• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tutorial The Pest Guide

What Threat Level would you rate Broad Mites 1-10? Concider damage, control, prevention, and how ann

Votes: 6 8.7%

Votes: 3 4.3%

Votes: 9 13.0%

Votes: 12 17.4%

Votes: 16 23.2%

Votes: 23 33.3%

• Total voters
Justinm951 said:
I need help. i've looked everywhere and tried to find a forum to ask for help. i have an infestation around my pepper plants. these suckers look like these they use to be smaller and grey. i also have pantry moths flying around but these little copper colored guys are everywhere. help me indentify these so i can get rid of them please. D: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=850858978341163&set=a.251412114952522.56799.100002512067593&type=1&theater
Dont know what that is exactly but THIS will kill it :P

Hehehe.

Looks (keyword) like an adult root aphid (the twin tailpipes are distinctive) though a better pictures would be confirm/reject that theory. Proper ID is very important considering the harsh treatment potentially required.

Have yet to see that pest pop up on this forum but I may have missed it. They're the scourge of cannabis growers, the mutant offspring of Satan and a soul-less ginger as legend has it. Famous for having almost wiped out the European wine grape industry in the late 19th century.

Acephate seems to be highly effective and has a very short half life. Haven't dealt with them myself but they're definitely one of those pests where half measures and hippy AACT/neem cocktails go out the window.

Hang sticky traps to catch any fliers for good pictures of winged adults (if any).

If you grow tomatoes near your peppers, you will probably have the dreaded tomato worm
Well there is a beneficial wasp (larva) that attacks these large green tomato worms.
here are a few photos I took this afternoon.

The wasp larva look like white rice attached to the green tomato / tobacco worm

tomato%20worm%20wasp_zps9v0pgjiz.jpg

tomato%20worm%20wasp3_zpspqpx5ezx.jpg

tomato%20worm%20wasp2_zpsgzsaqgyp.jpg

Hi,

I'm new at growing peppers and also at this forum. This is my second season with popper plant. Last year there was no problem. But today I saw bugs on my 2 plants. I googled it and cannot find anything about the bug but I found this forum. It has white dots on its back, and it's black.

I'm trying to add image to the post but I cannot do it. If someone tells me how to upload images to the forum I can upload it and you can help me better. Thanks

Any info on fruit flies? I've got a few multiplying on one of my container soils and in the saucer underneath. They seem to be similar danger as fungus gnats but any further into is appreciated!

Someone can help me identify these? It's my first time growing chilis from seed indoors. These bugs are worrying me! It's not in all pots. Half maybe

http://imgur.com/jR3jESv

They started appearing right after first fertilisation as if they are trying to escape. Larvae as well as other bug. Probably its parents giving larvae birth as a last will

Thanks

Pic from nebbul's link/post above:

jR3jESv.jpg

@nebbul fwiw in order to post a picture that is already uploaded to the web, simply right click on the picture (on the uploaded/original site) - click "copy image location" - and when you're posting on this forum, click the picture icon and paste the link which you had just copied. A lot of people won't click external links for security reasons. Hope that helps.

Could those be fungus gnat maggots? Is your soil usually wet? Can you see those things moving?

If so, I recommend some mosquito dunks mixed into a few waterings and let at least the top inch of soil dry completely between watering/feeding.

I usually recommend at least three consecutive/regular applications for 90% of all pest problems. Like with neem, I hit them once every three days for three applications minimum. But that is for neem. For the dunks, I would just do each watering for three times.

I may not be the best grower/farmer in the world, but I do very well in the fight against pests. I've battled quite a few over the years.

PS - welcome to the forum!!

Thanks for linking the picture for me! Seems to me that the soil I had might have gone bad. I did the repotting in two stages where the first batch seem to be better off and less/ not at all affected. Soil I had standing outside on my balcony, sealed. Might been a week between potting the two batches

These little white larvae and bugs decided to jump off the pot side and land on the floor to eventually die. Suicidal much?

Will follow mrgrowguy's tip and treat them as fungus gnats. Will stop watering and investigate when soil is dried up. Let's see if I can exterminate them. First challenge of being a chili gardener!

Thanks for the help!

mrgrowguy said:

Threat level: 7
Control: ***1 tbsp Dawn original dish soap mixed with 1 gal water - kills aphids dead***
Biological Control:
Prevention:
Damage caused:

What type of container do you put the mix into? 5 gallon bucket?

Coreyviper said:

LOL, back then I actually did 1/4 the amount and used a drinking water bottle with a pin-hole in the cap. Squeeze the bottle and instant ghetto sprayer. I now use a 2 gallon (commercial-ish) pump sprayer.

If you're talking about submerging your plant (just guessing here) then the 5 gallon might work if you have a small plant to dip. Should work better than just spraying.

Trick is to spray (or dunk) it every 3 or so days for at least 3 applications. That's my minimal rule for spraying plants for bugs.

Coreyviper said:
Updated the original post, thank you!

mrgrowguy said:

I-HO-MEUP-NM.006.jpg

Threat level: 7

Control: ***1 tbsp Dawn original dish soap mixed with 1 gal water - kills aphids dead***  OR Neem oil (coats soft bodied insects and basically suffocates them, so application must be direct)

Biological Control: Assassin bugs, lacewing larvae, lady bugs (aphids are too small for most praying mantes)

Prevention: Neem - preventative spraying (not as aggressive as trying to control an infestation); keep area clear of dead or fallen leaves, utilize pest control on surrounding areas (I use a systemic insecticide on ornamentals that surround my peppers - of course, make sure none of it gets on or near the pepper itself - never use systemics on edible plants)

Damage caused: Sap Suckers - will cause leaf loss and could possibly lead to plant death

Smaller plants can be dunked in a bucket with neem solution, spraying works well just be sure to get the entire plant, top and bottom of leaves.

Spray every 3 days for at least 3 total applications.

What I use for a sprayer (click)

Back