• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

The Philster Splatocaster Rebuild

Proud Marine Dad said:
Their site says,"Wood is the heart of a guitar,the source of its sound and beauty."

In an acoustic yes. In an electric the wood means nothing as far as sound. ;)
Ok, than why not use balsa wood for all electric guitar bodies......cuz it sounds like shit!    
 Lets all buy acrylic body guitars........Blaaahh!  

PepTalk said:
Ok, than why not use balsa wood for all electric guitar bodies......cuz it sounds like shit!    
 Lets all buy acrylic body guitars........Blaaahh!
Research it! There are people who have removed the neck from the body and strung it up and it sounds the same.
Don't buy into the BS manufacturers tell you. Balsa wood? Get real dude.

Watch these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1mH5hwLkxCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mVmFlzksMCE

There are many others.

I'll keep this short because I've said it ten times even writing short stories on this forum. In short of course wood doesn't make you a better player. If you are chasing tone,feel and action then wood does change things. I sold exotic lumber for years in Nashville had several guitar makers for customers, including Gibson's custom shop.I have seen with my own eyes machines and gadgets hooked up to guitars and there is a different residence with different woods. I've also played guitar for over 30 years "i suck and don't really play anymore" but I had my days where it was all I cared about. And for sure even I can tell a diffrence in feel and sound with different guitars. As far as necks there is a reason "hard maple" notice I didn't say soft maple big difference is used so much. it doesn't break and doesn't dent like soft woods. Honduras mahogany is also very popular for necks. Next thing I know you will be saying wood doesn't matter for drums. That will make me Wright a essay, lol. Play what you enjoy and enjoy what you want.

sicman said:
Next thing I know you will be saying wood doesn't matter for drums. That will make me Wright a essay, lol. Play what you enjoy and enjoy what you want.
It does make a difference in drums for the same reason it makes a difference with acoustic guitars. I do not believe that can be said of an electric guitar though as the body is solid, not hollow.

There really not solid if you think about it. Lots of guitars are chambered,then at the very least they all have spots cut out of them for pups,batteries,bridges,ect,ect.

sicman said:
There really not solid if you think about it. Lots of guitars are chambered,then at the very least they all have spots cut out of them for pups,batteries,bridges,ect,ect.

Les Pauls have lots of body relief chambers cut into them, size and shape depending on model, before the tops are put on. It plays heavily into the tone and sustain of the Les Paul. Wood does play a part in the resonance, but so does shape. In solid body electric guitars, the effect of the wood can be anywhere from minimal to highly effective, as far as resonance goes.... and it also depends on if the pickups are microphonic. That being said, most medium range (price, craftsmanship) solid body electrics are more dependent on good electronics. With higher end guitars, wood, shape, and design are an integral part to the overall tone of the guitar. The one I'm putting together will essentially be a 2 X 4 with pickups in it, so the electronics will matter... big time!

sicman said:
No they are not completely solid but they are dense enough that the strings vibrating do not transfer enough to the wood to cause a sound difference. You can disagree if you want but until I see real proof I say it's nothing but a scam that guitar companies make money off of.

You can disagree all you want. I dont see any proof. You can find a video on me tube that will show anything you want. 

Quick question how many guitars do you have?

Take some diffrent species of wood and hit them with a stick,i bet there will be diffrent noises. I wonder why?

And what is the scam? I mean if you want your fingers to feel like they are pushing concrete threw asphalt then take a baseball bat put strings on it and play that.

PMD, answer this for me:

If the wood doesn't matter, then I should be able to take any HH Stratocaster, put P94 pickups in it and it would sound just like a LP, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI1V1CmFvMA

sicman said:
Blah blah,Very last thing it says is research is not complete,lol.
At least it's real research not an opinion!
Jeff H said:
PMD, answer this for me:

If the wood doesn't matter, then I should be able to take any HH Stratocaster, put P94 pickups in it and it would sound just like a LP, right?
I don't know as you have different scale lengths there. Try it and see.

sicman said:
Blah blah,Very last thing it says is research is not complete,lol.

:rofl:

"Hey wait maybe it does make a difference. What should we do?"

"Let's say the research is not complete but use this as click bait."

:rofl:

Proud Marine Dad said:
At least it's real research not an opinion!

I don't know as you have different scale lengths there. Try it and see.

Really, scale length is your out??????? come on.

The answer is no. My Strat blacktop (while a great guitar) doesn't have the same tones or sustain as a LP. It is subtle, but there is a difference.

Back