• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tutorial The Pest Guide

What Threat Level would you rate Broad Mites 1-10? Concider damage, control, prevention, and how ann

Votes: 6 8.7%

Votes: 3 4.3%

Votes: 9 13.0%

Votes: 12 17.4%

Votes: 16 23.2%

Votes: 23 33.3%

• Total voters
PepperWhisperer said:
Fungus gnats details and control methods: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7448.html

Highlights from the Biological control section:
Nematode species Steinernema feltiae
Predatory mite species Hypoaspis miles
Bacterium species Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis (Bti)

I'm dealing with these vile creatures now. Applied Bti 3 days ago, too early for definitive results. 

It takes awhile to get results, as it only effects on stage of their lifecycle. It took roughly 3-4 weeks to gain control, supplementing with sticky traps to catch adults.

Hi guys! I just noticed aphids today. I'm always checking the plants so I've caught this on the start, which helps I am sure. I did the first step to spray them down with some high pressure water to just get them off the plant, and after some inspection, it looks good so far. I will do it again tomorrow and if they are still there after day 3 I will use the soap and water mix to finish off the last ones.

I would really like to prevent this type of thing happening again and I'd like to buy some ladybugs to put in the green house. However, I am in Germany and the US sources won't work. Does anyone in Western Europe have a source for ladybugs? Thanks all!

it's been really wet around here and I haven't been able to dry the soil of my outdoor plants. It's been almost impossible to rid my soil of these fungus gnats. I think they are stunting my plants and it's pissing me off! Going to be 80 today and 95 tomorrow so hopefully that will help. The problem is I need to feed my plants since they have been flushed with all the rain. This will make the medium wet again...damn!

ColdSmoke said:
it's been really wet around here and I haven't been able to dry the soil of my outdoor plants. It's been almost impossible to rid my soil of these fungus gnats. I think they are stunting my plants and it's pissing me off! Going to be 80 today and 95 tomorrow so hopefully that will help. The problem is I need to feed my plants since they have been flushed with all the rain. This will make the medium wet again...damn!
Try some local humic soil from a patch of old growth. That shoul have some good preditors in it.

Cayennemist said:
Try some local humic soil from a patch of old growth. That shoul have some good preditors in it.
Interesting idea, I have never heard of this.  So you just get some of the soil from under the ground duff and just spread it around the base of your plants?  I am going to be heading up into the foothills soon, so this might be something I can just pick up in a few 5 gallon buckets.

bpwilly said:
Interesting idea, I have never heard of this.  So you just get some of the soil from under the ground duff and just spread it around the base of your plants?  I am going to be heading up into the foothills soon, so this might be something I can just pick up in a few 5 gallon buckets.
The well established ecosystem should help balance out yours.

Cayennemist said:
The well established ecosystem should help balance out yours.
Ok, thanks, I think I am finally catching on. I don't think I will ever get the perfect environment, but need to strive for the balanced one. Maybe that will be my perfect one. Thanks for the info and by extension, the wisdom!  Guess I am starting to understand why my chemical warfare in the past just never worked for to long. I am slow but starting to catch on.

bpwilly said:
Ok, thanks, I think I am finally catching on. I don't think I will ever get the perfect environment, but need to strive for the balanced one. Maybe that will be my perfect one. Thanks for the info and by extension, the wisdom!  Guess I am starting to understand why my chemical warfare in the past just never worked for to long. I am slow but starting to catch on.
Exactly!!! Balance Is the key. Pesticides throw it off doing more damage in the long run.

Good Morning :) I'm unbelievably upset this morning.

Yesterday I saw the hook of my only successful germ of my purple bhut in my potted and popped seed tray appearing through just the top of the soil.

This morning, barely 12 hours later, there was nothing but an impression in the dirt where some lowlife scum of the earth bug dug up and took my plant.

It was.. kind of near an ant trail.

But really, there was a little hole like something took out the rootball and a tiny chunk of dirt with it. I scoured the soil and only found the seed case and my own despair.

I live in Southern California, the tray was covered from birds and I didn't see a slime trail.

What do you guys think? They were just black ants and I haven't identified them properly.

And this also solves the mystery of why I haven't had some come out of the soil..

Edit: Botany/Ag friend of mine thinks mice could have done it though I think the space is a bit narrow and the damage a little ungeneralized, but I don't know what mice activities look like in the garden. Maybe they are stealthy cheek stuffing *%$..things.

I have a large population of clover mites (Bryobia Praetiosa) on my plants. Many people refer to the small bright red, quick moving "spiders" as red spider mites. I think this is inaccurate. Can someone clear this up for me?

Also - best method for removing them?

What are these??!!

HviCQwD.jpg

Found it.  They are Nymph of the leaffooted bug.  Now to research these little buggers!

Sorry I havent updated this page in a while. I have been busy as hell with work. It would help me emencely if you guys made pest reports that I can add in to the guide. Here is how to format it.

@Millwork: feel free to update this thread if you want

From the original post:

Please feel free to help create this resource wiki style. Post below using the following format:

(cut and paste  the "PEST REPORT" in to your post ;) )

Pest Report

Pest name IMG

Threat level:  1-10
Biological Control: Organic
Prevention:
Damage caused:

Add a picture URL so that I can link it to the guide. with a [ IMG ] tag

Thanks for your help.

Pest name Leafhopper

1fca06.jpg

Threat level:  1-4
Control: Chemical
Biological Control: Organic - Diatomaceous Earth, beneficial insects, insecticides. 
Prevention: Row Covers
Damage causedTheir toxic saliva causes spotting (white specks), yellowing, leaf curling, stunting and distortion of plants. They are also responsible for transmitting the organisms causing virus diseases in plants. 

ColdSmoke said:

Pest name Leafhopper

1fca06.jpg

Threat level:  1-4
Control: Chemical
Biological Control: Organic - Diatomaceous Earth, beneficial insects, insecticides. 
Prevention: Row Covers
Damage causedTheir toxic saliva causes spotting (white specks), yellowing, leaf curling, stunting and distortion of plants. They are also responsible for transmitting the organisms causing virus diseases in plants. 

Perfect!  Added

DamonlBeaty said:
What are these??!!

HviCQwD.jpg

Found it.  They are Nymph of the leaffooted bug.  Now to research these little buggers!
look like assassin bugs, if so, they're friendly. look up Arilus cristatus nymph and see if it matches them.  the wheel bug

Back