• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

The Philster Splatocaster Rebuild

Phil said:
The thing about it is, ya never know who to trust, so you have to rely on experience. I have a book, Guitarist's Guide To Maintenance And Repair by Doug Redler and Dave Rubin.... they say to use steel wool to polish frets and lemon oil for the fretboard. Dave... not sure of his last name, but he's the bassist for Luke and the Apostles... who has a youtube channel (Dave's World Of Fun Stuff - awesome info there. He does guitar repair) says to NEVER use steel wool or lemon oil. All of these guys are in "the biz", and they all say something different. For some unfounded reason, I trust Dave. I'll be sticking to his recommendations for all of my guitar work. Too bad he doesn't have a refretting video, because I need to refret the fingerboard of the one I'm working on.
That's cool Phil and as THP said earlier there are passionate arguments from both sides of the debate.
I just want to see some scientific proof, that's all! Hearing is subjective not objective.

Yeah... licensed Floyd. I hate those little string stop blocks, but that's what came out, so that's what's going back in... unless I can convert it to a fixed bridge... hmmmm.... I won't be using tremolo... double hmmmm..... how tough would that be?

Maybe I should try to find an old Floyd Rose where the strings go through the intonation screws from the back instead of those stupid little blocks

I have an older chrome one and a newer chrome one, but I need gold

Phil said:
So, anyhoo.... I got the body re-dipped, decal added, and first coat of nitro on:

15991434548_04c1ec4c40_h.jpg
Gold hardware started coming in....
Love the colour scheme Phil!

Thanks!

I really don't like how that top left horn came out, though....

Swirling wasn't as easy as it looked on youtube

Looks good to me Phil.

Don't go too heavy on the nitro.

Too much of any 'thang is a tone killer.

Can you lock down a Floyd if you're not using it?

Played'em but never owned a guitar with 'em.

I'm a Bigsby man these days.

texas blues said:
Looks good to me Phil.

Don't go too heavy on the nitro.

Too much of any 'thang is a tone killer.

Can you lock down a Floyd if you're not using it?

Played'em but never owned a guitar with 'em.

I'm a Bigsby man these days.

You can chock, 'em, I suppose. I ain't no Dimebag Darrel or Jeff Hanneman, so I won't be doing any dive bombing on that tremolo

Phil said:

You can chock, 'em, I suppose. I ain't no Dimebag Darrel or Jeff Hanneman, so I won't be doing any dive bombing on that tremolo

I reckon you can always block it, and take off the talent bar and just use the fine tuners.

That'd work I reckon.

And ain't nobody like DD.

Ain't my music but ain't no denyin' the Texan's skills!

RIP Darrell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT2gzVlcBhE

Funny 'thang was DD loved those Randall SS amps.

I'm a tube guy.

But I always thought his tone was pretty dang good.

While not dynamic at all it had loads of chunka' chunk metal and harmonics.

Ya know, most metal guys want a Marshall stack... and I'm one of 'em... But I really want a good Mesa Boogie or a Fender Twin Reverb..... something about those

Phil said:
Ya know, most metal guys want a Marshall stack... and I'm one of 'em... But I really want a good Mesa Boogie or a Fender Twin Reverb..... something about those

I loathe Mesa's.

They're just  a hotrodded Fender.

And a twin reverb?

Are you crazy?

I love my 50w Marshall and it'll kick you right in the balls but...

A twin reverb will take your head CLEAN OFF!

I was told I was shit slinging and unprofessional in this thread. If so, I apologize. I thought it was a good debate. I'm glad it's back on track though. It was always about Phil's guitar. 

The Hot Pepper said:
I was told I was shit slinging and unprofessional in this thread. If so, I apologize. I thought it was a good debate. I'm glad it's back on track though. It was always about Phil's guitar. 

Negative.

And its on track.

And while Phil's guitar ain't my kine' of guitar, I like to be liking it because I just like guitars!

I didn't think I was out of line. But sorry to anyone who felt that way.

Back