• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tutorial The Pest Guide

What Threat Level would you rate Broad Mites 1-10? Concider damage, control, prevention, and how ann

Votes: 6 8.7%

Votes: 3 4.3%

Votes: 9 13.0%

Votes: 12 17.4%

Votes: 16 23.2%

Votes: 23 33.3%

• Total voters
Der Metzgermeister said:
Anyone know what this insect is? I'm located in Eastern Ontario, if that helps at all.

http://bayimg.com/caPoHAAfF
I am not a insect expert, but almost every weevil I have seen has a body shape like that.  Does it have a long beak/snout?   Look up weevil in Google and check out the pictures link.

bpwilly said:
I am not a insect expert, but almost every weevil I have seen has a body shape like that.  Does it have a long beak/snout?   Look up weevil in Google and check out the pictures link.
I thought it looked like a weevil too, but the snout was short enough and broad enough to make me wonder. Is it possibly a black vine weevil?

j780t0.jpg

295z98x.jpg

10f2820.jpg

Curious as to what insect this is. Found my chilies getting chomped on this morning and searching for the culprit. Any help would be appreciated.

i have a Praying Mantis in an aphid infested shrub near my front door.

When i first saw it i was excited because i know that they are carnivorous and eat a lot of garden pests. i live in an apartment and the Landscapers trim the shrubs often so when i saw the Praying Mantis again on the same shrub i called it Lucky because it had survived.

After a few weeks of seeing it daily i began to wonder why it had not cleared the shrub of aphids and for that matter why the Lady Bugs i was releasing every week on the plant were not clearing the shrub of aphids. All the other nearby Shrubs (Pyracantha) were fairly clear of the little pests.

So i began to watch the shrub closely and after i watched the Mantis eat a few Lady bugs and found that the weekly 30 or so Lady Bugs i released on the shrub are actually the food source for the Praying Mantis.

The Mantis is an adult so i am not sure if younger Mantis's eat aphids.

In conclusion it is my opinion that Adult Praying Mantis’s eat Lady Bugs and are not a good aphid fighter.  

A very good read for anyone implementing biological controls. I came across it trying to figure out whether the ladybugs naturally congregating on me plant are going to shred any cucumeris I apply. Very little information out there on biocontrol interactions.

Particularily of note is the predatory interaction of skirskii with cucumeris, where skirskii will forgoe a feast of thrips to feed on cucumeris young.

If anyone has any similar information to share, I would enjoy browsing it.

A good general read on predator mites

borolo said:

Iguanas

Threat level: 6
Control: traps
Biological Control: none
Prevention: Don't have trees nearby
Damage caused: eats plant to the grownd, if plant survives, it will suffer from aphid infestation. 

Just when I thought that the slugs up here were bad, I see something like this and I feel very fortunate!

LOL :rofl:

bpwilly said:

Just when I thought that the slugs up here were bad, I see something like this and I feel very fortunate!

LOL :rofl:
JAJA, I had to buid a fort with ckicken wire to keep them out.

I felt safe but then I saw them jumping from the mango tree nearby and caught a few inside. This is what my bhut was reduced to. Ants also took a toll later on, the eat the leaves and harvest aphids. With my weather of 30°c all year I should have no problems in keeping for a long time the plants but....

ig.jpg

This is my 2014 bhut (planted on august). so far no issues, had to place a cover for birds!, can you imagine, there is a certain type of bird that eats the leaves. 

20140929_123735.jpg

And it´s not like I live on the woods or anything, It's in the middle of the city. Let´s see how this year goes.

Well, this does make my little issues with bugs and slugs feel a bit minor.   Well, I wish you luck this year as it sure seems like your pests are a whole dimension bigger than what we need to worry about up here.

Does make me laugh when I think about this! :rofl:

miguelovic said:
A Pest Starves on a Healthy Plant

Posted this in the OZ thread, but figured here was just as well.

My first season growing peppers, I made a mistake with my raised bed by putting down a layer of green/yellow leaves to the soil surface in the Fall, and then covering it again with a mulch.  When I planted again in Spring, I noticed my plants weren't growing much.  I pulled back the mulch to discover the leaves had turned brown, and had formed a mat that was choking out the plants.  They hadn't broken down in 7 months.  I then removed the mat, and the plants proceeded to grow, but remained stunted.  I had zero aphids all season.  This season my plants were much bigger and healthier, and I had aphids almost beyond my control.  I have no answer except that I will try plants that are beneficial to predatory bugs. 

Interesting. I posted that more as food for thought. A bit of natural selection. I think if growing a healthy plant were all it took to avoid pest and pathogen, gardening and horticulture would be much easier :P

Curious you mention aphids, the article below is what brought me here to post. Has little bearing on control, but those inclined to learn about pest habits may find it interesting. Also one of very few examples of Science Direct offering an article as a whole. Bloody paywall. Firm believer that research and development should be open source.

Ladybird footprints induce aphid avoidance behavior

Hi Cayennemist,

Maybe the below can be edited/added to the aphid natural control?

Aphid
Threat level:
Biological Control: This was suggested to me by a landscaper: Pan fry 2 tbsp canola oil, 4 x hab pods, 1/2 cup water & 1 tbsp garlic for 30 mins. Strain all the liquid and squeeze juices from the pods into a container. Mix roughly 1 part mixture with roughly 5 parts water (im not liable for plant damage because of incorrect concentration as this is an estimate so maybe start with a 1/10 ratio and see if it works). Spray a mist over chili plants. Worked incredibly well for me and I managed to get rid of thousands of aphids on all my plants. Im guessing garlic is the biggest deterrent here as it was also suggested to grow wild garlic near all the plants. From what ive read most poisons (which I have avoided) dont actually work well killing the aphid as they have a probiscus. I also tried the dishwash solution which actually burnt my plant leaves cause of incorrect ratio (again a chemical) to which I was informed Borax is another better soap solution which I personally didnt get to try as the natural cooked mixture worked for me.
Prevention: This apparently depends on the type of ants but nuking ants around my plants seemed to control my infestation aswell: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphid#Ant_mutualism . http://www.nip-it.co.za/usage.html worked well for me but is a local product.
Damage caused:

Back