• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking The Q is on!

Well it's about fricken time we get a weekend that's not cold, rain/snow mix, or just plain cloudy. It is a glorious day here in Minnesota! :onfire:
I had to fire up the smoker and today's menu includes pork butt. This was about 4 hours into the smoke with another 4 to go.

I'll pull it and add sauce once she's out. Add to that some baby red potatoes and a cold beer or 3 and I'll call today a success.
Hope everyone else is having a good day.

017a_sm.jpg

LUCKYDOG said:
Unique looking smoker and a great Butt shot ;)

*hmmmmm....kinda reminds me of that new guy's avatar ;)*

Gorgeous! I actually prefer cold weather for smoking though, not snow and rain, just cooler temps.

Of course my unsophisticated rig is susceptible to flare ups, so cooler incoming air is better!

LUCKYDOG said:
Unique looking smoker and a great Butt shot ;)

Just the Brinkmann ECB. It has served me well over the last couple years but I had to modify it a bit to get it to work the way I wanted. Namely I drilled 4 extra holes in the coal pan for air circulation and I added the lava rocks to the water pan to help keep the temps stable since you have to open the whole front of the smoker to get inside. Here is a shot of the whole rig.

063a_sm.jpg

Oh btw, dinner was fantastic! Wish you all could have been there.

I didnt recognize the insides --- I like them a lot. I am looking at the Smoke King as well as the vertical. I like the Smoke King features with the hangers and skewers and such....

looks like it doing a mighty fine job --- and it appears tasty

LUCKYDOG said:
I didnt recognize the insides --- I like them a lot. I am looking at the Smoke King as well as the vertical. I like the Smoke King features with the hangers and skewers and such....

looks like it doing a mighty fine job --- and it appears tasty

Ya it's a basic smoker that gets the job done. It was a gift from the folks so the price was right. Works for most things but you run into trouble when you start getting into colder temps as it's hard to maintain temps when you open the door to replace wood chips etc, which is about once an hour. It's perfect for smoking chilies and most cuts of meat.

Back