how the 2nd round pods turn out.

Back