• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

The thread of Creepy Crawlies

Hungry spiders:

4LGtDs3.jpg

8nEV4HZ.jpg

SCu4kfd.jpg

zHivnVY.jpg

Sawfly Larvae (Spitfire Caterpillar).
20150923_075039.jpg

These guys are real nasty, if you disturb them they'll wave their tails almost like a Mexican wave. Touch them, and they regurgitate a yellowish green liquid with a pungent aroma of Eucalyptus, which is the type of tree they feed on. They are best left alone. 

I had miss identified this guy.....
20150308_124039-1.jpg

......in a previous post. It turns out that this isn't a Cicada, but a Sawfly adult. 

SR.

Shorerider said:
Sawfly Larvae (Spitfire Caterpillar).

These guys are real nasty, if you disturb them they'll wave their tails almost like a Mexican wave. Touch them, and they regurgitate a yellowish green liquid with a pungent aroma of Eucalyptus, which is the type of tree they feed on. They are best left alone. 

SR.

Great shot, SR.
Creepy little mo-fo's!

Madagascar Hissing Cockroach
UMgSNHn.jpg
Just happened this morning. The one next to the white one is an actual bug, the one in the corner is the white one's old shell.

Got a pretty neat 15x zoom clip on macro lens for my phone. This little jumping spider was extremely tiny, I could barely tell it was a spider without the camera. For scale he is sitting on a 1/4" diameter plant stake.

Qqh2Tju.jpg

KpFhYXl.jpg

Little guy snagged him some dinner 

0QVQMbN.jpg

4ZkwjIr.jpg

I was out walking my dog (well to be honest, my dog was out chasing kangaroos and I kept her company.) this afternoon where I stumbled upon something that I'd never seen before, an ant game trail.
20160420_172407.jpg

It would've been over one hundred meters (300ft) long, and 50mm (2 inches) wide.

Here are the guys responsible. 
20160420_172714.jpg

It was hard to get a good shot of the ants as they just wouldn't stay still.

SR.

Bugs are back, so me too. First is a sweat bee that finally stood still enough for a picture. The bee is solid green, any yellow in the appearance is it reflecting my red camera. I had to sit on the hive to get it, which is a very bad idea if you happen to be dealing with almost any other kind of bee.
DzLxA5f.jpg

Then here's a damselfly nymph that was climbing out of a pond sample in the bio lab. I have the full hatching process documented, but I don't want to make the post big so I'll show the start and end.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8pUpP3P3kLlUllyWE1hanhFSVE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8pUpP3P3kLlS0E5aUpaMjh6UTQ

Shorerider said:
I was out walking my dog (well to be honest, my dog was out chasing kangaroos and I kept her company.) this afternoon where I stumbled upon something that I'd never seen before, an ant game trail.
20160420_172407.jpg

It would've been over one hundred meters (300ft) long, and 50mm (2 inches) wide.

Here are the guys responsible. 
20160420_172714.jpg

It was hard to get a good shot of the ants as they just wouldn't stay still.

SR.

That is pretty cool, your dog chases Kangaroos? I bet that is fun to watch

Back