• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Spicy Meatless Thread... (ya I went there)

I know going into this that this thread is going to get meat bombed... but there's gotta be at least a couple other people on this forum that have herbivore tendencies.  Lately almost everything I have been cooking has been meat-free unless its for the dogs.  I've been toying with recipes and finding ways to get the flavors of dishes that usually have animal muscle as the main feature.  Hopefully some of y'all do the same from time to time and we can swap and share some spicy veggie recipes. I've held off on making this thread for a while because I know the ridicule that will inevitably come, but I guess its better to clog my own thread with my hippy food rather than all the other cooking threads. 

So here goes, last night per request I made some arroz congri and tostones.  

For the rice and beans, I chop up a green and red bell pepper, 2 onions and about 4-5 cloves of garlic. Cook up that in the pot before adding the rice and beans and sufficient water.  Season it up, and pretty much just leave it on the stove for a while.  I don't have any fresh pods yet so I seasoned my batch up with some smoked naga powder for good measure.  The tostones start by cooking them a bit on each side before pulling them from the pan.
q9taqF1.jpg

After the tostones are cooked and pulled from the pan you gotta squish em dip em in cold water and throw em back in the pan, for the second round of frying. When you pull them out you can season them with whatever you want, I like to make a garlicky spicy sauce concoction to dip them in.  Also, make yourself a guava-lime rum drink for good measure. 
zSz2Jqj.jpg

Eventually, after a long long time (especially if you use brown rice), your arroz congri will be ready.  
xCplazi.jpg

Happy vegetarian eating! (I also ate left overs this morning covered in cheese and a fried egg)

Let's see what you got....

chsy83 said:

I believe that the premise of this thread was not to be vegan, just to talk about meatless spicy dishes.  The above protein powder was indeed meatless, as meat is generally thought of as animal muscle tissue.  I don't know of anyone who seriously calls "milk" meat.  Animal product, yes. 

If this is all just teasing with a wink and a nod, then carry on.  If there is anybody seriously trying to argue about validity of posts . . . they need to step off.

You forgot the eggs. Those are meat.

Huh?

Chicken?

What chicken?

Hippies have only been around since the 60's.

Folks have been wearin' thumb rings for a couple thousand years.

I guess its mushrooms.

The word hippy may have just appeared in the 50s or 60's. Hippies themselves have been around since time began.

That kind of makes me think it has a spaghetti sauce type of flavor - does it? Also makes me think of grits, from a texture perspective, but with oozy bits (tomato) as well. How'd it taste?

geeme said:
That kind of makes me think it has a spaghetti sauce type of flavor - does it? Also makes me think of grits, from a texture perspective, but with oozy bits (tomato) as well. How'd it taste?

It was pretty dang good. 

The quinoa reminds me of a nutty flavored wild rice only really small. 

This one I think it to be more like a simple paella with tomato in it.

Its rather heavy but with loads of fiber and a good source of protein.

I would recommend this to anyone interested in weight loss and cleaning up their cholesterol.

texas blues said:
Less talky & more posty!

Red quinoa, olive earl, garlic, onion, jalapeno, tomato, sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

I gave it a little splooge of HBD's 1498 Cauterizer.

Pretty dang killer.

Looks pretty awesome simmering in that cast iron.

Edit: also, how do you season your cast iron? I hear bacon grease is the best, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm only asking because of how good that pan looks.

Back